1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Define "Alexandrian Christology"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by UZThD, Jul 24, 2007.

1. UZThD

UZThD New Member

On the colleges and seminaries forum, my Christology was called "Alexandrian." I don't know why. But the context of that shows that the one who said it meant it as as an insult.

The thread was closed, so this question was not answered.

I would understand that "Alexandrian Christology" would refer to the Christology of the major theologians in Northern Africa of the 4th and 5th centuries.

Does it mean something else to folk here?

I have read several times the Christology of major Alexandrian writers as Athanasius and Cyril, and I do not agree wholly with it, especially with their writings about of the hypostatic union.

On that issue, I am more Antiochene , I am more like Nestorius, when read in primary sources, or Theodret in his responses to Cyril's 12 anathemas.

So, is "Alexandrian Christology" to some here a term of disrepect, a "put down," a remark describing liberals?

If so, why?

The issue is important as it is about how to understand the Person of Christ.

Bill

#1 UZThD, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Hello Bill,

I would see no reason to think that you have misunderstood the proper referent for "Alexandrian Christology." If one were to use it as a putdown that is a shame as if we've got this all figured out better than our predecessors. Theologians today would do well to revisit some of the primary sources like Cyril or even Maximus and see if the "Alexandrian" label has become a caricature like many other labels thrown around today.

BJ

3. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Hi Brandon

I do not like what I understand Cyril to say about the humanity of Christ.. IMO...Cyril is similar to Eutychian Christology..but I think that the one who made the remark to me probably has never read Cyril.., understands little about the topic...and did , therefore, not refer to the melding of deity and humanity in Christ.

I think many "put downs" here take the place of understanding...too bad!

At any rate, that is not my view, as I do not think that the nature of God mixes with the nature of Man in Christ. I like Chalcedon as far as it goes and the interpretation of it by Leo , Agatho, and Constantinople.

#3 UZThD, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007