1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Define Idolatry

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JarJo, Feb 9, 2012.

1. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

You do understand the difference between formal sufficiency and material sufficiency?

WM

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

ONLY the 66 Bible Books of the Canon of scriptures were/are the inspired word of God to us...

ANY other books in bible useful for historical backgrounds, but NOT for teaching/doctrines/practices!

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Do you understand that for ALL things concerning doctrines/practices/teachings of the Christian faith, the Bible is ONLY inspired revelation from God, and is ONLY divinely inspired authority in such things?

And that in regards to history, scientific etc Whatever the Bible discusses, it is without any mistakes in it, at least none barring ocassional scribal addition/revision etc that was done and added in while copying off the original text, that was fully without ANY errors in it!

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wrong! I believe the proper Majesterium for scripture is built into the scripture itself by what we call "context" and what the Scriptures commands to "compare spiritual things with spiritual" in connection with the Spirit of God that indwells every believer (1 Jn. 2:19).

Jesus demonstrated this principle by NEVER quoting Jewish Majesterium as final authority for doctrine or practice but always "it is written" in reference to scripture not tradition.

5. WestminsterMan

I do understand that. However, that's a far stretch from claiming that the Bible is the SOLE authority.

No disagreement here. But again, being error free doesn't bolster the claim that Scripture is the SOLE authority.

WM

6. WestminsterMan

I asked you if you know the difference between formal and material sufficiency and this is your response? Go figure....

WM

7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

When God Himself declaring that ONLY the Bible can claim to be such, it does!

8. WestminsterMan

Says who? Is there a list in the Bible that I overlooked describing what those 66 books are?

WM

9. WestminsterMan

Well, please show me where scripture states that scripture is the SOLE/ONLY authority.

WM

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Any verses to support that it is not?

What other sources did God say was in addition to His own Word?

11. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Botht the Jews of time of Christ, jesus and the Apsotles, and early church fathers recognised ONLY the 66 books as being inspired revelations of/from God!

RCC added in others, in order to support the validity of some of their false doctrines!

reformers recognised those extra books as being useful toread for historical data, NOT inspired as the 66 were though!

Historical facts intermixed with fables and legends, authors NOT inspired as Apostles/prophets were!

12. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do you know? Where you there? The didache was written as early as the Gospel of mark and by it we see Christian practicing Liturgical worship. Which historically makes sense because the apostles attending Temple liturgical worship as well as synagogues as the gospels attest to. So how do you know?

Not only do you have problems with your canon (should be 73) Never does the bible make the claim of itself that you make.

13. WestminsterMan

I'm not claiming anything so I don't really need to use scripture to prove the absence of something. That's an argument from silence.

Look - you are claiming that scripture is the SOLE/UNIQUE authority in scriptural matters. Thus it is incumbent upon you to provide scripture stating that very thing. One would think that if scripture IS the SOLE authority, it would certainly say that about itself.

WM

14. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Look at your sentence structure. You are basically claiming: "The bible says what I said it says" Which is the problem with protestantism. Why can't the bible just say what it says without your imput? I quoted from the NIV btw. And looking at your quotes its still doesn't say anything about it alone being the sole authority.

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Sorry I was over your head. Let me break it down in smaller bites for you. Material sufficiency as Rome defines it is that the Bible supplies the sufficient materials for doctrine and practice but does not give any formal expression and was not designed to but such formal presentation is supplied by the Roman Catholic Church as guided by counsels and traditions or the Majesterium.

Now, go back to my first response and you will see I am repudiating this fabricated non-Biblical distinction that Rome has imagined. The precepts of scripture give formal expression to doctrine, so that correction and instruction can be administered to those who do not conform to "this word" - Isa. 8:20

#115 The Biblicist, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
  16. WestminsterMan

Church Fathers? Can you provide these references?

Hmmm.... Just when did that happen and what are your sources?

Yes! Luther wanted to pull out James and Revelation and probably Hebrews.

And that means absolutely nothing.

WM

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The Bible says what it says and HOW it says it conveys the meaning. Isaiah 8:20 is the direct INSPIRED claim by the Prophet Isaiah that "THIS WORD" stands as the final authority to judge the trustworthiness for supposed knowledge coming from other sources other than "THIS WORD."

Very simply stated and very simple to understand unless you have blinders on. Take your blinders off!

2 Tim. 3:16-17 both explicitly and implicitly demands that "scriptures" and scriptures ALONE are sufficient for the man of God to be "THROUGHLY furnished unto ALL" good works when it comes to doctrine, correction, instruction, reproof, etc. Can't get it much clearer! Paul could not use the terms "throughly furnished" and "all" if doctrine, correction, instruction, reproof depended upon ANOTHER source in addition to "scriptures."

18. WestminsterMan

Let me simplify this a little...

For Scripture to be materially sufficient, it would have to contain or imply all that is needed for salvation. It does.

For it to be formally sufficient, it would not only have to contain all of this data, but it would have to be so clear that it does not need any outside information to interpret it. It does not.

You've repudiated nothing - there's the imagination factor.

WM

19. WestminsterMan

Taking the verse apart we see the following:
    1.Scripture is inspired by God Amen! The CC agrees with this.

2. Scripture is profitable (yielding advantageous results) for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. Again, Amen!

Additionally, since scripture is inspired, then by nature, it is authoritative. However, nowhere does the verse state that scripture is sufficient. Further, nowhere in scripture do we find the words scripture alone. If scripture were the only authority, then one would expect to find it explicitly stated in scripture. It isn’t, therefore, Sola Scriptura (ironically by your own standard) is not scriptural.

Well... there you go!

WM

20. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

What is the RCC "proof" that their extra biblical sources are any different from what Mormons claim though?

This is the slippery slope!

Bible IS said and confirmed by god to be a revelation from Himself, what proof can credit extra biblical claims and sources though?