1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Defining Terms (please read the first post)

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JeremyV, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a good intention here, so let us define the terminology from each of the various theologies we hold with, and allow for others to not agree that is how to rightly define it...

maybe go into the specific passages we get our definitions from in the scriptures themselves?

2. JeremyV

JeremyV Member

Let's hold definitions till after we've compiled a list of terms.

For many terms we will probably end up doing that, but I can't help but hope that on many terms we will be able to find common ground. We'll find out when we've finished brainstorming a list and start looking at definitions.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another basic problem is that we cannot seem to even agree on what happened to us as a result of the Fall, and how God operates to save us when we now have our fallen natures!

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that based on the definitions you gave many of them both sides will agree on. They are simply not specific enough.

5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Defining words is not the problem. Interpretations and applications of said words is the issue, which will not be resolved until Jesus returns and settles it. When you have people declaring that regeneration and conversion are two separate events you will never find agreement.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So let us simply toss the effort aside and devote our lives to fighting one another. Cool........brother.

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmmm......I believe this argument begun with Calvin, hence the name Calvinism......up til then it was pretty much agreed upon that man had a decision to make.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the debate started with Augustine (354-430) on what would later be called Calvinism. Then Gottschalk (808-867), Bradwardine (1290-1349)came along. It continued on up through Wycliffe, Luther, Whitefield, Nettleton, Spurgeon, AWP, and present day James White.

Just to name a few.

9. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

:eek: You can't be serious

Yes, IIRC, this was debated even in pre-reformation Catholicism. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Augustinian order, Luther's order, believe in sovereign election and a limited atonement (Hence the name Augustinian), contrary to what other orders believed?

#29 RLBosley, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then why isn't it called Augustinism?

11. JeremyV

JeremyV Member

I fail to see how history effects the validity of a system of beliefs. But even if it did, our purpose here is not to look at the validity of any system, but to try to lay the groundwork for a profitable discussion by trying to come to some kind of agreement on terms. Right now, we are brainstorming terms that we will look at individually. There will be plenty of time to get into all that other stuff later.

A special thanks to those that have been adding words to the list.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sometimes is called Augustinianism or even Pauline theology.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's a confused child, on the other thread he claims he is a Monergist... :laugh:

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you've got a list already.
    should be enough to get us going.
    so when's the party going to begin, and where, and who hosts it ?

15. JeremyV

JeremyV Member

Master List

You are absolutely right. I meant to post something earlier today. This is the list we have compiled so far.

Come
    Draw
    Will
    Works
    Called
    Decreed
    Ordained
    Faith
    Elect
    Chosen
    Predestined
    Salvation
    Conversion
    Regeneration
    Calvinism
    Arminianism
    Synergism
    Monergism

16. JeremyV

JeremyV Member

come

Let's first look at "come"
    "Come" is found througout the New Testament and is used in many different situations. It is also translated from several different Greek words. The following is a list of verses in the New Testement (in the KJV) that use the word in the context of "coming" to Jesus. This is divided by the Greek words used. Not all of these verses deal with salvation. If I missed any verses, let us know.
    erchomai Strong defines this word as meaning to come or go.
    Mat. 16:24, Mar. 8:34, Mar. 10:14, Luk. 9:23, Luk. 14:26, Luk. 14:27, Luk. 18:16, Joh. 5:40, Joh. 6:37, Joh. 6:44, Joh. 6:65, Joh. 7:34, Joh. 7:37, Joh. 8:21, Joh. 8:21, Joh. 13:33

eiserchomai According to Strong, this word is derived from erchomai and means to enter.
    Luk. 14:23

proserchomai According to Strong, this word is also from erchomai and means to approach.
    Heb. 7:25

deuro Strong tells us that this word has three possible meanings: here, the imperative 'hither!', or hitherto.
    Mar. 10:21, Luk. 18:22

deute According to Strong this word comes from deuro and is the imerative 'come hither!'
    Mar. 1:17, Mar. 6:31, Joh. 21:12

hēkō Strong defines this as to arrive or be present.
    Luk. 13:29, Joh. 6:37

chōreō Strong tells us that this mean to be in space (such as to pass or enter).
    2Pe. 3:9

What are your thoughts on how we should use the word "come"?

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am puzzled at what it is you hope to accomplish here. I can tell you what will happen.

You will discover that people define those terms differently. No one will come to equal terms on them. That will be as far as it gets with the exception that some people from both sides will misrepresent the view of the other side by characterizing the opposing view based on their bias and disdain for the opposing view. Sooner or later it becomes a cat fight.

You are not the first one to try something like this. Trying to do it in the way you want will be like trying to wrangle a herd of cats.

18. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev, you are spot on. I know that my definition of terms is not going to be decided by group consensus. Nor is yours. It is just something that needs to be worked out in a specific conversation. I doubt anyone is going to want their feet held to the fire.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't mind discussing those terms until someone characteizes my position based on thier bias and disdain. I will not tolerate some one else telling me what my postion is. Once I tell them what it is they need to respect it even though they disagree with it or I will not go further with them.

Kind of like the LS debates. Some folks do not only disagree with that position but disdain it and because of that they work to place it in the worst possible light they can. It is a dishonest form of crticism and should have no place in legitimate debate.

That was just one example. It is not the only one or the worst one.

Maybe we should not work to hold anyones feet to the fire, but instead have a conversation between brothers and sisters in Christ. Two completely different tones their.

20. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you in principle. The difficulty comes when we are discussing theological positions in which we disagree. Short of not discussing theological matters at all, there will be inherent struggles in explaining ourselves if the very words we use are up for debate. And that is the position of some. They just avoid debate altogether. "You believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe." I, for one, am glad that someone debated with me years ago which provoked me to study the issues for myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.