1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Definite article

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there a specific reason why, in the NT, the definite article "the" is placed in front of the Holy Ghost in some places but not others in the Greek?

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't studied the specifics of the definite article with the Holy Ghost, however, let me offer some generalities about Greek.

In Greek, you typically don't need the definite article as it is implied in the form of the noun. In fact, when you see the name Jesus in the nominative case it would be proper in Greek to understand it as "The Jesus." But, of course, in English that sounds strange because English typically doesn't work that way.

Certain times, though, the definite article is used to bring out a particular emphasis. It is my assumption, without getting deep into it, that this is why the biblical authors would use the definite article...so that there is no mistake.

So, that's my best guess without getting very technical or diving deep into my books.

Blessings,

The Archangel (see....there's the definite article! The moniker "Archangel" was already taken...so I used the definite article.)

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The" Archangel gave a good response.:thumbs:

I have found myself, over the last couple of years, deliberately dropping the "the" when I speak of God, Holy Spirit. I will ususally just say "Holy Spirit" or "God, Holy Spirit" when referencing the 3rd person of God.

peace to you:praying:

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James Elder Cumming, from the concluding paragraph of "Appendix II: On the Use of the Greek Article Before the Names of the Spirit of God", in Through the Eternal Spirit: A Biblical Study on the Holy Ghost: