1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

definition of being drunk

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Nchristian, Apr 14, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Not all rotting is bad. Aged Beef is pretty good stuff. :D </font>[/QUOTE]How many steaks get you drunk?

:rolleyes:
    In HIS service;
    Jim

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I can see it now:

"Sir, I pulled you over because you were under the influence of Tofu!"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's not as crazy as it sounds. [​IMG]

4. natters

natters New Member

So does cheese. [​IMG] Which is also "rotted" in a sense. But not all alcoholic drinks stink - I love the smell of Bailey's...

Ever been to a meat packers? Not exactly a flower shop either. ;) Also, God did not say you're better off not drinking it. He said you're better off not abusing it.

God gave wine as a blessing, and allows us to enjoy it if used in moderation (Gen 27:28, Deut 7:13, Deut 11:14, Deut 28:39, Judges 9:13, 1 Chr 12:40, 2 Chr 31:5, Song of Songs 5:1, Psa 104:14-15, Prov 3:9-10, Prov 31:6, Ecc 9:7, Isa 25:6, Isa 55:1, Jer 35:2, Amos 9:13-15, and others). Amazing how many people here would disagree with plain scripture, simply because others abuse God's gift.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Song of Solomon 5:1
    1 I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.

What does this have to do with drinking alcohol in moderation?

6. natters

natters New Member

Ah, yes, that verse is interesting. The drinking sounds a little bit deeper than "in moderation". Especially the last "abundantly" part, which is translated as "drunken" almost everywhere else it appears in the Old Testament.

7. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I know the beer I am drinking right now sure tastes good while reading this garbage.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Proverbs 23:32-33
    32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
    33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No one mentioned, unless I missed it, that's it's not just about what "I" want, what "I" can handle, what "I" think about what the Bible says about drinking, etc. -- it's also about our influence on others.

We live in a society (speaking of the U.S. here so the others don't have to take it as for them) where thousands are killed by drunk drivers and where we have who knows how many alcoholics. Even if it's fine biblically to have a glass of wine now and then (and I actually think it is), that does not mean we need to do it except in the privacy of our homes or with friends we know don't mind.

But I choose not to drink so that it cannot be used against me or my ministry, so that I don't cause a weaker brother to stumble, and so that my son (and his friends, including some unsaved ones)sees an example of an adult who can enjoy life without drinking. It's that simple.

10. billreber

billreber New Member

I have only read the first page of this forum, and so if I repeat something sombody else has already said, I apologize.

To me, being "drunk" only takes one drink. Since that is true for me, I abstain from drinking alcoholis beverages. I CANNOT control myself if I start drinking. Therefore, I do not drink!

I have a very good friend who CAN control himself after a beer. For him, there is no problem in having one drink. Therefore, he can have that occasional beer, and he does.

The emphasis Paul gave SHOULD be recognized as "be controlled by the Spirit". If the Spirit is not in control, whatever the "sin" is, DO NOT DO IT! That goes for Mountain Dew, food, alcohol, sex, and so forth.

Bill

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

&lt;&lt;&lt;Proverbs 23:32-33
    32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
    33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.&gt;&gt;&gt;

"AT THE LAST"...what is this referring to? The end of a drinking binge? When do your eyes behold strange women? When you are drunk.