1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Degree Eqivalence?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, May 30, 2005.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Rhet,

I don't disagree. But I would rather get the Ph.D. and then do a distance learning M.Div. if the seminary required it.

Really, how much of a M.Div. would be left if I already had a Ph.D.? Couldn't be much.

Take some practical theology courses and preaching courses, etc.

Piece of cake.

While a person is teaching in the "university" setting he can pick up the view remaining courses he would need to earn the M.Div.

I've seen this done before.

Now if a person knew absolutely that he was not going to get sidetracked, then it wouldn't matter.

B.A., M.Div., Ph.D. works fine.

Kind of off track, but entrance to the M.Div. should be allowed with an A.A. degree.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul33,

Responses:

First:
    Why should the MDiv & AA have the same entrance requirements? If the MDiv is a REAL master's and I will guarantee you mine was. Then, should a Master's degree not have a read BA/BS of some kind as its basis? One of the problems we have now is that our preachers specialize before they generalize and do not have a good Liberal Arts education and/or background.

Secondly:
    I don't think that MDiv is going to be as easy to get as you think via DL. If you check the seminary catalogues, as I do almost for a hobby, you will find that at least 1/3 to 1/2 half of the MDiv work must be done in residence. If you do one at an RA or ATS school that is. I really do want to look at the program online or catalogue that allows less of the MDiv to be done non-resident. Check it out and let me know if you find any. I really don't think it will be as easy (I hope I am wrong) as you think it will be.

Finally:
    "What would please the Master?" now at this juncture of your young life is probably the most important issue! Remember he said, "Follow me!" to Peter.

Food for thought!

sdg!

rd

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

In dentistry, many programs only require two years of college before entrance.

The historical fact is that the M.Div. used to be a B.Div. Why don't we just admit that fact and allow students to enter the M.Div. with an A.A. Then after three years of seminary (M.Div.), students would be at the same spot their secular counterparts are at.

I attended TEDS and there was no reason why I couldn't have begun seminary after two years of college.

Actually, the whole process needs to be reconsidered.

Fours of of college with a religion major. Two years Greek, two years German, OT and NT Introduction. 12 credits of systematic theology, church history, history of Christianity, etc. Then go to seminary for one year, earn the M.Div. and off to Ph.D. land we go.

Personally, I didn't find seminary any more difficult than college.

4. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul33,

Maybe we need to consider changing the MDiv to a "DD" or some such. Come in with 2 yrs of gen.ed. courses or an "AA" then go right to the DD. Make the whole deal like the PharmD, a six year professional doctorate. Then everyone could have the "DR" degree and title. But, this would surely keep most from doing the "professional degree" for it would be too long and hard and drawn-out!

But, that would do a great deal of disservice, IMO, to all of the congregations and classrooms of students b/c their leaders would only know how to do "pastor's stuff." They would be "ignorant" on some level and not know much about western literature, western civilization, Greek Mythology, mathematics, logic, rhetoric, public address, humanities, arts, and any number of a plethora of Western backgrounds that make for a "well educated" bachelor's degreed person.

Again, I try to speak and make a case that we specialize before and overly before we generalize. This seems to be a constant sub-thread through many of these discussions.

Are we looking for excellence as servants of Christ, Christian ministers, pastors of churches, and seminary academics? Or, are we just looking for an easy "educational fix," get a degree and get to the field route? It seems the later is mainly the case.

DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND! I AM NOT ACCUSING YOU OF ANYTHING PERSONALLY!!!!!

It just seems that the tone of some of the discussions is quickness RATHER THAN and IN PLACE of excellence. That is my case in a nut-shell!

EXCELLENCE is linear rather than puctilliar. Did out Lord not say FOLLOW ME!

My two cents worth!

sdg!

rd

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

When the Bachelor of Divinity (today's MDiv) was the primary seminary offering, wasn't a bachelor's degree a prerequisite? Typically, students entered seminary (as did I) with a non-theological undergrad degree from a liberal arts institution. The specialization came with the BD. Students could then go to the ThM.

Perhaps I'm too much of a traditionalist, but I think a good case can be made for students gaining a liberal arts education prior to theological studies. Such an education, IMO, enhances theological studies and makes the minister a more well-rounded individual, able to communicate with a broader audience.

I realize there are exceptions and I realize that a case can be made for the undergrad theological degree prior to seminary.

Blessings,
    Bill

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus (Bill),

Thanks for the "PS" on what I said!!

rd

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Broadus and Rhet,

I don't disagree with what your saying. I just believe that a well-rounded education can be had with 70 liberal arts credits and a 96 credit M.Div.

You are right. There is a real push in all fields to specialize after two years. My daughter attends Auburn University and I can't believe how technical most of the B.A. degrees are instead of focusing on liberal arts.

So you probably have a point.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    70 AA + 96 MDiv?

Probably very equivalent to my 130 BA + 36 MA

After 1/2 of my BA was liberal arts, the other was all pastoral/languages, etc which would be duplicated in MDiv.

(It's NOT going to happen. Remember it took a huge push to get the MDiv after 96 grad credits instead of a BDiv (not changed until nearly 1970)

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. My pastor had a B.A. and B.Div. from Northwestern.

TEDS started offering the M.Div. in 1969.

10. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul33,

Along the same lines, I try to tell young men going into the ministry to go and get some sort of BA/BS so they can "make a living;" i.e., teaching or some such. That way then can always have an income and not be pressed to depend on a congregation for their money.

Rather than doing "Bible college" and then repeating much or the "general stuff" or entry level material @ seminary. Courses like OT Survey, NT Survey, etc. Then, when they get to seminary or grad school, they can actually do "advanced courses" and do a "real master's degree."

In Baptist Life in the South there is a glut of preachers. One can hardly throw a stone without hitting a preacher.

sdg!

rd

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul33,

I thought of something else after the last post.

If one does want to do a PhD, then the BA/BS is surely going to be a pre-reg. Unless it were in the sciences, I am not sure a grad school committee would approve anyone's entry who did not have the BA/BS "in hand?"

I am thrown back on the same logic that I tried to use for the MDiv degree. "More is better than less" generally when it comes to eduation. And a "well rounded (theological) education" is more well rounded IF it has a BA/BS AND the MDiv degree.

A PhD built on these must be better necessarily than one built on 70+ AA hrs and the MA degree. Again, are we looking for "easy" or are we looking for "faster is better?"

And again, define where you want to be and then the path becomes much more plain. TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD!!

sdg!

rd

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Churches are getting harder and harder on preachers. If I remember right when I was in seminary (SWBTS) they told us the average time for a preacher is two years at a chruch and only 20 percent have a church after five years. Fifty percent of those who start seminary do not graduate.

13. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    gb93433,

Those are consistent stats that I have heard for my nearly 23+ years in the ministry.

I would say just from my own limited experience and perspective that it is really worse with those who seek a teaching career in the grad school of religion, Bible college, seminary, liberal arts Christian college, or even secular university. All of the fields are just absolutely running over with "PhD"s who cannot find a position.

That is why I have posted and "rhetoricized" for:

1. Excellence!

2. Education built upon the BA or BS degrees!

3. MDiv degrees!

4. (+) Perhaps an MA degree ALSO!

5. Something to make one unique and stand apart from the crowd!

6. A BA/BS degree that will help one make a living and not leave the family "high and dry" and dependent upon the congregation's whim!

7. Biblical Languages!

8. MA/ThM thesis!

9. Practical pastoral &/OR missionary expeience!

THERE ARE NO SHORT-CUTS TO THE TEACHING PROFESSION; and even then you may still have to make your own living for the family.

I hate to quote a US Army commercial but: "Be all you can be!" as unto the Lord!!

sdg!

rd

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey All,

Just as a side note (or parenthesis).

Dr.Bob is talking above about a "130 hr" BA/BS.

In TN The Board of Regents has just pushed the BA/BS programs for the "State Universities" (not the comprehensive UT system, I don't know about them) down to around 120 hrs. base. I know this to be true for we, at the college where I teach, had to realign all of our programs to fall in line with the state programs in order to compete.

This may be a new "state university" norm/move or just another way of "dumbing down" education.

FYI!

sdg!

rd

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

There is no real glut of preachers. Just ask the dozens of cities in the west with little or no gospel witness. Ask the large metropolitan areas of this country (such as Detroit, New York, Chicago, LA). Ask the Chinese, the Indians, the Africans. There are plenty of places that need pastors and preachers. There may be a glut of those who actually want to go somewhere and do the job, away from their southern comfort zone.

Paul says that his MDiv wasn't harder than college. I can't imagine that. It is much more focused and rigorous, typically, but of course that depends on where you go.

I think the BDiv used to be built off of a non-religious BA wasn't it? I think this was mentioned, but I don't know for sure (whether it was mentioned or whether it was true).

Paul also mentioned about getting a PhD first and then an MDiv, saying that the PhD would put you ahead for an MDiv. Academically, the PhD is a terminal degree, the MDiv is not. It would be kind of backwards I think to do it that way. In most cases, I think an MDiv gives advanced standing in a PhD program, does it not?

I think the bottom line here is that it depends on what you want to do. Here is my perspective: If you want to pastor, get an MDiv and then a PhD if you desire. If you want to teach college, get a PhD. If you want to teach seminary, get an MDiv, ThM, and PhD.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The pacific northwest people in the SBC will tell you that they have found southern preachers do not work out very well there. It is primarily because pastors in those areas must be much more driven because they have to work harder. I spoke with them about pastoring there and that is what I was told. When I told them I was from the area then they were willing to talk.

I found the M.Div. a piece of cake compared to when I was studying physics. So it depends on your major and strengths and weaknesses. Some of the classes I had, should have been taken by lay people in the church before they came and others I had to work hard. I knew men in the M.Div. that told me they found it quite easy but they had gone to places like Baylor and Moody.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some of my friends who have been excellent pastors are now wanting to teach because of all the conflict in the SBC.

I have found that people who are willing to work and do ministry. Those who are lazy are most often the complainers.

The field I am in now (Industrial Technology) is needing professors badly. They expect 25 percent of the professors to retire within the next five years. Among high schools in the same field they range from a need of 9 percent to 23 percent just for next year. In fact quite a number of schools have discontinued the program simply because they cannot get teachers.

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Iwouldn't be surprised. Church planting or small church pastoring and growht is hard work. IT seems that many want a big church handed to them rather than working for it, but I would not by any means broadbrush that to say "all men," or even speak of specific groups.

I didn't find it particularly hard. But it was certainly rigorous and a very high level was expected. A lot does depend on educational background and intellectual ability.

Of course, physics would be harder than theology in many ways. Theology is certainly not the hardest discipline no matter what school or degree you are working on. It is the only one with eternal consequences though.

19. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does work for obtaining these degrees require courses in spelling and grammar, as well as typing and editing? [​IMG]

20. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ain't not done seem no button for spel chek! Do they be one here sommers?

rd