1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Degree Is It Worth the Paper?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BobinKy, Dec 6, 2010.

?
  1. Yes, definitely worth the cost.

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No, not worth the cost.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Sorta--It opens doors.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Sorta--It meets my denomination's criteria.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Ask me in 30 years.

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. Other, please post your comments.

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

In your case John, it was definitely worth it. You are using your education to serve the Lord. But for those who come out of Seminary puffed up and thinking they're smarter than everyone else, it is a total waste of time and money.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my heart, there is nothing greater than serving Christ. What a privilege to serve the Lord of the universe! Seminary can give one the tools to serve Christ, but not the Christian character and motivation.

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

A good education is like a good tool. It makes the job easier, but you have to use it correctly or it could be a danger to you and others.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Agreed BUT I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water here. It's not actually the degree, but what the degree forces us to learn. Can we learn the same on our own? maybe, but the degree keeps us on track to get accomplish the learning.

I know not all programs or degrees are equal . . . (I am an educator after all ;) )

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And you have all of those. :)

I still think of you every time I go to Murfreesboro and see John Rice Blvd.

#25 Amy.G, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I lived with them for a year where Sam's Club and JRR Blvd. are now. Have fond memories of playing "42 Dominos," riding horses, etc. with Grandma and Grandpa.

John R. Rice had seminary training but no advanced degrees. (A fellow student at college once said, "John R. Rice's doctorate is not earned." I replied, "Yeah, but he has five of them!") He is a great example of someone greatly used of God, yet with no advanced degrees. He studied extensively and did his best to seek the truth on any subject. While I worked for him he asked me to get his library in order--it took up a whole room, probably 10,000 volumes or more! When he wrote his book on the Charismatic movement he probably read 20-30 books in preparation.

A similar example is Charles Fuller, founder of Fuller Seminary. He had no advanced degrees, but ended up hiring and firing many with doctorates! Bob Jones Sr. is another example of an evangelist/educator with no advanced degrees. There are many such movers and shakers.

7. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

I am one of those in the pew.

John, I always try to read and study your posts. I have never met you, but I feel I know you because of the way you write about the various topics here on BaptistBoard.com. Please continue to write your posts. God does indeed speak through you.

...Bob

8. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Wisdom is also knowing when to confront those who are puffed up in such a way to inform them of their error but not crush their spirit.

God uses those in the pews to teach humility and other lessons not learned in seminary.

And sometimes the student does not learn these lessons until many years later.

...Bob

9. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I wish I had said that!!!!

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the kind words. I don't plan to quit the BB yet...though I've thought about it. ;)

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friend, I respect you here on the BB. But this answer is what I call Americo-centric. Please think globally. In most countries around the world the mentor method is the way to go, and that is what my Bible school is promoting, especially with the pastoral courses. However, it is almost impossible to get an education in the original languages in most places in Japan.

Here in my city of 320,000 or so, I am the only person capable of teaching Greek, missionary or Japanese. (A new missionary has taught it in America, but doesn't have enough Japanese yet.) I teach Greek to a Methodist man in his 50's who wants to be a pastor but can in no way go off to seminary. There is only one other Bible institute on the island of Hokkaido (several million people), down in Sapporo. You can take beginning Greek there but they have no Hebrew classes.

I spoke at a Bible institute in a Muslim country last year. No Greek or Hebrew. In fact, I would guess that in any Gospel resistant country (Islamic, Buddhist) you would be hard put to find courses in the original languages. Yet those men I met last year (and the Japanese pastors I know) have great spritual depth and ability, and make great pastors. I'm in awe at the love for the Word and the deep commitment those young pastors-in-training have. They face daily persecution: beatings, hatred, anger. Surely their character makes up for all the Greek or Hebrew knowledge you and I may have!

12. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

You are correct; I should have qualified my statement as referring to the situation in the U.S. In other countries, the mentor/apprentice approach may be the best way to go. And certainly those who are not able to get access to the languages for such reasons as you have listed here, are not to be blamed for such. But this is a lot different from those in the U.S., who have the ability, but choose the "quick and easy" path...

Also, I bet these faithful men and women would LOVE to learn to read the languages, and would be willing to put in the time. They would probably admit, as my pastor does, that there studies are more limited because of that lack of knowledge. That is a lot different than what people are saying on this board, that is, that it is just as good NOT to go to Seminary...

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for a good answer. Our world mission, "that's where it's at" for the 21st century Christian.

I'm currently corresponding with an African pastor who wants to come to Japan as a missionary. Don't even know yet if he's baptistic! He doesn't have a theological education yet, and of course I'll advise him to get one, even though he's very eager to get to Japan right away (typical and refreshing missionary candidate attitude). But is there a seminary near him? Maybe not even in his country! But with his humble attitude and zeal he may make a better pastor than you or I!