1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Degree- worth the paper?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

This is true. God's call on each of his servants is different; each has a particular use that is for Christ's glory. Unfortunately, far too many people are interested in self-serving and self-congratulatory efforts. I can see no real purpose in this topic other than to try to pat oneself on the back. My suggestion is that we follow the Lord's lead and call and leave the rest up to him.

I am not F.F. Bruce or D.A. Carson, yet I understand how God has used them. I am also not a country preacher, yet I can understand how Christ is using them. To try to rank the contributions of such men based on their education is more than folly, I believe it to be sinful. God is not a respecter of persons and certainly not of degrees...if He has given you the opportunity to pursue a good education, we should do it for His glory, not for our own ego.

2. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Is it easier? Yes. But in actuality both can get the job done when necessary. Some have not had the "thousands of dollars" to invest in theological training. Some have not had the opportunity. My grandfather was one of the most learned men I have ever known when it came to the Scriptures, and he only had an 8th grade education. I have had the benefit of theological training and I am blessed and thankful for it. But I don't believe it makes me any better than my grandfather who devoted himself to a lifetime of Bible study.

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I see it the same way brother. And I wish this brothers eyes to be open to how he looks to the Lord in this, and to others, who are his brothers and sisters that love him and want him ulitmately to change and have humility. He is not broken.

I wish he were.

Thank you.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much better said than what I put out there -- scripture much better than my opinion.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

#45 Luke2427, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2010
  6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I for one am thankful I can stand on the shoulders of giants - many who have spent a lifetime in deeper study/understanding than I will ever have.

They are educated and then passed this on as professors, speakers and writers. Isn't this exactly what we are supposed to be doing?

Best trained in the early church were disciples of Jesus who had lived nearly 4 years with Him 24/7. Paul later added to them. Glad Jesus added Paul (PhD) to write the DOCTRINE of the NT. If Peter had, we'd have a mess on our hands!!

Paul: And the things which you [Timothy, 2nd generation] have heard from me verified by others, these entrust to faithful men [3rd generation], who will be able to teach others [4th generation] also.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, once again, you are arguing against a straw man. Please point out where I said it makes you BETTER.

Find that and then you may justify this post as something more than a straw man.

Otherwise, this is nothing but a straw man.

I have been very clear that seminary education gives one more Bible knowledge than the average layman.

This does not make the graduate BETTER than a layman.

Who would actually say such a thing? I wish you guys would find him and debate him.

If you wish to debate me- debate what I actually say, please.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, you are not saying anything at all differently from what I have been saying, though in a better way- I wonder if Amy and others are going to call you arrogant for the above post.

#48 Luke2427, Dec 5, 2010
  9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I think this serves no other purpose than to antagonize.

I find it insulting and demeaning and baseless.

It is certainly inflammatory and makes no arguments concerning the discussion.

It seems like there is something in the rules that prevents this kind of thing.

I could be wrong.

10. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

Until I started reading this thread I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you but now I am afraid of being labled as arrogant. In all seriousness though I believe that you asked the perfect question. "Isn't this exactly what we are supposed to be doing"? I fully realize that the Holy Spirit is the one who illuminates Scripture for the believers understanding. I am not in any way minimizing that. I do believe that those who would stand in front of a body of believers and exposit Gods Word can rightly be expected to know more than the average layperson that sits in the pews. I know that I expect my pastor to know more about the Bible than I do. How do you lead and guide if you don't have more knowledge? If the pastor is not an "expert" of sorts than how can he help someone with understanding a difficult passage or figuring out how it is to be applied. The reality is that we as laypeople fully expect that our pastors DO in fact have more knowledge than we do we just don't always like to admit it.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This got buried.

#51 Luke2427, Dec 5, 2010
  12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What we are not supposed to be doing is saying that because "we" are scholars we know "our" theology is the correct one because we have studied more and care more about scripture than you do. That is what this is all about.

Why can't a layperson dig out as much as a scholar? Is the Holy Spirit not the layperson's teacher? Can only a scholar know the deep things of God?

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not allow the 'little foxes to spoil the vine' or take your joy. This thread proves some here actually think ignorance is some spiritual plus. The day we quit learning and trying to increase in wisdom and knowledge is a sad day . . for us.

I would trust this is most often the case. So that they might assist you and give a response to the unsaved who raise really tough questions. This is the duty of the elder and why Jesus gave His bride these men.

So if a mormon confronts me, I sure need more than a "be warmed and filled" for an answer. If a church member asks me about the hypostatic union of Christ and how it impacts both us today and the church in history, I sure had better know. Or be able to find the answer for them quickly.

Education is our friend and expected of elders. He is not to be a novice, but a veteran/experienced and capable.

And, part of my role as an elder is to TEACH. Hello. Teach = Knowing more than the learner.

14. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

There...is that "better"?

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Thanks. Yes it is.

It does mean that you have knowledge that your grandfather does not have. You have tools in your tool box that far exceed those in his.

You have a grasp on the original languages.

You understand things about church history and the creeds, etc... that he does not know.

You have been equipped with a firm grip on hermeneutics.

Your grandfather would probably tell you that you have more knowledge on these matters than he does and that you know more about the Bible than he does, would he not?

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The Holy Spirit does not teach folks Greek and Hebrew anymore (unless you believe tongues are for today).

The Holy Spirit does not fill the mind via osmosis with important knowledge about church history.

The Holy Spirit does not teach philosophy.

The only time he does do these things is when the student applies himself to higher learning.

God honors hard work and sacrifice in the pursuit of the knowledge of Scripture. That is seen most clearly in seminary.

17. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

If he were alive he would probably agree that I have had exposure to much greater theological training opportunities than he had...would he agree that I know more about the Bible than he does? No. My grandfather studied Greek and was a huge fan of reading about church history. I traveled a different path in terms of obtaining the knowledge I possess. A path that was not a possibility for my grandfather. But we both arrived at the same destination. Are there certain areas of strength in my theological studies that I probably have greater knowledge of than he did? Sure. But there are other areas in which he was far superior to what I am now or may ever be. Church history certainly being one of those. He devoured that kind of information while I forced myself to plod through what was necessary. I sat under some great theological minds in my seminary training and was blessed for it, but it also always brought a smile to my face when one of my profs would use a quote from someone who my grandfather had once quoted to me.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's a wonderful testimony- seriously. I was very close to my grandfather as well. I tear up every time I here that old Randy Travis song- "I Thought He Walked on Water".

But your illustration proves too much. Your grandfather cannot by any means be considered to be an "average layman".

If you will peruse this thread you will see that is the phrase I used repeatedly. I said the seminary graduate is going to have more Bible knowledge than the "average layman".

Your illustration actually proves my point for me. Here you are a seminary grad and the first illustration that comes to your mind about a layman knowing as much as a seminary grad is this extraordinary man who actually studied Greek. Thus you prove the TREMENDOUS advantage formal training gives a person over the average layman.

How many layman match the caliber of your grandfather? An extraordinarily small percentage- one no doubt with multiple zeros in a row behind the decimal point.

He is, as I have said repeatedly, the exception not the rule. I have stated repeatedly that there are a very few exceptions like Charles Spurgeon.

You are proving my point.

19. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Sorry. But if you think that proves your point your wrong.

He had no formal training, just an intense desire to understand God's word. Which is something anyone is capable of whether they ever sit in a seminary class or not.

20. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

When you use the terms "scholar" and "layperson" how do you mean them? I believe that anyone who is willing to put in the time and effort of studying and learning and disciplining themselves for this can absolutely pull out the deep truths of Gods word. At that point though, in my opinion the layperson has crossed from layperson to scholar. I do not believe that a person that has not spent years in study and gaining of knowledge can go to the Bible and pull out the same amount of information that someone who has spent years of study can. I believe that it is a fallacy to suggest that. The bottom line is that anyone who is willing to dedicate themselves to fervently studying Gods word can learn the deep truths of it, but then that person becomes a scholar and not a "layperson".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.