1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Degree- worth the paper?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

#81 Luke2427, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think its about time to shut this one down.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sigh. We're just a bunch of dummies.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At this point, I believe you're too blinded to see anyone else's viewpoint.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He thinks there are only "three or four" here who find him arrogant?

#86 Jerome, Dec 6, 2010
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like Amy said, you are really not one to point fingers...and besides, I was being facetious. How anyone can get reformed theology from what I posted, I can not undertand.
    I was stating a fact, your reading comprehension is quite poor based on the replies I have read from you over the weeks. I was not attacking you, but your ability to listen. You argue things that are never said...and then cry "strawman argument".

#87 webdog, Dec 6, 2010
  8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Or could it be that you're blind and cannot see my and several others on this thread's view point?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It could be...but I don't see it (pun intended) :D

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Ad hominem. No argument- just an assault of character.

the more firm you stand on anything and the more you persevere to defeat an opposing view point the more people are going to call you names like arrogant and abrasive.

The way to avoid this is to drive by post like you did here.

I don't care what people call me.

I care about what is true.

I am not running for office on baptistboard. I use this place to test my ideas against contrary ones and to persuade some of the truth that stands that test.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Why is it always the people without the higher education degrees that feel like they are not of equal worth, or conversely, who complain that people with said degrees think too highly of themselves?

Perhaps envy? I'm not trying to be facetious here, but a clear trend is emerging from this and other threads on this subject. The ones who have not taken the time to go to school are trying hard (too hard!) to prove their worth.

Let me say this very clearly...

WORTH is not determined by education. Nor is the ability to follow after Christ. Nor is understanding of the Scriptures. Nor is the amount of time one spends in the Word.

Education, especially seminary education merely teaches tools that are useful in gaining a better understanding of the Bible in the context of history, grammar, language, culture, and theology.

It will come as a complete shock to persons who have never entered the domain of a theological seminary, but the "whole Bible" is rarely taught. That is not the purpose of seminary, and that is why persons who are seminary grads may or may not actually know the Bible any better than what we are calling the laity (no distinction is made in Scripture between laity and/or clergy or professionally trained persons). That depends on that individual actually reading and learning the Word.

But seminary will teach the original languages, hermeneutics, theology (multiple ways, from systematic to biblical, etc.), church history, cultural anthropology, exposition and exegesis of Scripture, and other TOOLS that are very useful in learning the Word, so that when the trained person sits down with the Word, they will know how to "rightly divide the Word of Truth."

Seminary also does not (often) teach "people skills" such as how to sit and pray with a person at the hospital, how to officiate a funeral or a wedding, etc. Those skills are learned through church discipleship. Every seminary has some form of "practicum" a class devoted to teaching the pastoral distinctions and techniques used in the local church, but there is only just so much that any person can learn in a one-semester course that covers a such a wide variety of issues.

So, what good is a seminary degree? It is of immense good! Why? Because our calling is to prepare God's people for the work of the ministry and the better equipped we are to do so, the more apt we will be at doing so.

My recommendation is to pop into the closest local seminary and sit in on some classes. The profs love it when people do that, and the seminary usually welcomes visitors with open arms, at least the one I attended did and does -- The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, in Louisville, Kentucky. Drop in and I'll be happy to give you a tour and introduce you to some great men who teach other men how to be great...

15. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

Do the ones with a degree have a head start or leg up on the ones who don't? I suppose that could be debated, but I certainly don't think those who have the degree, the assumption should just be made that they are smarter/more qualified.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The argument here is that those with a good degree have more knowledge than the average layman.

That tends to mean they are more qualified for leadership in ministry, yes.

There are exceptions, but that is the rule.

We don't want doctors who have no education doing surgery on us.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but I stayed at the Holiday Inn last night..... :tongue3:

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Luke is fond of throwing out types of logical fallacies, you might ask him which one this falls under.

For example, I have a master's degree. From Liberty.

19. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I'll take this type of education over any cemetary...uh I mean Seminary.

Perhaps Paul was talking about the scholarly when he said:

Alright, I know Paul was addressing the Roman Governor, Festus, but I still think this might apply to some of today's clergy.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Depends on how much you have spent, no? Isn't that the true gauge used to determine Holy Spirit inspired knowledge? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.