1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DEGREES of Sin

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, May 19, 2006.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Well you have your:

Sins not unto death
    1Jn:5:17: All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Sins of Ommission. Which means failure to do things the Bible tells you that you ought to be doing.

Willful Sins. Heb:10:26: For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
    Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that cannot be forgiven.

Sins that make you fall away where it is impossible to be renewed again to repentance
    Hebrews 6:4-6 4: For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
    And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
    If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost
    Mt:12:31: Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Don't necessarily know about the rest (actually I do, but not for this post) but I obviously ain't committed 'a sin unto death', 'cause, last time I checked, I was still breathing! :rolleyes: :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

3. billwald

billwald New Member

The Catholic system of misdemeanor and felony sins makes sense.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Claudia,

All sin is willful.

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

rbell,

You think so? I dont think so because there are plenty of sins we can be doing in ignorance... to start with... remember the Bible passages that talks about God winking at sin in times of ignorance?

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

James 1:14--

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Yes, I think so.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sin is sin to God, it is man who grades how bad some sin is compared to others. All men die a physical death...because a piece of fruit was eaten when God specifically said not to. How would this sin be "graded" by man if a mother told her daughter not to eat the grapes in the fridge? It meant death to all, from God's view.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Sin a transgression of the law.
    It is just as bad to go 60 mph over the limit as it is to go 10 mph. In both scenarios you have broken the law.

It is just as bad to lie as it is to murder.
    In both cases you have broken God's law. One law is not any greater than the other. The consequences may be greater, but the law isn't. Any sin is great enough to condemn a person to hell. Sin is a transgression of the law--any law. There are no degrees of sin.
    Cheating on your taxes is just as bad as homosexuality. Both are a transgression of God's law.

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

And accordingly: if you have cheated on your taxes, or just told a "little white lie," you are just as guilty as the murderer or the homosexual.
    DHK

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Proverbs 6:

16: These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
    17: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
    18: An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
    19: A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Does anyone think God hates these things mentioned more than other stuff? and if so, why?

Im just trying to think of all these different things in the Bible where it seems like God hates them worse than others and then see what people's opinions might be...

10. billwald

billwald New Member

&gt;Sin is sin to God

If so then all OT sins would have the same punishment.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Sin is a transgression of the law.
    All sin has the same punishment.
    The wages of sin is death--eternal death or separation for all eternity in a place called Hell.
    Only one sin, no matter what it is, is enough to condemn a person to Hell.
    DHK

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Hi DHK,
    What is your take on this verse?
    Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Ed; If a sin unto death meant the natural death then why would the Lord say not to even pray for it?
    If the dude is dead he is dead, we don't need to be told not to pray for him. We should have better sense.I don't agree with you.

DHK; You say sin is transgession of the Law. Which Law are you talking about?

I don't agree with DHK either that going 10miles over speed limit is same as going 100 miles over. Have you ever paid the ticket for each? I bet you change your mind quick. I also doubt if the Lord watches our speed meters in our cars anyway. [​IMG]

14. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Do all sins get the same punishment? Do you get the same punishment for telling a lie as you get for killing a person? :confused:

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

well for sure at least ONE of those "sins" I mentioned in the opening text is very important... the one about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit because when you do that you cannot be forgiven...

I think that PRIDE is probably the worst sin. The reason I say that is because if we have pride God cant get through to us about anything else.
    [​IMG]

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

well I dont think Hitler would get the same punishment as someone who ran a red light

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I'm with DHK and webdog on this one. In Gods eyes ..a sin is a sin.

It is man that places degrees on sin.

18. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Are you trying to tell me that if your son comes to you and tells you that he killed another child in school then for you there's no difference compared to your son stealing candies at the supermarket? :confused:

We are very well able to see that these 2 crimes are not the same. If we are able to recognize this then shouldn't God able to recognize this as well? Why should we be more sensitive to sin than God? All sins are the same in the sense of separating us from God but I wouldn't say that this means that all sins have the same weight.

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Are you trying to tell me that if your son comes to you and tells you that he killed another child in school then for you there's no difference compared to your son stealing candies at the supermarket? :confused:

We are very well able to see that these 2 crimes are not the same. If we are able to recognize this then shouldn't God able to recognize this as well? Why should we be more sensitive to sin than God? All sins are the same in the sense of separating us from God but I wouldn't say that this means that all sins have the same weight.
    </font>[/QUOTE]no difference? ME? well...yes to me there is a difference. But I am only a man.

God...no No difference to Him. God sees all sins in the same light.

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The soul (person) that sins shall die.
    It is a general principle stated elsewhere:
    "The wages of sin is death."
    The rest of the verse simply teaches that each person is accountable for their own sin. If my son goes astray he does so out of his own choice. He chooses, not me, to sin. He will be accountable before God for his own sin, not me.
    DHK