1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DeLay isn't quite done...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by The Galatian, Apr 7, 2006.

1. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

SUGAR LAND — U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay's campaign staff invited supporters to disrupt a news conference today by the Democrat vying for his seat, turning it into a shouting, finger-pointing shoving match.

The disruption by more than two dozen DeLay supporters drowned out Nick Lampson's message. Delay's staff indicated such displays would continue through the November election.

"Let's give Lampson a parting shot that wrecks his press conference," read a mass e-mail to supporters by DeLay campaign manager Chris Homan.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/3776988.html

Hey, it worked for Mussolini.

That's how far the rot has gone. Republicans actually think this is the way politics is supposed to work.

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Huh. And here I'd thought that Rove was the mean, dirty trickster of the lot.

Is the memo real? Mebbe this is a Democratic dirty trick to make those moral, fairminded Republicans look bad - a reverse double-dirty trick?

[editted to add: Nevermind. DeLay's campaign manager admitted doing it and said he'll keep on doing it. The Dems are going to have to start screening their attendees like the Repubs have been doing.]

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Well, I am not surprised. I hope the people of his district take note.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, although I don't approve of the tactics, in and of themselves, it will take away the democrat argument of, "They shouldn't screen people!"

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Only if they start doing it themselves - which, so far, they have not.

Why would that be a good thing?

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

No one should be banned from a meeting held by a public official. After all, they work for us. When the become disruptive, then give 'em the boot. Bush's handlers ban people based upon who knows what, people who have just wanted to hear their president speak.

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

At least Ernst Röhm had his guys wear brown shirts so you knew who they were.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Delay is done as a congressman, but I am sure he will try and influence the race from a "distance" if at all possible. Still a good thing that he out! A freshman from his district will not have near the "influence" that Delay had.

9. lomax

lomax New Member

America has some major problems and all delay
    and certain republicans can do is sling mud.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

And Dems have done the same thing, if it is true. They have had people infiltrate Bill Frist and John Duncan's campaign events here in Tennessee, and their protests took very profane and vile forms.

Both parties have their classless elements :(

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom makes an excellent point. Drowning out the opposition has long been a favorite tactic of the left in America... humorous to now see our lefties here whining about it.

Should it be done by anyone? No. Free speech isn't all that useful if we don't respect each other's rights enough to allow its exercise.

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, considering the reactions to DeLay's supposed indescretions... What are your opinions on Hillary's $700K underreporting of campaign contributions and subsequent cover-up/evasion?

She is currently attempting to avoid being put under oath to testify about this in a civil trial... And for those of you who contend that the press is just as hard on liberals like Hillary as they are on conservatives like say.... DeLay.... Where is the none stop front page coverage of the unproven allegations against Hillary?

The allegations against DeLay of themselves created a scandal that drove him from office. Why is the same treatment not appropriate for Hillary?

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, In the Hillary case, you have direct testimony that affirms that something illegal happened and that Hillary knew about it. That seems to be a good bit more concrete than the accusations against DeLay that have been made public so far.

14. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Poor Scott, is that still the best rebuttal you can make? Whine, "But evil Hillary did it, too!" Not just one post, but two in a row right off topic.

If you want to rant about evil Hillary, why not start your own thread and provide some actual evidence instead of derailing this one? Or, at the very least, show how evil Hillary played dirty campaign tricks - something, anything that relates to the actual OP. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, Republicans have been not only indicted, but convicted in the New Hampshire phone-jamming dirty trick.

15. lomax

lomax New Member

"She condemned a proposed anti-immigration law as contrary to the teachings of Jesus. Some experts believe this criticism helps her."

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2006/04/10/2003301965

The most troubling thing about hillary clinton's use of Jesus-especially since the tyson chicken company and others give them lots of money-
    shows how low our politicians have become by
    using the church for money and power.

I've read many bad articles about hillary clinton. Remember the whitewater scandal? How much did they and their fellow attorneys make from it at the taxpayers' expense?

16. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I don't see the use in this. The Republican candidate, whichever it will be, is going to win. The district is 65-70% Republican/Conservative-Independent.

DeLay, even with all of his troubles the past few years, was re-elected this past time with something like 60% of the vote. His numbers this time around were less, but he probably still would have won. I think, however, that he pulled out more for the sake of Republicans across the country who might otherwise be associated with him by their opponents.

It also means that he's now free to get "down and dirty" with Prosecutor Earle and not worry about the repurcussions down the road during a vote.

As far as the speech-crashing goes, it's really no different than any other of the speech-crashes that have been done by supporters of folks on both sides of the aisle. Though, I do think it's rather childish for anyone to participate in such noisy railings. They'll probably be shouting dumb slogans, that rhyme, no less, and won't be any better distinguished from their left-wing, pinko-commie counter-parts.

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elmo's First Law of BB Politics:

If a poster accuses a Republican of unethical behavior, someone will immediately point out that either 1) Democrats do the same thing or 2) Democrats are worse.

Elmo's Corollary:

The probability of the name "Clinton" being attached to an argument made in accordance with Elmo's First Law will approaches 100% if a defense of G.W. Bush is made in the same post.

18. Bro. James Reed

How very true, rsr.

Personally, I think most politicians are more about power than they are about beliefs.

btw, did you know that Clinton...?

[​IMG]

19. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

His own polls told him it was a toss-up at best. And when the trial starts...

It's so unfair. Just because they elected him their leader and did what he wanted, now people are associating them with DeLay.

How low can they go?

20. Bro. James Reed

His own polls told him it was a toss-up at best. And when the trial starts...

It's so unfair. Just because they elected him their leader and did what he wanted, now people are associating them with DeLay.

How low can they go?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Did you disagree with what I said, or do you just enjoy quoting me?

I stated that DeLay's numbers were lower than 60%, but I also know, living in the district bordering his, that his district is Republican and many people at this point were "undecided". You know as well as I do that those folks will usually tilt back the way of their party when voting time comes around. It is my opinion that DeLay would have won. It may not have been easy, and it would have been closer than normal for him, but he would have won.

Now, I never said it was unfair for people to associate other Repubs with him. I just said they would be doing it, and with him out of the race, and much further out of the spotlight, many people will tend to forget about their candidates' associations with DeLay.

Republicans nation-wide will have a better opportunity to be elected since DeLay is not running. You have to agree with me there.