1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Democrat: Obama Team 'Encouraged' Defiance of Pelosi on Stimulus

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rep. Jim Cooper, a conservative Democrat from Tennessee, told a liberal radio network on Monday that the Obama White House encouraged him to defy House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on the $819 billion economic stimulus bill.

"Well, I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I actually got some quiet encouragement from the Obama folks for what I'm doing," said Cooper, one of only 11 Democrats to vote against the economic stimulus plan that passed the House last week.

"They know it's a messy bill and they wanted a clean bill," he said. "Now, I got in terrible trouble with our leadership because they don't care what's in the bill, they just want it to pass and they want it to be unanimous.".........

............"They don't mind the partisan fighting cause that's what they are used to. In fact, they're really good at it -- and they're a little bit worried about what a post-partisan future might look like," Cooper said during the radio interview. "If members actually had to read the bills and figure out whether they are any good or not. We're just told how to vote. We're treated like mushrooms most of the time.".................

More Here

2. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Interesting point!

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Although you can hear it from his own mouth I hear he is now back peddling.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So the Obama camp supposedly told this guy, a fellow Democrat not to support Pelosi. I can agree if he was trying to get some of the fat she and Barney loaded in the bill. If that is the case, this is a good thing and a President who is looking out for the nation and not his party line.

If this is true, I'd vote him out. No need having a mushroom on the hill...

#4 LeBuick, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  5. targus

targus New Member

Hey, here's a novel approach !!

Why doesn't Obama act like a leader and stand up before the American people and say that the bill as written is not a stimulus bill but a pork laden spending bill and publicly tell Congress that they need to remove the fat and write the best stimulus bill that delivers the biggest bang for the buck and stop fleecing the American taxpayers?

Oh, I forgot. It's because he is beholden to the far out left, welfare state dependents and large campaign contributing special interests that delivered him to the position of leadership that he now finds himself in without the backbone to actually lead.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I didn't know that was the presidents job. I thought we had 3 equal branches of government so how can he tell the house what to put in or take out. He can only say what he will sign and hat he will veto.

The president is not the "leader" of Congress. I heard Lindsey Graham say that today and thought "what a stupid comment".

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The President can give his opinion on legislative matters. He just cannot vote on them.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I have seen Obama at the capital meeting with both houses, he's had two cocktail parties and invited some lawmakers to his office for one on one meetings. We hear him just about every morning and today had an article in the paper. He's been on all the news channels then gave a speech tonight. How much of his opinion has anyone missed? Where were they, under a rock?