1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Democrats Assault on Free Speech

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Sep 7, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clinton is trying desperately to salvage what is left of his already tarnished legacy by attacking the first amendment rights of ABC.

Here come the lawyers.

http://electioncentral.tpmcafe.com/..._letter_clintons_lawyer_demands_abc_yank_film

Election Central
    In New Letter, Clinton's Lawyers Demands ABC Yank Film
    By Greg Sargent | bio

On Friday evening, Bill Clinton's lawyers sent a new letter to ABC chief Bob Iger demanding that ABC yank "The Path to 9/11." We've obtained a copy of the letter, and it reads in part: "As a nation, we need to be focused on preventing another attack, not fictionalizing the last one for television ratings. `The Path to 9/11' not only tarnishes the work of the 9/11 Commission, but also cheapens the fith anniversary of what was a very painful moment in history for all Americans. We expect that you will make the responsible decision to not air this film."

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I guess you think you can say whatever you like here without any proof but I don'y buy it.

3. StraightAndNarrow

Actually, this film is full of Neocon lies but I suupose you really aren't looking for the truth.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's a demand?

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if it is a total lie, they have a right to publish it.

Michael Moore published all kinds of lies, half truths and distortions. I'll bet you didn't complain then. From you previous statements I believe you are being hypocritical.

Liberals only protect the first amendment right of free speech when it matches their agenda.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "sent a new letter to ABC chief Bob Iger demanding "

Since the word "demand" was used I feel it is appropriate to understand that it was a demand.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yea,...I already adressed this several posts ago. I provided the evidence then. Buy what you want. I'll be so upset about it I will only eat two omlets in the morning.

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Huh. The letter itself doesn't "demand" anything, but the person writing the article nevertheless labels it as such - you feel it is more appropriate to go with the mischaracterization than the truth of the letter itself? That's an interesting, but ultimately unsurprising, choice.

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Seems to me there are scant few politicians and even less corporate talking heads willing to tell the whole truth about anything these days.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So it is your position that Clinton isnt demanding that it be pulled if the changes arent made?

11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

My position is that the letter makes no demands. How did you manage to misread, "The letter itself doesn't "demand" anything,..." ?

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This seems to be pretty demanding.

But it's not hard to imagine Daisy coming to the aid of liberals, to try to make their attacks on free speech seem noble.

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Sounds like a reasonnable request to me.

A dramatization shouldn't be a lie.

Leave it to Larry to change the subject to make a snide personal remark.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51898

Clinton aide says
    9/11 film 'correct'

Producer consulted with military attaché
    who saw aborted attacks on bin Laden

Posted: September 8, 2006
    3:33 p.m. Eastern

By Art Moore
    © 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

EXCERPT

A former military aide to President Clinton who claims he witnessed several missed opportunities to capture or kill Osama bin Laden says the producer of the ABC mini-series "The Path to 9/11" came to him in frustration after network executives under a heavy barrage of criticism from former administration officials began pressing for changes to the script.

In an interview with WND, retired Air Force Lt. Col. Robert "Buzz" Patterson said producer and writer Cyrus Nowrasteh called him the morning of Sept. 1, explaining he had used Patterson's book "Dereliction of Duty" as a source for the drama.

Later that day, Nowrasteh brought a preview copy of "The Path to 9/11" to Patterson for him to view at home. Patterson, who says he has talked with the director seven or eight times since then, also received a phone call from an ABC senior vice president, Quinn Taylor.

Patterson told WND he recognizes the television production conflates several events, but, in terms of conveying how the Clinton administration handled its opportunities to get bin Laden, it's "100 percent factually correct," he said.

"I was there with Clinton and (National Security Adviser Sandy) Berger and watched the missed opportunities occur," Patterson declared.

The five-hour drama is scheduled to air in two parts, Sunday night and Monday night, Sept. 11.

As a military aide to President Clinton from 1996 to 1998, Patterson was one of five men entrusted with carrying the "nuclear football," which contains the codes for launching nuclear weapons.

Reached by phone at his home in Southern California, Nowrasteh affirmed to WND he consulted with Patterson and gave him a preview of the drama.

During the interview this morning, Nowrasteh took a moment to watch as President Clinton's image turned up on his nearby TV screen to criticize the movie. The director did not want to respond directly to Clinton's comments, but offered a general response to critics.

"Everybody's got to calm down and watch the movie," Nowrasteh told WND. "This is not an indictment of one president or another. The villains are the terrorists. This is a clarion bell for people to wake up and take notice."

Patterson pointed out the Bush administration also is depicted in an unfavorable light in the months before 9/11.

15. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

It's funny to see the hypocrisy of those who were outraged by a movie about Reagan, perfectly happy to see "poetic license" with the truth in the case of Clinton.

Sort of like PM stalking, um, carpro?

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Of course it does "to you." But you are not exactly objective about it. For Dems (or Repubs) to call for a movie to edited because they don't like the content is purely and simply a call for an infringement on free speech. How can you not see that?

it wasn't snide and it was true. So according to your standard, doesn't that make it okay? I thought it was just lies and slander that weren't "free speech." Perhaps you can enlighten us (and please try to be consistent ... we have already seen you dodge consistency when it fit your personal ends).

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

From reading this thread, it seems that when some of you were in college and took apologetics, it was administered by the RNC and DNC. How can anyone with half a brain defend either party are being pure, honest, and have the interests of the American people at heart?

Both parties are rotten to the core, and should be dismantled and start over. This is like debating whether Ahab or Judas was worse.

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I and others have argued this. Although, I do think one party is "rottener" than the other.

However, the problem is, in order to change things, it will take a groundswell of grassroots efforts to require a majority to win an election.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It gets closer each day!:thumbs:

20. StraightAndNarrow

Got anything to back that up?