1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Democrats for Life

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Apr 1, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 KenH, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why are they still Democrats?
    Possible answer: My parents were democrats and I will die a democrat.

Folks need to realize that things change over the years.

For example, the Dems (originally the Democratic-Republican Party) were against a strong Federal govt. Now that is there stand.
    The Federalist / Whigs / Republicans were originally for a strong federal government. Now (supposedly) they are for a smaller federal govt.

Too often we are creatures of habit.

Salty
    PS, I am not a registered as Rep, Dem or Independent

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably because they are not single issue voters just as I am not a single issue voter. I am pro-life; however, that one issue does not drive my vote to the exclusion of all other issues.

Also, if history should have taught us anything it is that people who care passionately about a single issue do themselves a disservice when they put all of their eggs in one political party basket as they end up being taken for granted over time by that political party.

#3 KenH, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now this is the truth!!!

Who do you think the "I'm owed----" groups vote for, AND really are taken for granted????

Other instances I'm sure, but this is the biggest single bloc (IMNSHO).

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Because they believe in other positions the Democratic party has taken like like killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people in an unjust war.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that we should be more than one - issue voters. But since you mentioned an "unjust war" - how about he "unjust war" against the yet- to-be-born. Over some 25 million babies have been aborted

So, what would you say are the top ten issues that you agree with the Democratic Party?

Salty

PS Do you subscribe to L.I.S.A?

#6 Salty, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2008
  7. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Ken. You are a single issuer voter. Can you say Iraq War?

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is really an honest question, but I would like to know that if that 43% would still vote for a man who agreed with them in every other issue (Iraq, health care, economY etc) would they still vote for them if they were for killing say children under 2 years old?

If they believe that abortion is actually killing a human being, then would they vote for someone who killed other human beings?

A completely off topic comment is that I understand that they can justify voting for someone who agrees to killing a human being, they keep voting in Massachusetts for Ted Kennedy... :BangHead:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's more of the hybrid milquetoast position of "Abortion is wrong, but I don't want to make that decision for other people." Hogwash. I think murder is wrong, and I want to make that decision for others.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea exactly. But they don't mind making other decisions for other people because they are wrong. That logic is contrary to sanity.

12. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

On abortion...

I dont agree with either party on the issue of abortion, therefore it doesnt drive my vote. However, I do vote democrat and Im a proud democrat. When will the republican party start caring about the people who have HIV, instead of cutting the funding for testing, outreach, etc.(my wife works at a health clinic and she could lose her job is McCain get his way)? When will republican's like Bush quit trying to away with Unions? Im in the IBEW, and the benefits are way better than the people who are not Union. To me, the caring of my family is first in politics, not the morality of everyone else. I mean, I have choice if I want an abortion or not, people have a choice to gay, but I have no control over the government taking my job from me. These are just my opinions, so I would appreciate no name calling from hardcore republicans.

#12 auburnhale, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008
  13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

War Eagle!!!!!

14. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can intellectually respect two general positions:

1) Abortion is murder/killing/manslaughter and should be illegal.

2) Abortion is not murder/killing/manslaughter and should be legal.

The idea that one can disapprove but allow manslaughter is ridiculous. I wonder how tenable the position would be if you substituted racial discrimination for abortion.

I somehow doubt that anyone would get behind the notion that "I'm personally against racial discrimination, but if the owner of the local Burger King doesn't want to serve Asians and African-Americans, that's his choice!"

I also don't buy the argument of "My body, my choice." This argument is pure insanity. If you went into the doctor asking him to cut your arm flesh into little pieces just because it's "your body, your choice," he'd rightfully refuse. Your asking would be grounds for a psych consult.

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not all Republicans are completely against unions. I'm a Republican (albeit a moderate one, fiscally speaking), and I think unions can be a good thing.

I also recognize that they can destroy the very jobs they are trying to protect.

There is nothing wrong with fighting for good working conditions and decent pay with benefits. The problem is that unions have artificially inflated the wages and benefits of factory jobs to the point at which the businesses run the risk of insolvency. That's what is killing the American car industry.

16. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

Then...

thanks for the info. Ill look into what you said, as I do with everything.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent points, Stefan. :thumbs:

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

How about those of us who don't call it murder but still think it should be illegal?

I would still consider this one issue so would consider it along with other views when I decide. However, anyone this narrow minded on race would probably not stop there and would have other objectional views.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

:thumbs:

I agree, I noticed auburnhale said benefits are way better than the people who are not Union. I wonder if the benefits are in line with the rest of America. Someone had to foot the bill for great benefits which is generally the consumer. I am not against unions but I am against any organization that would protect a guy who slacks all day.

20. auburnhale

auburnhale New Member

Well, no one is footing the bill. The coporate companys are giving more benefits and giving up extra of their income. However, the training of our union workers make our work high quality compared to the non-union workers. Their training, for the most part, is non-existent. The companys that are not union, in our trade, typically make more at the expense of the worker because they don't have to pay those benefits. See what Im saying? We just want the coporate level to take care of us because we take care of them. It's not like you can do without the people who work on your powerlines!