1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Democrats Get what They Deserve

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Jun 30, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think your seeing this through a narrow funnel, for many years the democratic south refused minorities equal rights. You couldn't find a sane minority who would vote democrat. However, the Republicans (Lincoln's party) turned their backs on them so they joined the enemies camp. Kind of like the Hispanic's did this last election.

So it isn't fair to say never, ever, it seems minorities are not loyal to parties and really vote for who represents their interest.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You are ignorant of history. The civil rights bills would have never passed without the Republicans in Congress. It is a sad fact that minorities vote for whoever promises them the most from the government till. I said promise, not necessarily deliver. FDR was the first to make use of this.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

So, when DC elects a crackhead as a mayor who violates every law in the book (Marion Barry)...and a republican doesn't even run in the election to replace him...you're telling me they're not loyal to democrats?

Alabama, in the black belt, has had three legislators removed...all for financial reasons. (theft, embezzlement, etc...guilty as all-get-out).

The first election was just held. A republican didn't even run.

You're gonna tell me they're not loyal to a party?

That's crazy talk. The democrats can completely ignore the black vote. They'll get 90% of it, whether they do anything to earn it or not. There hasn't been a "jump" from one party to another in my lifetime. Not even close.

I guess if you repeat stuff often enough... :rolleyes:

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

No, my history is correct. You are reading my post wrong.

I said the democratic south wouldn't give blacks equal rights.

Also, your last statement is kind of biased. There are not enough minorities to put any candidate into office so there must be a lot more than minorities on that bandwagon. What you look at the bandwagon, do you see only minorities? Any reason for that OR?

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Could it be they liked Barry? Could it be he could have ran as whig and still won the election? Stop looking through polarized funnels. A large portion of the voters in DC obviously didn't find smoking crack to be a disqualifier. That is the beauty of a democracy, no one can tell you who to vote for.

You saying they are loyal to a party because a republican wouldn't run? What about the primaries, how did these people win the primaries? It is not the party, they appear to like the person.

Have in my lifetime, as OR pointed out, the Republican's had the black vote for years. Blacks voted majority Republican (those allowed to vote) since Lincoln freed the slaves until the 70's.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Um, we are not a democracy.

Secondly, could it be, that DC has monumentally stupid voters...that would vote for a crooked, drug-addicted felon before putting an honorable man in office?

Hey, the "polarized funnels" I'm looking through is the truth. DC voters insist on putting democrats in office. Are you going to tell me that a district that gives less than 10% to Republicans is anything but blindly partisan?

That's exactly what I'm saying, and it seems obvious to everyone but LeBuick that it is the truth...
    The point is...R's no longer run in Black districts. There's no point.

Thanks for contradicing your earlier statements for me and making my point. The black vote is, like it or not, a 90% "bloc vote" for the Democratic party. And like it or not, the D's take it for granted. And much of their legislation (not all, but significant parts) are substantially detrimental to the black community.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

According to Webster, Democracy = The political orientation of those who favor government by the people or by their elected representatives.

You sure we are not a democracy??? We appear to fit the definition.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Evidently, someone has never heard that we live in a Republic. A purely democratic system is doomed to failure. We need the rule of law to protect ourselves from ourselves. Evidently though it isn't working when someone like Berry, a felon, is allowed to serve. This only perpetuates the idea that some are espousing that some folks are just too obviously stupid to be allowed to vote.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Explain the difference between a republic and a democracy?

I think someone is trying to split a hair that is so thin it can't be split.

10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You are mistaken again LB.:tear:

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Al Franken has done one thing for which he deserves credit. He is the only politician that I have agreed with OR's position. Actually, that is not exactly true. We disagree over the last administration and the Republican Party.

OR is right on when it comes to the Democrats and Franken.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I was watching CSPAN with Senator Reid introducing Senator Franken. Does he remind anyone of former Senator Paul Simon?

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You guys forget something, MN is the state who voted a wrestler in as Gov. It's their vote, let them have the representative they want. They don't tell your district who to pick.

And saying Democrats got what they deserve is to say the GOP got with they serve with Sanford, Ensign and the stall flirter.

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

When SC voted in Sanford there was no idea that he was a philanderer. Not did the voters know that Ensign liked to grope under toilet stalls. These voters were obviously tricked. And, had they known I seriously doubt that either would have been put in office. But, it was and is quite clear the type of character that Franken has. And, yes the people on MN had the right to put him in and did. What makes me sad is the fact that the voters of a state, people I share a country with, are so morally inept that they would even consider voting for someone like Al.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

We are a Constitutional Republic. That is not a democracy. Check your civics notes.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Democracy:
    A government of the masses.
    Authority derived through mass meeting or any other form of "direct" expression.
    Results in mobocracy.
    Attitude toward property is comunistic-negating property rights.
    Attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate. whether it be based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences.
    Results in demagogism license, agitation, discontent, anarchy.
    Democracy is the "direct" rule of the people and has been repeatedly tried without success.
    A certain Professor Alexander Fraser Tytler, nearly two centuries ago, had this to say about Democracy: " A Democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of Government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largess out of public treasury. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that Democracy always collapses over a loose fiscal policy, always to be followed by a Dictatorship."
    A democracy is majority rule and is destructive of liberty because there is no law to prevent the majority from trampling on individual rights. Whatever the majority says goes! A lynch mob is an example of pure democracy in action. There is only one dissenting vote, and that is cast by the person at the end of the rope.

Republic:
    Authority is derived through the election by the people of public officials best fitted to represent them.
    Attitude toward property is respect for laws and individual rights, and a sensible economic procedure.
    Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles and established evidence, with a strict regard to consequences.
    A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass.
    Avoids the dangerous extreme of either tyranny or mobocracy. Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice, contentment, and progress.
    Is the "standard form" of government throughout the world.
    A republic is a form of government under a constitution which provides for the election of:

1. an executive and
    2. a legislative body, who working together in a representative capacity, have all the power of appointment, all power of legislation all power to raise revenue and appropriate expenditures, and are required to create
    3. a judiciary to pass upon the justice and legality of their governmental acts and to recognize
    4. certain inherent individual rights.
    Take away any one or more of those four elements and you are drifting into autocracy. Add one or more to those four elements and you are drifting into democracy.
    Our Constitutional fathers, familiar with the strength and weakness of both autocracy and democracy, with fixed principles definitely in mind, defined a representative republican form of government. They "made a very marked distinction between a republic and a democracy and said repeatedly and emphatically that they had founded a republic."
    A republic is a government of law under a Constitution. The Constitution holds the government in check and prevents the majority (acting through their government) from violating the rights of the individual. Under this system of government a lynch mob is illegal. The suspected criminal cannot be denied his right to a fair trial even if a majority of the citizenry demands otherwise.

SOURCE

That good enough for ya?

17. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Thanks RBell for giving LeBuick the civics lesson. But, I think he knows good and well what a republic is. It just doesn't happen to fit into his belief of the way things should be. Otherwise he would not be such an adamant defender of the democrats and President Obama.

18. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Uh...wasn't it Larry Craig in the stall. Ensign was simply a philanderer.

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Thank you. I stand corrected.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yet another failed comparison by a libbie