1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Democrats Impatient With Obama to Weigh In on Economy

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Democrats are growing impatient with President-elect Barack Obama's refusal to inject himself in the major economic crises confronting the country.

Obama has sidestepped some policy questions by saying there is only one president at a time. But the dodge is wearing thin.

"He's going to have to be more assertive than he's been," House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank, D-Mass., told consumer advocates Thursday.

Frank, who has been dealing with both the bailout of the financial industry and a proposed rescue of Detroit automakers, said Obama needs to play a more significant role on economic issues.

"At a time of great crisis with mortgage foreclosures and autos, he says we only have one president at a time," Frank said. "I'm afraid that overstates the number of presidents we have. He's got to remedy that situation."

More Here

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not that Barney Frank is the best Dem on the hill but he's confirming RD story that they want Obama making policy before he puts his name plate on the desk. What a goof that guy is. It's not like the economy can be turned around over night no matter who is at the wheel.

3. targus

targus New Member

If a candidate is willing to tell us what he will do if elected President, why the reluctance to tell us what he will do now that he is the President-elect.

Surely he must have some idea of what policies he will support/promote once he takes office, so why not let everyone know now so that we can breath a collective sigh of relief that help is on the way?

Or could it be that he has no idea of what to do as President where it comes to the economy?

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I don't see how he could do worse than our current president is doing.

5. targus

targus New Member

Can't say either way... because he is not giving any indication of what he plans to do.

All I hear is things like "doing it smarter" or "doing it better".

Examples of "smarter" and "better" would be helpful.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Obama is being wise not to bardge in. He is not the president yet and thus he does not have the power to set, change or keep policies. As he said in the US there is only one president at a time.

7. targus

targus New Member

Well, I guess that all we can do then is hope that after Obama takes office that he doesn't just say, "I would have done it differently" and then wash his hands of it and say "it's not my fault".

But then again he does have a history of voting "present".

The silence may just be a variation of that strategy.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

:eek: Blasphemy!!

You're talking about the "messiah"!!!

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bailout is unpopular with the tax payers. Barney Frank is doing what the rest of the demoncrats are doing. He is looking for cover. He knows the dems have full control now and will be held accountable. He wants Obama to weigh in so he can say he was following the lead of his president.

peace to you:praying:

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If people, including the members of Congress, would pay attention to what President-elect Obama says then threads like this one would not exist.

"Further, beyond any immediate actions we may take, we need a recovery plan for both Wall Street and Main Street -- a plan that stabilizes our financial system and gets credit flowing again, while at the same time addressing our growing foreclosure crisis, helping our struggling auto industry, and creating and saving 2.5 million jobs -- jobs rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges, modernizing our schools, and creating the clean energy infrastructure of the twenty-first century. Because at this moment, we must both restore confidence in our markets -- and restore the confidence of middle-class families, who find themselves working harder, earning less, and falling further and further behind.

I have asked my economic team to develop recommendations for this plan, and to consult with Congress, the current Administration and the Federal Reserve on immediate economic developments over the next two months. I have requested that they brief me on these matters on a daily basis, and in the coming weeks, I will provide the American people and the incoming Congress with an overview of their initial recommendations. It is my hope that the new Congress will begin work on an aggressive economic recovery plan when they convene in early January so that our Administration can hit the ground running."

- http://change.gov/newsroom/entry/geithner_summers_among_key_economic_team_members_announced_today/

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

IOW

No plans yet.

Except spend, spend, spend.

Just the first round...

#11 carpro, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
  12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct. It's only been a week and a half since he announced his economic team.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not sure what you mean, Obama is the only one talking about the economy. He is still working on the economic stimulus package he will send to the floor. In case you don't recall, he met with the nations Governors earlier this week to get their input. He still has over a month before he takes office so he has time to put together a plan.

Now on this subject, we have a President who IS in office and IS still our leader. What is he doing?

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That guys is one big goof...

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Which bailout you referring to, the auto makers?

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand this so called impatience. To be fair, regardless of polices, Obama is doing what he should right now.

17. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I hope you realize that in your article Senator Frank is stating:

"At a time of great crisis with mortgage foreclosures and autos, he says we only have one president at a time," Frank said. "I'm afraid that overstates the number of presidents we have. He's got to remedy that situation."

In other words, President Bush is doing nothing (as usual).

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Coming from Frank makes it less likely to have any validity or truth.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I guess this theory is blown, the Dems have come up with a figure for the auto makers...

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSWEN145820081206

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Frank is wrong and Crabtown is right here. Obama is not president yet (though he has assumed the powerful, Constitutional Office of President Elect) :laugh:

Obama needs to be forming his team and getting some rest before he launches into the ultimate marathon.

There is no question the bailouts are unpopular with the American public. The fact that the Dems are willing to shell out more $$ and that the GOP is apparently going along with them is telling. I at least mildly respect what TN Sen Bob Corker tried to do recently and that's listen to the business plans and query the Big three as to how they plan to turn things around. No sense loaning $$ if you don't have a plan to get it back.

Kinda what started this whole mess.