1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Democrats switch, shoot down Senate vote on abortion transport bill;

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    )--The Senate failed Sept. 29 to approve a bill to outlaw interstate abortions on minors without parental notice when eight Democrats switched positions to support their party leadership’s obstruction of the measure.

The Senate voted 57-42 to overcome a Democratic procedural maneuver blocking passage of the bill, but the majority fell three votes short of the 60 needed under the rules. The Senate had passed a similar measure with a 65-34 vote in July, but eight of 14 Democrats who voted for that bill refused this time to support moving the new version to the floor.

Pro-life advocates were displeased but not surprised.

“Unfortunately, this is politics as usual,” said Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission. “Senators vote for parental notification; then they turn around and vote against ending debate to have a final vote. That way, they can say to pro-lifers they voted for it and they can say to pro-choicers they voted against ending the filibuster. And politicians wonder why they get a reputation for being two-faced.”

The Democratic minority “preserved the ability of profiteering abortionists to keep parents in the dark,” said Douglas Johnson, the National Right to life Committee’s legislative director. “It is remarkable that only six out of 45 Democrats voted to require a parent to be notified before an abortion is performed on a young daughter in some other state.”

The eight Democrats who switched sides by voting against bringing the bill to the floor were Sens. Evan Bayh, Indiana; Tom Carper, Delaware; Kent Conrad and Byron Dorgan, both of North Dakota; Daniel Inouye, Hawaii; Herb Kohl, Wisconsin; Bill Nelson, Florida; and Ken Salazar, Colorado.

The House of Representatives had passed the latest version in a 264-153 vote Sept. 26. The House had included in the substitute measure all of the language approved previously by the Senate in an effort to gain passage.

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=24087

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Democrats continue to support the murder of the unborn. There are many here who support those same democrats.

Even in the face of a bill like this one that makes such good sense, democrats have to continue their kill 'em all strategy.

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Hum... The way I see it, it was Democrats and Republicans that caused this bill to fail.

They needed 60 yea votes, and got only 57.

They were 3 short of it passing...

3 Republicans voted Nay, so your Replubican friends who voted nay let you down.

If you want to post an article that blames someone, at least blame EVERYONE that voted nay, and not just the Democrats.

Oh wait... You'll tell me you're just posting it the way you read it in the article....

Jamie

4. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Actually, 4 Republicans and 38 Democrats let us down.

Grouped By Vote Position
    YEAs ---57Alexander (R-TN)
    Allard (R-CO)
    Allen (R-VA)
    Bennett (R-UT)
    Bond (R-MO)
    Brownback (R-KS)
    Bunning (R-KY)
    Burns (R-MT)
    Burr (R-NC)
    Byrd (D-WV)
    Chambliss (R-GA)
    Coburn (R-OK)
    Cochran (R-MS)
    Coleman (R-MN)
    Cornyn (R-TX)
    Craig (R-ID)
    Crapo (R-ID)
    DeMint (R-SC)
    DeWine (R-OH)
    Dole (R-NC)
    Domenici (R-NM)
    Ensign (R-NV)
    Enzi (R-WY)
    Frist (R-TN)
    Graham (R-SC)
    Grassley (R-IA)
    Gregg (R-NH)
    Hagel (R-NE)
    Hatch (R-UT)
    Hutchison (R-TX)
    Inhofe (R-OK)
    Isakson (R-GA)
    Johnson (D-SD)
    Kyl (R-AZ)
    Landrieu (D-LA)
    Lott (R-MS)
    Lugar (R-IN)
    Martinez (R-FL)
    McCain (R-AZ)
    McConnell (R-KY)
    Murkowski (R-AK)
    Nelson (D-NE)
    Pryor (D-AR)
    Reid (D-NV)
    Roberts (R-KS)
    Santorum (R-PA)
    Sessions (R-AL)
    Shelby (R-AL)
    Smith (R-OR)
    Stevens (R-AK)
    Sununu (R-NH)
    Talent (R-MO)
    Thomas (R-WY)
    Thune (R-SD)
    Vitter (R-LA)
    Voinovich (R-OH)
    Warner (R-VA)
    NAYs ---42Akaka (D-HI)
    Baucus (D-MT)
    Bayh (D-IN)
    Biden (D-DE)
    Bingaman (D-NM)
    Boxer (D-CA)
    Cantwell (D-WA)
    Carper (D-DE)
    Chafee (R-RI)
    Clinton (D-NY)
    Collins (R-ME)
    Conrad (D-ND)
    Dayton (D-MN)
    Dodd (D-CT)
    Dorgan (D-ND)
    Durbin (D-IL)
    Feingold (D-WI)
    Feinstein (D-CA)
    Harkin (D-IA)
    Inouye (D-HI)
    Jeffords (I-VT)
    Kerry (D-MA)
    Kohl (D-WI)
    Lautenberg (D-NJ)
    Leahy (D-VT)
    Levin (D-MI)
    Lieberman (D-CT)
    Lincoln (D-AR)
    Menendez (D-NJ)
    Mikulski (D-MD)
    Murray (D-WA)
    Nelson (D-FL)
    Obama (D-IL)
    Reed (D-RI)
    Rockefeller (D-WV)
    Salazar (D-CO)
    Sarbanes (D-MD)
    Schumer (D-NY)
    Snowe (R-ME)
    Specter (R-PA)
    Stabenow (D-MI)
    Wyden (D-OR)
    Not Voting - 1Kennedy (D-MA)

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

What all was in this bill? Was it attached to something else or was something else attached to it?

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yes you are correct, just as I stated before: "The way I see it, it was Democrats and Republicans that caused this bill to fail."

I did miss one of the Republicans though.. I only counted three.

Jamie

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Minimization is a neat trick when one can fool themselves enough to pull it off.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a culture of murder in our houses of representatives.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The four Republicans who opposed the bill were Lincoln Chafee (RI), Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe (both Maine), and Arlen Specter (Pa.).

The six Democrats who voted in favor of the bill on both occasions were Mark Pryor (Ar.), Ben Nelson (Ne.), Mary Landrieu (La.), Harry Reid (Nv.), Tim Johnson (SD), and Robert Byrd (WV).

#9 Brother Bob, Oct 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2006
  10. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Your right Carpro. Anyone who thinks the Democratic party is against Abortion in any way, is fooling themselves. They do not know or ignore it's platform and Leadership! Nor do they know the voting records or they simply wish to ignore all such things.

The Democratic party stands firmly in protecting the right to kill innocent unborn children! After all it is a "womans right" as they best say, "We stand proudly for a woman's right to choose, consistent with Roe v. Wade, and regardless of her ability to pay"! They want to use your tax dollars to pay for such if needed! Though they also declare it is a private matter and nobody else's business!

They also prove why the above bill was shot down! As the Democratic Party says, "We stand firmly against Republican efforts to undermine" Speaking of Abortion and all the rights.
    Source: The Democratic Platform for America, Jul 10, 2004.

They hold it is a "constitutional liberty" for such. Democratic National Platform Aug 15, 2000

It seems those LIBERTIES are more important than the unborn child having his/her skull crushed. All the while screaming why?? Or your right as a parent, to know if your child may be faced with such a dire predicament. :praying:

Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, specifically, voted "NEA" on a Bill in 2004 restricting or outlawing Partial Birth Abortion.

THE TRUTH HURTS DOESN'T IT! But there it is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To put things into perspective with the above post and vote. So nothing can detract from it.

93% of the Republicans voted "YEA" on the Bill; Whereas 85% of the Democrats voted "NEA" on the Bill.

Thus 7% of remaining Republicans voted "nea". (Fire them!) While 13.8% of the remaining Democrats went against their party to vote "yea" on the Bill(Good For Them:applause: )

They will use any excuse, be it attachment or whatever, to kill or block such bills.

To note. I do not condemn or judge anyone who has had to go through that procedure. It is a tragedy for any woman to have to face, especially alone! I do however deplore a Party which stands against making any difference in the matter. Who fights every attempt to banish or truly limit abortions.

We have to stand for and cherish the unborn, as our Lord does!

In Christ :jesus:

#10 Ralph III, Oct 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2006
  11. Walguy

Walguy Member

The difference is that the Republicans who voted against didn't change their previous position to do it. Those four are basically Democrats in Republican clothing anyway, as is well known to all of us who know anything about the current Senate.
    On the other hand, the eight Democrats in question DID change their previous position. So they bear the first responsibility for this failure, since if they had simply been consistent, the result would have been different.
    Democrats choosing politics over principle. Imagine that...

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I'm sorry, but that is the biggest bit of SPIN yet! The vote failed because of 3 votes, and of those, there were Democrats AND Republicans that could have put them at 60 votes.

To say that the four Republicans voted the way they did because, well everyone knows they are really Democrats, and so the resulting failed vote falls to the Democrats, that is crazy talk.

Sorry, but it failed because there were not enough votes to pass. The Democrats and Republicans shoudler the blame.

Jamie

13. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

No Jamie it is you who is spinning and for everyone to see!

Again the vote went as follows.

The voting speaks for itself, period!

Spin it any way you wish! Keep telling yourself the blame should be held equally, if you must. But facts are facts and Truth is Truth.

The Democratic Party stood overwhelmingly united, in voting against the bill! With exception of a few.

The Republican Party stood much greater and even more overwhelmingly united, in voting for the bill! With exception of a few.

The Democratic Party "Proudly" stands by the right to abortion. Which is the killing of unborn children! Many even stand for, or rather against, legislation to end late-term abortions!

In addition the Democratic Party opposes parental notification. In other words they don't feel it is your business as a parent to be notified, if your child is faced with such a tragic dilemma. Your child should be able to have an abortion if they wish. With no input or knowledge to you and irrespective of who may be advising them!

The murder of unborn children is a crime against God! A party which openly declares it "PROUDLY" supports this right is despicable!

Jesus loves children, including the unborn. So should we.

In Christ, Ralph:jesus:

#13 Ralph III, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2006
  14. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Uhm... Ralph, Where in my above post did I say it was equal blame? You see, by you adding words to what I have said, you SPIN it yourself.

This whole thread started because the Democrats voted nay... Well my point all along in this thread is that is wasn't just Democrats that voted nay.. If your Republican friends had voted yea, then it would have passed.

The vote was only 3 short of passing, so however you want to SPIN it, the vote failed because there were not enough votes. There were not enough votes because Democrats AND Republicans voted against it.

I have never said that the blame should be shared equally, that was your words. I have said that it people on BOTH sides of the parties that caused that bill to fail.

Nice try... But try it without putting words into my mouth...

Jamie
    :jesus:
    Jesus loves everyone.. Even the Democrats and Republicans that voted against this bill....

15. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Hello Jamie. I appreciate your reply and let me clarify with the following.

Jamie, most all your post suggest that the Democrats and Republicans are to blame equally! Which could not be further from the truth. Where do you ever say or suggest the blame is not to be equally shared??

JamieNH:
    This simply is not an accurate representation of what occurred. Nor does it properly depict the big picture and major difference. Which is glaring and as I and others tried pointing out.

Again 93% of the Republicans voted for the Bill!
    In absolute stark contrast,
    85% of the Democrats voted against the Bill.

The Republican Party stands against abortion; and in favor of parental notification.
    The Democratic Party stands for abortion; and against parental notification.!

This as each publicly declares and as voting habits easily show!

Actually this is a completely accurate statement. The Democrats do bear responsibility for the failed vote. As they were united against it, overwhelmingly. The Republicans were united in favor of it, overwhelmingly.

Again you are suggesting the blame should be shared equally. But simply blaming a few Republicans or a few Democrats, for the bills failure is in no way proportional nor accurate. Rarely, if ever, are you going to get 100% unity within either party. Walguys account is proper both specifically but especially generally.

If the vote had gone 99% Republican for, which they were just a couple shy of; would you still say the Republicans and Democrats were to blame?

I simply corrected you and pointed out the facts. I added no words to your statements. Such speaks for itself.

Well you are correct in that it was some on both sides for sure. But your posts speak in Party general. Whereas, the Republicans and Democrats caused the bill to fail. But again, where have you ever suggested the blame was not equall??

This is all I took issue with. As many would like to diminish the actual vote count or raise questions; as to why the Dem's voted against the bill, IE: attachments etc. This is often simply an attempt to minimize, justify, or have an excuse for their vote! I am not saying you were attempting this as you also make good points. I just want to keep things in proper perspective.

Amen Jamie! You are absolutely correct, Jesus loves us regardless of who we are or what party we belong to. His forgiveness is sufficient for anyone and is there for each person to seek.

I simply cannot condone a Party which openly supports, defends, and proclaims "PROUDLY" the right to abortions. A party which believes the morality of such lies solely with each individual. Who also blocks attempts for parental notification.

Anyhow take care. :wavey:
    In Christ, Ralph

#15 Ralph III, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2006
  16. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Greetings Daisy:

I trust that you and Mr. Daisy are doing well, and are being showered with God's Blessings.

I couldn't help but notice that your question has gone unanswered..........

Regards,
    BiR (your LIBERAL Brother-in-Christ) :wavey:

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you found your answer yet? I've been kinda waiting for you to fill us in.

If not, Google is fairly useful for such research.

18. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Ah, so Daisy should answer her own question. BTW, did you ever answer my direct question to you? The silence is deafening......

So why not answer it for her? Or should she answer her own questions?