1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Democrats to Raise Gasoline Tax

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jul 21, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,386643,00.html

Lawmakers Could Consider Gas Tax Hike, After Gas Tax Holiday Fails
    Sunday, July 20, 2008

July 18: A gas price sign is shown in McKinney, Texas.

WASHINGTON — The political vision of a summer gas tax holiday died a quick death in Congress, losing to a view that federal excise taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel will have to go up if they go anywhere.

Despite calls from the presidential campaign trail for a Memorial Day-to-Labor Day tax freeze, lawmakers quickly concluded — with a prod from the construction industry — that having $9 billion less to spend on highways could create a pre-election specter of thousands of lost jobs.

Now, lawmakers quietly are talking about raising fuel taxes by a dime from the current 18.4 cents a gallon on gasoline and 24.3 cents on diesel fuel.

SNIP

Oberstar, D-Minn., said his committee is working on the next long-term highway bill. He estimated it will take between $450 billion and $500 billion over six years to address safety and congestion issues with highways, bridges and transit systems.

"We'll put all things on the table," Oberstar said, but the gas tax "is the cornerstone. Nothing else will work without the underpinning of the higher user fee gas tax."

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe democrats are out of touch with reality to even mention an additional tax on gasoline at this time. :BangHead:

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, they seem out of touch in many areas. If they want to really cut fuel consumption, and generate enormous revenue to fund their social programs, raise it a buck.....

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will support a tax on anything if congress both dems and repubs will put a stop on any and all spending and cut some current entitlements until the debt is all paid.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Democrats to Raise Gasoline Tax

Surprise, surprise! :(

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    News Flash!!!!!!!!!

Birds fly, squirrels eat nuts, fish have scales --------!!!!!!

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Now that is news, right along with , democrats raise taxes!!!!

I'm learning each day.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that we seem to agree that democrats like to raise taxes, do we also agree they are beyond stupid to talk about increasing the tax on gasoline at this particular time?

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I can hardly afford to buy gas now!

10. just-want-peace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The elites have absolutely no concept of the average Joe's daily grind; ergo they have absolutely no concept that they are telling a starving man that he needs to diet!!!

Yes, I do believe they are that out of touch!!!!!

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I hope the Hill soon realizes strenuous taxation is why we parted company with the king. I no longer feel represented if the elected officials don't have my interest in mind when they make decisions.

Perhaps someone should introduce a bill for no new taxes without a vote from the people. This will force them to make good use of the tax they collect at this time.

12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

We keep asking them to solve all the problems and their solutions always require more funding, result in more regulations, more artificial influences on the marketplace, more opportunities for political favors, more vote buying, and just more problems. Congress can't fix anything so let's stop asking them to do it. Let's tell them to start undoing the reams and reams of regulations already in place they have dragged us down and hold us there.

Even as we debate this topic EPA is rolling out more stupid rules - thousands of pages of confusing and conflicting gibberish - that profits only environmental lawyers and consultants. Even EPA is being directed by consent decrees resulting for court cases brought by environmental groups. They all lack any common sense to balance the needs of a modern society with good stewardship of the earth's resources. They keep us from making good use of what we have and, instead, divert our attention to ineffective energy solutions.

I suspect that the pollution resulting from the manufacturing, transportation, use, and disposal of all the "product" - paperwork, meetings, travel, training, litigation, studies, controls, additional equipment, non-productive overhead, etc. - exceeds any reduction in harmful pollution for the processes being regulated that would otherwise produce real and useful product.

Congress will be happy to give us more of the same if we want because, remember, they specialize in skimming from the proceeds of any real exchange of goods and services without which they'd be out of work. But at the rate we're going they make actually get us to the point we're only working for them and the voters they've bought with promises for a free ride.

#12 Dragoon68, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I sure like what this guy said in the article... :thumbs:

Congress should first reduce spending on pet projects, known as earmarks, argued Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C. "I'm not going to let the Senate spend all this money when nobody is looking, especially when we refuse to stop wasting billions of taxpayer dollars on earmarks."

Earmarks should be eliminated all together. They are nothing but slush funds...

14. billwald

billwald New Member

NOT ENOUGH! Should raise it a buck to pay for the oil war.

15. just-want-peace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Pears as how somebody left the door open, cause there's a heap of hot air coming in.:BangHead: