1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dems run from Fox debates. Why?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by redbelt, Mar 10, 2007.

1. redbelt

redbelt New Member

If Democratic candidates run from Fox News regarding debates because their feelings get hurt, how thick is their skin going to be when they face real pressure from our enemies?

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I remember not to long ago O'Reilly challenged people to step forward and debate the U.S.A Patrtriot Act when Michael Badnarik accepted his challenge Bill chickened out, maybe he was afraid his feelings would be hurt.

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2004/7/emw143702.htm

3. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

The Nevada Democrats backed out of these "debates" because their supporters didn't want them to show any support for the extremely biased Fox "News."

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If a so-called news organization repeatedly lied about you, I doubt you'd have much to do with them either.

Click Here

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

If you find out the real reason the democrats pulled out of the debate before you make such ignorant statements, it will keep you from looking like a fool in the future!

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The real reason is that the Nevada Democratic Party gave into pressure from extremist organizations like MoveOn.org.

It is certainly their right. But did you see Harry Reid jumping like a cat on a hot roof? He said it was good because it would enable them to reach a new demographic. Then changed his mind under pressure from these radical groups. Republicans appear all the time on networks and shows that are to the left what Fox is to the right.

IMO, it would have been a great opportunity to take on Fox News, but they gave it up. I bet it will come back to haunt them.

7. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it was only the Nevada Democrats and the spineless John Edwards, moveon is their master.

They're making a protest! They don't want a debate, they want a bully pulpit where they won't be challenged. Fine, they can debate on CNN, MSNBC, Spike, NPR, ABC, CBS, NBC, Bravo, et cetera et cetera.

Give a choice, they'll always cut and run.

8. Terry_Herrington

They need to pick a neutral location, like a town hall, and pick a diverse group of people to ask questions and have a fair debate. That's all I really want to see, on both sides of the aisle.

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Lies and distortions are spouted on both disedd of the isle and by all the news agencies. Then there is always the claim that the other side is running from open and honest debate. No one can say that Bill Clinton has been always treated fairly and no one can say that President Bush has always been treated fairly etc.

Terri however has a reasonable solution to such debates.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think that is what this was going to be. It was in Nevada, and there were several different questioners. Why shouldn't a conservative be allowed to ask questions, or sponsor a debate?

11. Terry_Herrington

I conservative questioner would be perfectly alright, just as would a liberal, in fact you should have both and then some moderates as well. But, just as these people should be allowed, the candidates should be allowed to decide which debates they will attend and under what circumstances.

12. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

They should be, that is at least until the CEO and Chairman of the sponsor purposfully substitutes Osama Bin Laden's name with a current Democratic presidential candidate. Even if it was a joke it was in EXTREMELY poor taste and childish. If Fox does not see fit to take things seriously why should the Democrats want to participate in their debate?

I'm with Terry on this one. Give me a debate in a town hall type of forum with questions/questioners from all political stripes and colors. One that focuses squarely on the relevant issues facing the country. I want to hear something substantial. I am tired of the kindergarten politics that keep candidates on every side from dealing with the real issues and instead force them to defend themselves from ridiculous non-issue charges.

#12 Filmproducer, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2007
  13. redbelt

redbelt New Member

Using the words 'ignorant' and 'fool' does not strengthen your assertion that the Democrats had a 'real reason' to step away from the debate other than fear of some of those on the far left of their party were pushing them to avoid being on Fox News.

Fox news is about the only news agency where I can actually hear both the right and left discuss issues and present both sides. I wish more news agencies would follow their lead.

I'm disappointed by your personal attacks on me, it doesn't promote discussion. Simply because my views are not yours shouldn't make you stoop to name calling.

My opinion is, the democratic candidates don't want to go this debate because they might get more then simple softball questions posed to them from a news station that attempts to give both sides a fair shake. Because of that, my opinion is, they are running away from this debate.

I hope this discussion and even disagreement could continue without the personal attacks, but I guess that is up to you.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it's more likely because the democratic party in Nevada is owned by radical fringe groups such as Moveon.org.

If Republicans were cowards like democrats and stayed away from news sources they think are biased, they would have boycotted ABC,NBC,CBS,NYT,LAT,AP etc., long ago.

15. redbelt

redbelt New Member

I don't agree much for his politics, but I sure admire his willingness to debate his ideas anywhere. I guess that is what I was expecting from all the democrats regarding this debate.

If because Fox News leans to the right, it is not suitable or a worthy news agency to host debates, does that also mean that those news agencies that lean to the left should be considered in the same way? Doesn't that sound fair?

Hmmm.... I guess we wouldn't have any debates then, would we?

http://kucinich.us/node/3532

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't seem to cause Republicans to tuck their tails, run and hide from networks they see as biased.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Mar-10-Sat-2007/opinion/13078877.html

EDITORIAL: Meltdown over Fox
    Network co-sponsors state Democratic debate -- oh my!

Hard-core liberals can't stand the Fox News Channel. Passing a television that's tuned to the conservative favorite forces many of them to close their eyes, cover their ears and scream, "La la la la la la la la la!" Then they dash to their computers and fire off 2,500 e-mails condemning the outlet, none of which are ever read.

But liberals' aversion to Fox News has finally gone over the top. The Nevada Democratic Party had agreed to let the right-tilting network co-sponsor, of all things, an August debate in Reno between Democratic presidential candidates. Party officials were serious about drawing national attention to the state's January presidential caucus, the country's second in the 2008 nominating process. What better way for the party to reach conservative and "values" voters who might consider changing allegiances?

SBIP

This hyperventilation results from the fact that far-left Democrats have no comparable media outlet, nor any widespread national appeal, for their radical views in favor of heavy-handed regulation, wealth redistribution, diplomatic capitulation and economic protectionism. So they attack their rivals' messenger with a reckless barrage of rhetoric that cuts down their own allies with friendly fire.

By Friday, the Nevada Democratic Party caved in to the lunatic fringe and beganseeking a more "appropriate" television partner.

Comedy Central, perhaps?

18. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I dont remember thr Republicans running away from debates on ABC NBC CBS PBS and other obviously left leaning networks.

19. Terry_Herrington

I agree concerning the inflammatory words I used, they was unnecessary; I apologize.

I jumped to the conclusion that you, like many other right-wingers here, are strictly anti-Democratic Party regardless of the issue. I thought that you might be one that only looked at what the Democrats said in order to find some new method of attack. Perhaps I misjudged you. I guess this is what is likely to happen when someone like myself engages in a preemptive verbal assault ( I guess it only works in war, right). :)

20. redbelt

redbelt New Member

Thanks Terry!

I guess I would say that I am more conservative then I am republican. I believe debate is a good thing. I believe we should be able to hear discussion on all the issues and that this was simply a way for some democrats to escape debate.

Let me also say that their are some democrats that I have more respect for then some republlicans, so i hope you don't resort to those words again, especially the word fool. Matt. 5:22 has much to say about that word and that's why I do my best never to say or communication that word.

I do have a hard time respecting anyone who is unable or unwilling to discuss their ideas in a public forum.

If republicans did the same thing, I would be upset and dissappointed with them as well.

Have a great day!