1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Denominations

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by heisrisen, Oct 7, 2015.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what book would that be?

2. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

Thanks for all the responses. Yesterday this was brought up with my unsaved family because they know we will be going to church this morning. They're so lost which is really sad. My mother in law said what kind of church is it? My husband said Baptist. So she said "so you're converting to Baptist? you know you grew up Methodist." My goodness, it's not something you convert to and see how it has caused confusion among the lost of the world? I hate that churches that teach biblical truth label themselves. So that made me upset. They don't get it.

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're Southern Baptist, that would be "Baptist Faith and Message"

though not a book, per se....

4. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't let it bother you, HIR, your faith, and that of your husband is not dependent on the views of others.

I am a little confused, though: who was raised up Methodist? You, or your husband?

Secondly, don't let the fact that there are denominations bother you, this is just something that arises for a couple different reasons, the first of which is doctrinal. Paul addresses sectarian division in 1 Corinthians 1, and makes the point that the primary concern is Christ (as opposed to leadership). Another would be culture. If we picked up and went to a "Baptist" fellowship in another country, we might well recognize we were in a "foreign" land, in more ways than one.

I will say that denominations serve a purpose, in that, it allows people of likeminded faith to fellowship and worship together. While we might recognize the error of the Methodist, that doesn't mean their misunderstanding excludes them from the body.

And for those Methodists that might be reading...

...;).

Just yanking your chain.

While we might think our own denomination is the correct one, personally I see issues with all of them, but at the same time, recognize that most of them have sincere people who worship God within the framework of the instruction God gives to all of His children. Each of these will be at various levels of growth, and that is just part and parcel due to humanity's duration of life. The Church is like the Tabernacle, it is constantly taken down, and constantly rebuilt (through death and new converts), so there is a cycle that is present in every fellowship that has to be considered.

Ideally, a fellowship would consist of all mature, well read and knowledgeable believers. The reality is we have a variety of babes, maturing, and more mature. And based on Christ's teaching, there are always unbelievers there as well (though they are in a good place, lol).

For the in-laws, should they press the issue, this is a great time to express the reason why you have opted for a Baptist fellowship, which is itself witnessing to them. With my own father-in-law, sometimes he raises objections about certain things, or doctrinal issues, and I get the chance to speak to him about what Scripture teaches...not the denomination. Obviously we are all going to think the denomination we have chosen is the right one (and of course Baptists are the only ones correct on that point (just kidding again)), but if we are honest we can recognize the principle stated above, along with the general principle that anything man gets involved in...there are going to be problems. lol

Good luck to you guys, and just have some patience with them. It may be years before your witness has impact. It may not be until your children are grown and they can see the impact that a functional Christian home can have in raising children. That doesn't mean you can't look for opportunities for witness in regards to doctrinal matters, and this one point is a good example. You explain the differences between the Methodist and Baptists, and then your take on which view stands better in correlation to Scripture.

One last thing: you should encourage your husband to join that you two can, as a team, enjoy the benefits of Doctrinal Discussion and Debate. In my view it one of the best ways to accelerate not only understanding, but the desire to study. It is when our views are challenged that we are driven to the Word of God, and when we immerse ourselves in the Word...we only stand to benefit. And for a couple to study together is something that is awesome.

God bless.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in the same sense, no. The Methodists (the United Methodists, that is) do indeed have a Book of Discipline, whether it is enforced or not. Baptists do not have any such document, or even tradition. All Methodist property (including church buildings) is technically owned by the denomination, and the conference bishop decides where pastors are assigned.

The Baptist Faith and Message is not binding on anyone who isn't employed by the convention; churches may choose to endorse it (and some choose the 1963 over the latest version) or not. Churches may require adherence, but I have never attended one that did and have difficulty imagining it. Pastors -- for better or worse -- are accountable only to their congregations.

• Like Like x 1
  6. acmoore423

acmoore423 New Member

Thank you for clarifying for me! I knew the Methodist did have a Book of Disciple and from your explanation it seems depending on the Denomination each does things a bit differently. Doesn't this bother you out there. Not having something written down that can be read by the church as a whole to know what the church's stance on certain issues are. It should not just be the preacher's job to take this stance. The Southern Baptist should have a written document that all members can read and know what the Church stands for. I have joined a non-denominational church recently. The one thing the ask of you is read their disciples and know what the church's beliefs are before you truly join. It was nice to know that the church found their doctrines on the word of God. The older denominations people just take it on faith there are statements written down. I think it is very important as a church everyone knows what the church believes. It takes away any conflicts one might have because one already knows the doctrines of the church as a whole.

7. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Baptist fellowship I am a member of has a Statement of Faith, but, that which is "Written down" is the Word of God. The teaching ministries emphasize that the foundation of all Doctrine and Practice is the Word of God, not what the Pastor/Preacher says it is. He reminds the congregation of that fairly often, encouraging them to know what the Church's stance on all issues are.

All groups and fellowships have distinctives, but how those distinctives line up with Scripture can be tested. A Statement of Faith should be examined, but, that doesn't necessarily mean the leadership is adhering to that statement precisely.

This is true. All believers have a responsibility to seek to know God better through study of His Word. That is the primary reason He gave it to us, that we might know Him better, and better understand His will for our lives.

God bless.