1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Depressed & Lonely Readings:

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lilachka523, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Lilachka523

Lilachka523 New Member

Question:
    whats a good place(s) to read in the Holy Bible when one is feeling very sad/depressed and very lonely and literally has very few people by their side that understand them? Please let me know. Thanks. :saint:

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalms 91 every word of it is true.
    MB

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    23rd Psalm helps me.

Also really upbeat music, like John Phillips Sousa's marches pick me up.

4. Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever and ever . . .

Blessed is the man who walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he mediate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper . . .

The Lord is my light and salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should arise against me, in this will I be confident. One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple . . .

I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a Rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God . . .

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried away into the midst of the sea; though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Peace. For there is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High . . .

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things . . .

And to God be the glory . . .

In Christ,
    Pilgrimer

#4 Pilgrimer, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should always seek competent medical attention and competent Christian counseling when tackling depression. All we can do here to give you some encouragement and to pray for you.

Here are some passages that I found in a couple of commentaries that might be meaningful to you.

• Matthew 6:25-34 (Where Jesus speaks about not worrying.) Personally, I think the reason that Jesus said not to worry is that worrying is non-productive. Worrying also puts your focus on your problems and not on the God who can solve them.
    • Philippians 4:6-9 (This is where Paul tells you what to do in place of worrying and why you’ll be the better for it.)
    • Romans 12:2 (How to think differently than the world.)
    • Psalms 27:14 (Waiting, the opposite of worrying, on the LORD is strengthening.)
    • 1 Peter 5:7 and Psalm 55:22 (Turn it ALL over to God.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here’s a few from my own spiritual journal.

7. Psalm 43:5 (If King David got THIS depressed and prevailed, then so can I.)

8. Psalm 46:10 (Be still and remember who God is.)

9. Psalm 23:4 (There is no need to fear evil.)

10. Lamentations 3:22-26 (Meditate and rejoice on this one!)

11. Micah 7:8 (The devil may try to destroy us, but we will GET UP every time. And the Lord is our light ALL the time.)

12. Micah 6:8 (This is all we have to do in this old life….the only thing that really matters.)

Peace to you :flower: :flower:

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've been given some very good suggestions. I use Psalm 139 a lot.

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Psalm 121

1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.

2 My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.

3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand.

6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.

8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elisabeth Elliot used to open her radio program with Deut. 33;27a.I'll quote it from the TNIV : "The eternal God is your refuge,and underneath are the everlasting arms."

May you as a child of God be comforted and encouraged by His Word.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Psalms 23, 42, 63, and 37. I've been so blessed by these.

10. Lilachka523

Lilachka523 New Member

Oh honey, I understand that you can only listen/read and keep me in prayers on here. I already am quite aware of that. I dont understand what the problem is w/ me speaking my piece on here? Is it against forum rules or something? I dont understand :tonofbricks:

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was merely telling you to be careful. Some people on forums like to give medical advice and spiritual counseling when they are neither a physician nor a trained counselor. I was not admonishing you or your post.

You asked for scripture references. I worked very hard in searching through two different commentaries and my own private journals to give them to you and was glad to do it.

Again.....peace to you. :flower: :flower:

12. Victorious

Victorious Member

I read the entire 119 Psalm. Actually? Any time spent in the Word is comforting to me. Don't forget to pray beforehand and ask the Holy Spirit to teach you.

Blessings in Christ