1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Derived inspiration: a discussion

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by LRL71, Jan 26, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

1. Incorrect. The original autographs are inspired documents, not the 'original languages'. Little detail, I know...... ;)

2. Incorrect again. Versions are translated from manuscript copies-- which have errors in them-- of the original autographs-- which are inerrant & inspired. The error-free quality of 'inspiration' is not in the manuscripts and is not in the translations of those manuscripts. Infallibility is inherent in the translations from the copied manuscripts and are not 'inspired' so long as they are faithfully translated from the copies of manuscrips in the original Hebrew/Aramaic & Greek. Inspiration only applies to the original autographs. Sorry!

If you can name a 'dozen' seminaries that at least mention the term 'derived inspiration', please let me know. I went to Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary in Lansdale, PA a few years ago, and never heard of the term while in Bibliology class. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]And it is even thought among conservative scholars that even the originals had errors and were corrected by the writer or dictator. Paul had a secretary that he would have dictated a letter to be written and if there were errors he would correct them. It is easy to see how mistakes could have been made in similiar sounding words especially in some of the spellings among the tenses in the same word.

I would like to even read about one person who believes in derived inspiration and especially a seminary. Maybe someone could name one out of the dozen. I never heard of this term before other than the idea connected with the KJVO position.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While the phrase "derived inspiration" may be of recent coinage, the concept has been a position of the old fundamental Baptist seminaries as long as I've known them.

I've sat under VanHetlo, Lovik, Pettegrew, McCune, Hollowood, Myrant, Delnay, Clearwaters, Cedarholm and a whole host of men whose shoes I am unworthy to lace. They would all stand on the same principles of interpretation (though I would hestitate to speak for any of them; just my opinion).

3. aefting

aefting New Member

Exactly. I embrace the concept but don't care for the new terminology.

Andy

4. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Considering the 'newness' of the term 'derived/derivative inspiration', its wording can cause some confusion (and, like the part I played in being the 'devil's advocate' [​IMG] ), the use of 'inspiration' should only be reserved when referring to the original autographs. The use of 'inerrancy' and 'infallibility' have their own distinctions, and it is true that inerrancy and infallibility have common traits. I understand, and belive in, the concept behind the authority and infallibility of our English translations having 'derived' inspiration (theopneustos = God-breathed), but to use 'inspiration' without making sure that 'derived' is not being defined correctly can cause one to lead to false conclusions (namely, that an English version, or its underlying Hebrew/Greek text is 'inspired' in the exact same sense as the original autographs). This is why I prefer to incorporate the concept of 'derived inspiration' within infallibility.