1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Descent into hell?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by LandonL, Jul 18, 2003.

1. LandonL

LandonL New Member

Hey,

My youth pastor, some of my friends and I tend to get into theological discussions. One day recently we were discussing this and I couldn't make up my mind.

Where did Christ spend the time between crucifixion and resurrection?

It would seem from things like the Apostles' creed that he did, but I have trouble believing this. I can't reconcile it with Christ's statement to the thief that he would be with him in paradise, and his "it is finished" statement.

So, do any of you have insight on this? Does it read more specifically in the Greek, for you scholars? Or are there other scriptures that shed more light on this?

Thanks,
    Landon

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of the problem is the use (in creed and in some older English translations) of the archaic word "hell".

The inspired original words make clear distinctions: Hebrew word "sheol" is a place of the dead, part in punishment and part in paradise. Greek word "hades" is the punishment part of sheol; "paradise" is the good side.

Here is a thread from the BVT Forum that will help you understand the differences.

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000935

3. LandonL

LandonL New Member

But, Dr. Bob, if I remember my Greek mythology right, Hades was the word for both. Tartarus was punishment and the Elysian fields was reward. That is why I don't understand. What IS the Greek word used in the text? Is it Hades?