1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Despite economy, Americans don't want farm work

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I worked full time for the majority of the operations. No, I'm not looking for full-time work as of now. I could run into a situation where, if I don't find a job this semester, I will have to drop to part-time in college. If I do that, I will look for full-time employment. I would only apply for unemployment if I'm available for full-time employment. Currently, I'm only looking for part-time. I would, however, accept a full-time job if that's all I can find and then drop to part-time college anyways. But, no, in addition to the base period issue, I am not currently eligible for unemployment because I'm not available for full-time work at this time.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

These days every job is temporary unless one has a personal contract.

3. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I am not sure that argument works. Unemployment is limited. There are many people who are not receiving benefits, and have no work. They still aren't moving around the country for seasonal work picking fruit/vegetables.

#43 Steven2006, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
  4. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Speak for yourself DW. When I was young I worked at jobs probably as hard as this. And before growers got hooked on unlimited illegal labor, someone did the work. I wonder who?

5. targus

targus New Member

When I was a kid in highschool I traveled to nothern Michigan and lived in cabins for eight weeks each summer so that I could work for $25 a week.

Why wouldn't innercity teens benefit from the same type of experience today?

6. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Sheesh on crackers! Can no one recognize a generalization and treat it as such?

Myself, I grew up in Iowa. I paid for a my college expenses by working in the fields during the summer - often at or close to minimum wage. So clearly I am not speaking for myself either. It was a generalization - one that is supported by the facts. Not a judgement - simply the facts of the matter. We (white Americans) don't (as a general rule), they (latino immigrants) do (as a general rule). In the past such a generalization was not true. Today it is.

As to growers getting hooked on unlimited illegal labor, could it be that our decreasing willingness to do such work contributed to the influx of illegal labor?

7. targus

targus New Member

What is the source of this unwillingness to do such work?

I see the source as:

A welfare state mentality - "I deserve a lifestyle without having to work - the government owes it to me"

Racism - "That work is for those type of people - not me"

An excessively materalistic society - "Those jobs don't pay enough to get me the things that I want so it is not worth doing"

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Hey...here's an idea. Maybe we can send Paul over to let them know they will be eligible for unemployment benefits after they complete their temporary farm work?

9. FR7 Baptist

What race is that racist against?

10. targus

targus New Member

The sterotype is that migrant farm work is good enough for Hispanics - but not good enough for other races.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are completely out of line. When there are no jobs to work at, and a temp job is the only one there...do you pass it up because you know that it MIGHT end (not all temp jobs do end, some go permanent)? I'm sick of people like you and those on this thread who lump the unemployed in with welfare recipients and call them "lazy". News flash...unemployed people WERE ONCE EMPLOYED, some for many years at the same company before this economy went sour, and older to boot. How dare you call anyone in that boat lazy!!

As to address the OP, what is 10.25 in California terms...like 3.00 an hour in the northeast?!? How many here holding Masters degrees would work this job and not try to find similar work in their line of field? You all talk a good talk, but when (not if) it happens to you, come back and tell me how that works out.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How...because he actually took a job? Would it have been better to just not work? You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here you show your ignorance of UI benefits. A full time student is eligible for UI benefits.

14. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. I am wondering why local folks aren't doing the farm labor, not people from out of state.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Probably because it only pays 10.25 in California. That is the value equivalent to half of minimum wage in Ohio.

16. targus

targus New Member

He accepted knowingly and willingly a temporary job - which is great .

But please do not pretend that a job going door to door counting people was ever going to be anything but temporary.

To then expect to collect unemployment because the temporary job actually turned out to be temporary is beyond the pale.

17. targus

targus New Member

Actually - your's is showing.

Conditions for UI benefits are set by the State and are therefore different from State to State.

In some States a full time student could be eligible and in some not.

Unemployment should be for those who are seeking and able to work - not kids in school looking for free money when they have no intention of accepting a job. - not saying that is what Paul 3144 is doing.

#57 targus, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
  18. targus

targus New Member

Isn't the Ohio minimum wage $7.30?

So $10.25 in California is like $3.65 in Ohio?

Food, rent, clothes, utilities in California are almost 3 times higher than they are in Ohio?

Really?

19. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Calm down and chill out. I'm not out of line and you are just spouting at the mouth and sounding like a fool. If you would actually try and comprehend what you read, I never said he shouldn't take the job. My problem with what he was talking about was that he would like to have collect unemployment benefits for a job that he knew was temporary going into it. Of course, if you took the time to actually read things here, you would know that.

Another thing you would know, if you had any skills at reading comprehension, was that I didn't call unemployed people lazy. I was speaking about a particular type of youngster in the world today. The quote of the type I was talking about is:

Anyone with even a basic level of reading comprehension can see that I didn't call the unemployed lazy.

20. FR7 Baptist

That's true, but Hispanic origin is not a race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.