1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deuteronomy 22:5...

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by uhdum, Jul 21, 2001.

1. uhdum

uhdum New Member

Sorry I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this topic but oh well [​IMG]
    Deuteronomy 22:5 of course says "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God." Many people use this to say that women should not wear pants and i've even heard that to say guys should not wear shorts. On the other hand i read a commentary that said that that verse was part of the Mosaic Code, thus it is not applicable due to Christ fulfilling the law but that guys should still be masculine and girls still be feminine. I just wanted everyone's opinion on this subject, especially how those who believe women wearing pants is ok defend their position. (I have been raised all my life to believe it's ok and never felt a conviction about it, yet others preach on it being wrong). Just wanted your imput. Thanks!

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deut 22:5 is a prohibition against men and women wearing the undergarments of the opposite sex (transvetite behavior). It is part of the law code for national Israel.

If ANYONE tries to put you under bondage of what to wear, understand that THEY are just "weaker brothers or sisters" who seek to gain favor with God by their actions. They are not evil. Just misguided.

Disagree with me? Okay. IF Deut 22:5 is for us today, then we had all better obey:
    v.6-7 - Not destroy birds nests
    v.8 - build railing around roof
    v.9 - not plant two crops together
    v.10 - not plow with two different animals
    v.11 - not wear linen/wool blend clothes
    v.12 - put fringes on four corners of every garment
    v.13-19 fine a man for giving his wife a bad name
    v.20-21 stone a maiden if not a virgin on her wedding night
    v.22 kill all adulterers
    v.23-24 kill both if woman being raped doesn't cry out
    v.25-27 kill rapist only if done far from city
    v.28-29 force fornicating unmarried couple to marry
    v. 30 don't allow a man to marry his step-mother

I get really tired of Baptists who "pick and choose" which OT commands to obey.

We are not under the OT! NT commands women to be modest in their apparrel. Was God mistaken in not giving us a whole list of "do's and don'ts" as far as what is "modest apparel?" I consider God wiser than that!

3. Mikayehu

Mikayehu New Member

I was raised in a church where "pants on women is wrong." The Deuteronomy verse was continually brought up, but that is a very shaky verse on which to stand. Yes, the verse is part of the Mosaic code. And, unless you made sure to put a battlement on your house, and also made sure that all your clothing is not made of mixed fabrics (the same context), you cannot use 22:5 to prohibit women from wearing pants. Secondly, "that which pertaineth unto a man" is very subjective. I personally don't think of pants as being a "man's garment" and neither does our culture in general. The bottom line is, does the Scripture prohibit women from wearing a garment with two holes for the legs instead of one.

Having said all that, I would urge caution on this issue. I was shocked when I did a study on designers' intents on making women's pants. They were quite clear on the purpose of sensuality. Also, many wear pants which make them look like slobs. That does not seem to reflect the virtuous woman.

I think there are many things for which pants are the most modest and appropriate things for women to wear (horse-riding, gardening, etc.), but while I don't thing there is anything inherently wrong with women wearing pants, I think they ought to be very careful about their modesty and what message their wearing pants will send to those around them (the whole "weaker brother" concept).