1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deuteronomy 29

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Aug 4, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe Helen has explained it better than I could. I would only add Deuteronomy 5:29 into the mix. How is this verse compared to 29:4? Scripture cannot contradict...

Deuteronomy 5:29 If only they had such a heart to fear Me and keep all My commands, so that they and their children will prosper forever.

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Helen gave us her interpretation of a passage from Hebrews 3. Can you give us your interpretation of Dty 29:4?

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think there could be a couple ways of looking at that verse. You have the calvinist's view...which was discussed prior.

The verse structure could also be stated as a question. Have I not given you a ....? The Hebrew starts of with "Jehovah not given you...". This is a possibility.

I believe what God was saying has to be compared to Scripture. I gave a reference from the same book that would imply the Israelites indeed did have a mind to understand, eyes to see, etc. Deuteronomy 5:29 is foolishness given the calvinist meaning of the verse. Is God bipolar? How can He say a few chapters earlier in essence "If only they had...", if He were the one to not give them this in the first place? Makes absolutely no sense, is confusing. God is not the author of confusion.

#43 webdog, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you're certain that the Calvinistic understanding of the verse is wrong, but you're not certain about what the verse actually says? And you believe it is mis-translated? Is that correct?

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Possible translation: It can't mean what it plainly says, because that would contradict my stand on soteriology, which is the higher standard. ;)

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like 2 Peter 3:9?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Possible translation...but wrong. I gave my view in light of 5:29. What is yours?