1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Nov 2, 2006.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Has anyone seen this movie? It came out last year, but I never saw it.

I finally saw this the other evening on cable and was pleasantly surprised. It is entertaining, and the Christian faith & family values were very positively portrayed. Something you don't see in most movies today.

Note -- it is rated PG 13 for drug content (an older uncle smokes pot in one scene), thematic elements (meaning it is religious), sexual references (can't remember any), and some violence.

I highly recommend this movie if you get a chance.

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

How can these two statements be about one movie?!!! Sounds like something I won't be watching!

3. Brice

Brice New Member

No offense, but it’s not hard. First I can’t speak to the content of this particular movie, but I can speak to your comment. Movies, Christian or not, can and should reflect life. The Bible speaks of things without advocating them and so can movies. If I made a movie about myself, in my fallen state, it would not be G. That being said, it would show the grace of God and display the salvation message of repentance.

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. Life is not G-rated.

This is not a Christian movie, but a movie about LIFE (specifically life within an African American family) that expresses strong values and has a positive view of the Christian faith. It shows families attending church together, praying together and talking about their faith -- things that don't normally happen in today's movies. But it is about life.

Here is another reference to drug use in the movie. One of the characters is a drug addict. While we don't see her actually using the drugs, we do see the effect on her husband and her family. We see her husband's response. And, we see her ultimate redemption and reunion with her family. Not the main story line, by the way.

5. FBCPastorsWife

Ok...I guess I can see how it can co-exist in a movie. Because of the drug use, it is still nothing I am interested in seeing. No offense...

6. Brice

Brice New Member

:thumbsup: I can appreaciate that position. God bless.

7. FBCPastorsWife

Thanks Brice! :)

8. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Good movie. I agree with FofS's review 100%. I was pleasantly surprised when watching it. :thumbsup:

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the book of Exodus contans an account of a drunken, idolatrous orgy, as well as that of Moses fellowshipping with God on the mountaintop and taking the tablets containing the Commandments. Sounds like a book I won't be reading [any more].

10. FBCPastorsWife

If I remember correctly...the Book you speak of was not written for entertainment!

11. palagislandgirl

palagislandgirl New Member

Dairy of Mad Black Woman

:godisgood: I have seen the movie and have lived some of the things that are in this movie. If anything, I see the idea that God will get us through all the circumstances in life. It is a whole lot cleaner than some so called family movies that you will find out there!

Vicki

12. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

A very valid statement. Perhaps the writer, producer, and cast members of this movie have a redemptive message as well as working for their wages.

Remember our Lord's reponse to Mark 2:16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?

Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

You and I don't need to see this movie. But some seeing it may look deeper. That would be good.

13. FBCPastorsWife

I do agree with you on this point! :thumbsup:

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I didn't see it when it first come out, but then this past year, viewed it after I saw Family Reunion.