1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dick Durbin kills successful public school voucher system

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I agree that schools are necessary. I just don't think government should be involved in them at all. I think each local community should create and support its own school. A state, city, or local government does not need to be involved. A group of parents just need to work together and develop how they would like to deal with schooling in their small, local, neighborhood. This may consist of parents pooling together money to pay a teacher to teach their children. This could consist of the parents deciding that one of them will be the teacher and the other parents will just help out with supplies and such. It could mean many different things, but should be decided at that local level. The moment government is involved, bureaucracy becomes involved and problems start.

2. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Thanks to Salty, I have the following link to post regarding cost per pupil for education by state: http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf/pupilspending.htm

The average for all states was a little over $9,100.00 per student. I seriously doubt that vouchers supply the private schools with the equal financial resources as those of the public sector.... so considering that those students would have been taught in the public schools.... wouldn't the expense of their education increase the burden on the tax payer if educated in the public schools? When the purpose of taxes for education is to ensure that we have a citizendry which is educated..... why do we deny parents a choice in the education of their children by insisting that they are sent to state supported schools? Is it because education means more than 'education'....... i.e. it means controlling the melieu in which children can learn: it means providing values or indoctrination into those which best represent what the parents desire in exposure: it may even mean retaining the influence of a particular culture or support of religious beliefs which are agreeable to both parents and child.

While one may see flaws in this, is it not true that even the public system engages these aspects of education... only it is aimed more at conformity, countering the intrusion of variant beliefs and values in the home which differ or are at odds from the direction of political correctness of society at large.... or more importantly.... the influence of educators who are involved in the very policy making decisions after receiving their indoctrination in the public universities... and being lead by those who are promoted from within based more upon their political and fraternal affiliations than their commitment to the communities and values most favored by society's majorities?

These threads/links have a glimpse of info which should cause any parent to worry who has no choice but to depend on public schools for their children. Its enough to make my long hair stand on end! (well almost)
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=63326
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579846,00.html?test=latestnews
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=63193

Here in a conservative community, where the school boards makes a special effort to background screen on every employee hired.... still hardly a year goes by without some report of a teacher in the tri-county area... either abusing a child, or engaging in an inappropriate relationship. While the same may occur in a private school..... the financial control of parents on the purse strings and their added involvement in the quality and values promoted in their children's education increases the odds that their wishes will be followed..... to include a quality education as well as a value system which is supportive of those values upheld in the home.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

You know what, you're right. I retract the "trash" statement.

I must admit...I can't stand that guy, ever since he trashed our military in front of Congress, and accused them of being as bad as Hitler's and Pol Pot's army. (SOURCE)

It just bothers me that there are people stupid enough to elect him...and it bothers me that we put our sons and daughters in harms way to defend someone like him who doesn't appreciate them or their efforts.

What's more, he's willing to destroy the best of our education system...just so he can buy more votes from his educrats and organized crime buddies.

And then on top of all that...he's willing to endanger our country, just so he can buy some votes with some government jobs.

Corrupt? Without question. He's dirty as sin. And if one of these gitmo goons gets out in Illinois, and causes any ruckus whatsoever, then I think it's time for Durbin to go on trial for treason...and let the punishment fit the crime (through our legal and judicial system, to be clear).

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I like and agree on what you are saying. I guess you could say that is how I went to school. I was what they call today home schooled. However we might take English at Mr. and Mrs. Jones house and history at Mr. and Mrs. Smith house and math and algebra at my house. Their was a group of us in some fields of study of maybe 20 and other fields 6. We played ball or took music at the local school.
    But, here comes the big but, to many parents don't put that much time in their children today. It isn't just work and social live of the parents, it is to many kids are having children and they might not been taught what is needed to be a parent. I know we had a good idea from watching our parents, as well as other parents and what was taught in SS and church (even though I didn't accept Jesus Christ as my Savior until later) as well as at home.
    It isn't money either or I don't think it is. It is what values that the parents have and what they were raised with. We were what would have been called poor today, but I didn't know it. Didn't have indoor pluming or electricity and so on.

Parents can't do or teach what they don't know.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Hogwash, Horsefeathers, Poppycock, and bovine scatology.

You can't see the difference between a voucher and government endorsement of religion?

Perhaps a visit to an opthamologist is in order...

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That would be true if vouchers were extended only to religious private schools. But if vouchers are extended to all accredited private schools without regards to whether they are religiously affiliated or not, then it's not a violation of Separation of Church and State (both the Constitutional provision and the Baptist Distinctive).

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

CTB knew that. He just will go to any length to distance himself from agreeing with a conservative about anything.

A vast majority of folks on the BB (to some degree) are willing to think for themselves. I don't think CTB is one of them.

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Sounds wonderful. Parents coming together to teach their children. I bet you guys had a better education than most public or private schools of today.

Here's a couple of things that people are going to think me harsh for, but I can't really say it any other way. First, it's not my responsbility to train up and teach other people's children. It's their responsibility. I know, I know...think of the children! It isn't their fault. Well, here's the second part that will sound harsh. We need workers that are highly educated. We need field workers and people to do menial labor. Part of the reason we have such a problem with illegal immigration is that they are filling jobs that too many Americans think they are too good for. If we had more "uneducated" people, we'd have workers for those jobs. That's not to say that the "uneducated" jobs are any less valuable. On the contrary, those types of jobs are what keep our country going. Part of the problem in our country right now is that everyone thinks that everyone should be part of the upper class. It's the new communism, except that everyone thinks they should have everything...not just all things divided.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Fire? Sweep them out? LOL Yah, as if.

If people cared that much, these people who devalue education and human life wouldn't have been elected in the first place.

Christians are the minority now. Our values and our way of living is being taken away, and less and less people care.

This is not where you whine about what is, this is where you rejoice in what will be. You are seeing prophecy fulfilled in your lifetime. It's both tragic and triumphant for all who believe.

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah!!! What Gina said!!!!!

MARANATHA

11. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

It isn't new, it was true with my wife and I. We want at least what we were raised with. Most of us get it, but it takes longer than we had believed. Most of us live better than our parents. Now the upper class might be a little different, but we want a good amount more than what we were raised with.

It would have to be new, because when I was in the USSR in the 60's, it looked like equally shared poverty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.