1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did anyone else see this?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Boanerges, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This was discussed in a thread elsewhere. It was an unfortunate accident. The commentary cited in the OP is a bit disrespectful to that point.

3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hmm...Paul Proctor sounds as if he has his ducks in a row...

Seems that in the last few years Waco has been a home of some real whackos...

4. natters

natters New Member

Not sure what this has to do with Bible Versions... :confused:

5. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Yeah...good point...just posted it without thinking...duh

6. natters

natters New Member

No problem, I just thought I was misunderstanding something. [​IMG]

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt, but that does NOT negate the commentary!

Either you believe that God is in charge, and things have a purpose, or He's not in control and things like this are "just unfortunate accidents"!

I personally believe that EVERYTHING that God does, approves, or allows, has a purpose of some description.

I suppose that you cold say that Annais & Sapphira just had a massive heart attack, but then the timing had to be Divine; wouldn't you say?

Whether Procter is correct in his detailed assesment is up for grabs, but his premise of the possibility of Divine intervention sure is valid.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sometimes we need to accept that the rain falls, and sun shines on the just and unjust alike.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, but you are comparing apples & oranges as far as this topic is concerned!

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I think Proctor is right on the mark.

God sent a wake up call. I surely hope it is heeded.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

:confused:

Accidents happen. This was an accident. An unfortunate one. It was no more or less of an accident that when a local pastor was killed in a car crash a few months ago. These things happen. They don't mean God isn't in control, but to refer to them as per the OP is disrespectful, not to mention theologically presumptuous.

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Where in the bible does it say 'accidents happen'? My God doesn't have accidents.

Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.

Matthew 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's why I said "They don't mean God isn't in control". Please do not take my words out of context.

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

So what is your point? This idea that God just kills people indiscriminately and we are supposed to shrug our shoulders and say 'well it rains on the just and the unjust' is shameful. We should take these events as warnings and examine ourselves, to make sure that we are ready to stand before the Lord, and that we are not tempting God with our presumptuous speech and actions, especially if we are teachers. God will take out a shepherd that is not doing his job. Take a look at Eli.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I never said "God kills indiscriminately". Let's not hijack this thread into a freewill/God's will thread. It's way off topic.

My point is that these things happen. They're unfortunate. In this case, it was (and I hate to use the word) a stupid mistake of mixing electicity with water, a mistake that people make a thousand times a day. To make this one event into some kind of Left Behind sequel is not only disrespectful to the people involved in this instance, it's disrespectful to the Word.

16. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Interesting perspective. When I was reading his final sermon, I was thinking that there was a man who had stepped outside of the "hedge".