1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did anything die before sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by zrs6v4, Dec 10, 2009.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would a plucked flower have wilted in the Garden? What about the "natural" digestive process...would feces have decayed or just continued to pile up?

2. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

God breathed into man more than just life, what's your point anyway? Are you saying only MAN is alive? What for?

Even if your argument holds true, not all life eats plants, what about fish for example? Growing up on farms I saw 1000's of times cows eat out a paddock in a couple of hours, what you are suggesting about plants not dying is foolish. Picture the uncontrolled breeding of rabbits for example, or frogs, or locust, what you are suggesting lacks any common sense. For those that believe flies and the nasty pests of the earth were AFTER the fall, you would be introducing a creation event AFTER Genesis ch 1 just to uphold an interpretation of Rom 5 that doesn't fit anyway.

Darren

Of course death is the great enemy for mankind no one is doubting that.

Darren

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Back when I was a kid, some were going around saying God only breathes life into man so there could have been death before the fall. I don't buy that, but it is an old teaching.

I too was brought up on a farm. However I don't believe your farm or mind was anything like how the earth was like in Eden.

I believe there was nothing bad in the created world as of Gen. 1:26,28,31, there wasn't any hunger, or struggle to make it till the next day, or suffering and no death of animal or human kind.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am not sure. But if it had, it would not have been a natural death, so to speak. Iow, flowers left untouched would not die. And maybe Adam and Eve had no desire to pluck flowers.

By "decay," I would mean along with age for a person or animal life.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So glad you are entertained.:tongue3:

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm not sure they were in the garden long enough to have plucked a flower. It appears they weren't there very long before they sinned.

7. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I am trying to be humble about this, :). I am not trying to take either side, but in this point I was saying that Romans 5 is possibly only speaking of spiritual death.

I have found out a lot of shocking things, but this is because I searched my original beliefs I learned from tradition. Not that they are bad, but I have found that I have changed my views a few times. I still don't know if it is easy to say that Paul is not just speaking of Spiritual death with great confidence.

I agree, except for the fact that plants died, not that that matters for man.

I was wondering if you believe that man was created in flesh at the beginning or in the spirit? It seems like your trying to say that man originally didn't come equipped with physical bodies..

So if Adam and Eve had a child before sin, then..
    (1) he would be a newborn forever
    (2) she would have a 30 year old son
    (3) there was no reproduction

I really don't understand why Christ's bodily resurrection is meaningless if physical death was part of the garden before sin? I do somewhat see what you are saying, but Paul doesn't really distinguish between spiritual and physical death. If he were to say the sins sting of physical death then this would be a lot easier. He does clearly speak of the need of rebirth or spiritual life to not be stung by death.

We still physically die. Its just that death doesn't have the spiritual victory as it once did. Everyone dies, but in Christ we only die once then are perfected in glorification. Because of Christ, death isnt eternal and no longer means paying for sin. Im sure you would agree, but I state this understanding so you might show where you disagree.

#87 zrs6v4, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Could be, they are a root, no root no plant.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, I didn't learn this from tradition. I think the Bible supports physical death as part of the result of the fall, and I think it's clear, but I've already spent quite a bit of time on that in this thread and another one. So I'm pretty much done with that. Thanks for being honest.

Oh my goodness! How did I sound like that? Perish the thought! I was already a partial Gnostic for most of my adult life. No thank you to that! How in the world did you get the notion that I might think that men were not created with bodies??? Yikes! I have to argue this point with some New Agers, so I hardly believe it.

I don't know the answers to that, except yes, there would be reproduction since God told them to be fruitful and multiply. You will have to ask God this one day. I do think it's possible that one could go from infant to adult without any decay, illness, or blight before sin. That would be growth, not decay or death. It is a similar question we have about heaven: babies who die - are they babies forever in heaven? When you can answer that, you can probably answer your own question.

I think the victory of the bodily resurrection is over death and decay in the body brought on by sin. I think that's clear in 1 Cor. 15 and elsewhere but apparently, not all here agree. I think maybe Paul didn't specifically state physical death because it was understood; death was both physical and spiritual.

But I think the bodily resurrection is a special promise to believers of victory over physical death because it was a bodily resurrection. It's different from any other religion, especially the ones that hark on how we are spiritual beings and bodies are only temporary, or beliefs that the body is not even real.