1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Christ die only for the elect?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Linda64, Jan 12, 2006.

?
  1. Yes - Christ died only for the elect (Limited Atonement)

100.0%
  2. No - Christ died for all mankind: 1 Tim.2:3-4 (Unlimited Atonement)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

"When it appears that when the doctrine of salvation is offered to all for their effectual benefit, it is a corrupt prostitution of that which is declared to be reserved particularly for the children of the church" (Institutes, Book III, chap. 22).

According to John 3:16, does "world" include the whole world or just a select few that God has "predestined" for everlasting life?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Linda

God in His Sovereignty chooses or "elects" the "whosoever". :D [​IMG]

3. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

Why did you include a verse with the "no" answer, but did not include any of many possible verses for the "Yes" answer? Like John 10:11 for starters.

I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. Jn 10:11 KJV

Not for every one but for the sheep!

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Seems like a "fair and balanced" poll, right??

5. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :rolleyes:

6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

As fair as balanced as other polls I've seen that have a similar theme.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Unfair and unballanced polls are a game of dishonesty.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

The bible is full of verses that tell about being chosen, all over, old and new testaments. Chosen not by personal merit of any kind(such as a decision), but being choosen based on God alone.

choose v. chose, (chz) cho·sen, (chzn) choos·ing, choos·es
    v. tr.
    To select from a number of possible alternatives; decide on and pick out.

To prefer above others: chooses the supermarket over the neighborhood grocery store.
    To determine or decide: chose to fly rather than drive.

v. intr.
    To make a choice; make a selection: was used to doing as she chose.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No. Christ died for all. However, not all receive him. I don't see why some people get so doctrinally hung up on this concept.

10. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Johnv --

I agree with you on most things (not this one though). This is a point of conflict between the C's and A's.

If you believe in universal atonement, then you would say that Christ died for the sins of the whole world. Since not all are saved (unless you are a universalist), then you would have to say Christ failed in the atonement.

Specific atonement states that Christ did exactly what he intended to do: he died specifically for sins of the elect.

That being said, I don't expect any "C" to become an "A" nor vice-versa. God's best,

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh man, there goes my perfect record [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know it is. But since I don't box myself into either of those labaled categories to the point of exclusivity, it's not a point of conflict for me. Hypercalvinists claim that Christ cannot have died not die for all, because not all can receive him. Hyperarminians claim that Christ must have died for all, therefore all can receive him. Since Scripture says expressly that Christ died for all, and since scripture says that not all receive him, I have no problem with the concept that Christ died for all yet not all receive him. If others have a problem with it, well, it doesn't bother me at all.

[​IMG]

12. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

JV --- Completely understand (and agree to disagree).

But I do agree that a lot of people try to make more of this than they should -- usually the hypers on each side.

I've been a Presby (PCA) for close to 20 years now (former Baptist). Not once have I heard a "How Christ died only for the elect" sermon. Instead, the Gospel is simply presented every service.