1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Christ shed his blood for trees?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, May 21, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    68.3%
  3. Partially

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What ar eyou talking about?

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I disagree that two people are necessarily involved in reconciliation, while that is the most common and primary usage of the word and concept of reconciliation.
    In the fall of man, it wasn't just man that was cursed and in need of reconciliation, but also other parts of God's creation.

I agree that this greek word can be used to refer to people, but it can also be used to refer to things. The correct translation depends on the context of the word which I believe is strongly suggested to be inclusive of more than people from the clear allusion to the creation story in verse 16: For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth.

2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I agree with you Gold Dragon. I think it's a corollary to a proper doctrine of the fall. If creation was judged because of man's fall (understanding the image of God in man to partially include his role as vice regent on earth), then creation needs to be restored (reconciled if you will) through atonement. Atonement does not just mean Christ taking the place of sinners, but it also includes triumphing over evil. Many Church Fathers reflected on Ephesians 1:10 and argued that Christ headed up all things (recapitulation), which includes the creation. This is another reason why we should never flatten the atonement to include only one aspect of it to the exclusion of others. In my opinion, it isn't wise to mock reflection on Scripture that indicates the atonement is multifaceted and broader than the penal substitution theory.

3. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The following is the third entry for the word reconcile in the Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd edition.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Jesus shed His blood so He could reconcile trees? Or is that a by product?

5. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your original question was: did Christ's sacrificial shed blood include creation other than man? My answer is yes because of Col 1:15-20.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was no difference in the context of the op or the statement you quoted. Christ did not shed his blood for trees.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can a tree sin?

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That is the million dollar question isn't it? It seems some conflate God's dealings with man to His dealings with all other creation and tie His shed blood in with trees.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

what an inflammatory thread...

regardless of whether or not one believes Christ died for trees, humanity is still commanded to be excellent stewards of the creation given to us by God.

If the biblical account demonstrates anything it is that mankind doesn't get to decide what happens to creation, rather we are to tend it and see it managed excellently.

10. russell55

russell55 New Member

Whoa there! How can God have by-products? Isn't any result that comes from a work of God an intended result. If the whole of creation will eventually be redeemed as a result of Christ's work then isn't that one of the intended purposes of Christ's work? How can you call something that is purposed a by-product

There can be secondary purposes, I suppose—purposes that come about as a direct result of other, more primary purposes—but never "by-products."

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

God gave trees so I could use them in my home.

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one looks at the vast majority of the environmental movement today, I think the purpose of this thread (correct me if I'm wrong Rev) is to get the proper balance of MAN vs NATURE.

Most of the environmentalists are putting the creation far, far above the Creator.

In other words, sans man, the death of Christ was/is useless, since trees & rocks don't die and go to hell/heaven either way; Calvary or no!

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walt Disney had doing lots of things, so maybe....

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You're not wrong.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand this post. Please explain.

16. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For those who do not believe the reconciliation of the rest of creation besides man was involved in Christ's sacrifice on the cross, how do you reconcile your belief with what it says in Colossians 1:15-20?

17. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I'm sorry but I don't see the connection.

1Cr 1:15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 1Cr 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. 1Cr 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 1Cr 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 1Cr 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 1Cr 1:20 Where [is] the wise? where [is] the scribe? where [is] the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I left out the word "them." It shoud have read: "Walt Disney had them doing lots of things, so maybe..."

And that refers to is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhnpFkjwhT8

19. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Colossians, not 1 Corinthians. I have the Colossians verses several posts above.

20. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I cannot speak for "most of the environmentalists", but is it really necessary to hold one of two polarised views on this? Of course Jesus Christ did not shed His precious blood for trees (or for rocks, snakes, tigers, dogs, cats, tortoises....) But that doesn't mean we can say, "Jesus didn't die for trees (or for rocks, snakes, tigers, dogs, cats, tortoises....) so if I will treat them exactly as I please. If I want to treat them cruelly or destroy them merely for my pleasure, I'll do it!"

I would also suggest that anybody who does not believe in our Creator God, whether or not they are "environmentalists", will put creation above the Creator (though of course they wouldn't call it "creation" :laugh: !)