1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

did Enoch die ?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by wopik, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Me2,

The question is "Did Enoch Die?" not "did Enoch go to Heaven?"

I don't know where he went, but the fact of the matter is that Enoch did not die. I don't need to do an internet search to figure that out. Just read the Bible.

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

He went where God took him---where else??

3. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Amen. And there is doctrinal teachings that could explain where Enoch went, but that's another topic.

4. Me2

Me2 New Member

why is it that you guys dont understand that enoch could not receive the indwelling christ spirit.

he couldnt receive the indwelling spirit, nor could he receive a glorified resurrected spirit body.

IT DIDNT EXIST.

Not until Christ was born, died and was resurrected was the indwelling spirit available to be given to mankind. 3000 year after Enochs life.

the only place for Enoch to go was death, to await Christs very own personal resurrection.

Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

there is only one man resurrected.

to be resurrected into life...
    one must have the "indwelling" spirit "within".

1Jo 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

Enoch didnt have the witness "within" him.
    no OT saint had the spirit indwelling "within" them.
    It simply and plainly wasnt available until christ died FIRST was resurrected and glorified. allowing mankind to receive it after proving its power of righteousness.

Enochs mortal body was destroyed as all mortal men were.
    Enochs spirit and soul went into death.
    awaiting Christs death and resurrection.

5. wopik

wopik New Member

According to the biblical narrative (Genesis 5:21-24), Enoch lived only 365 years (far less than the other patriarchs in the period before the Flood).

Neither scripture tells us how or where God took him, only that He did. Did God take Enoch to heaven? Clearly not, because Jesus Himself said that "no one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man ..."

Further, Hebrews 11 lists many faithful men and women of the Bible (including Enoch) but concludes that "all these, having obtained a good testimony through faith, did not receive the promise ..." (verse 39). Obviously, then, Enoch neither ascended to heaven nor received
    the promised eternal life.

6. wopik

wopik New Member

Genesis 5:23 makes it clear that Enoch ultimately did die: "So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years." He lived 365 years and no more. He isn't still alive and walking with God. The expression "all the days" is used of eight other people in this same chapter-all of whom obviously died.

Hebrews 11:5 tells us Enoch was "taken away." The same Greek word refers to the remains of the patriarch Jacob being "carried" from Egypt (where he had died) to Shechem, where he was later buried.

7. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

All the other passages in Gen. 5 end with "and he died".

The passage about Enoch is different. It says "and he was not for God took him".

Why is so hard for you to see something that is obviosly there?

I don't know where he went;where God took him, but he did not die.

Peace,

Tam

8. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

They don't listen to sound biblical exegesis, Tam. It all goes back to their false teaching of "soul sleep." They'll do whatever they can to hold onto it.

9. wopik

wopik New Member

tamborine lady:

I agree; He was taken away and was not found. But it also says ALL his days were three hundred and sixty-five years- Gen 5:23.
    That's as long as Enoch lived.

I am of the opinion Enoch died just like anyone else, and perhaps God took such a righteous man away from his evil/corrupt/violent pre-flood environment to save his physical life from harm -- Genesis 6:11-13.

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This just isn't that hard. We read the text - we believe it.

Enoch: apparently "pleased God" so much that God took him up to heaven. Something
    we do not find among NT saints until the second coming.

Instead of the formula “so all the days of ABC were nnn years AND HE DIED” we find “So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.

Impossible to miss. “God took him” (“He was Taken UP” Heb 11:5) “So that” he would not see death.

We find that Moses is on the same footing as Elijah BEFORE the Cross --

The NT does fully identify that reward that is given to those that please God and
    are taken "UP" by God while still alive (1Thess 4:13-18, 1Cor 15:50-58)

In Christ,

Bob

11. wopik

wopik New Member

I do not believe that Enoch ascended into heaven; I believe he was translated, which is not the same thing.

good point!

"....the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more" (was not found) --- Acts 8: 39.

"But Philip WAS FOUND at Azotus:...." -- Acts 8: 30.

Sound familiar? "not found" ----- "taken away" (caught away) ----- "God took him"

12. danrusdad

danrusdad New Member

except there is no scripture that says that Enoch was later found as Philip was. The point is irrellevant...

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

But Enoch is coming again!!!! He'll be part of his prophecy---looking forward to Jesus' Second Coming----"Behold, He cometh with ten thousands of His Saints!!" I wonder what was racing through Enoch's mind when he wrote that???

14. wopik

wopik New Member

danrusdad

There is a scripture that says a whole list of people died in the faith.......and Enoch is on that list (Heb. 11:13).

"ALL the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty-five years" (Gen. 5:23).

15. wopik

wopik New Member

"....the Spirit of the Lord CAUGHT AWAY Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more" (was not found) --- Acts 8: 39.

the Lord TOOK AWAY Elijah, and Elisha, "saw him no more" --- 2kings 2:12

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The Lord took away Elijah, and Elisha "saw him no more"-----why?? Its because he became part of the Invisible World that Jesus lives in!!

The people went looking for Enoch---and could not find him---why?? Because he became part of the Invisable world where God's throne is!!

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    good point!

"....the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more" (was not found) --- Acts 8: 39.

"But Philip WAS FOUND at Azotus:...." -- Acts 8: 30.

Sound familiar? "not found" ----- "taken away" (caught away) ----- "God took him"
    </font>[/QUOTE]Very true "he WAS NOT for Good took him" is missing for Philip.

"God Took HIM UP" is missing for Philip.

"So all the days of Philip were... and Philip was NOT for God took him UP" is missing.

So also is "God took Philip up SO THAT he should not see death" missing.

You simply have to "want" to not see the clear meaning in the text to seek to get out of it as those do who try to get Enoch and Elijah "dying in the Old Testament".

In Christ,

Bob

18. wopik

wopik New Member

blackbird

The Bible says the complete OPPOSITE !

Jesus said, "no man has ascended into heaven except the one who descended from heaven, the Son of Man" --- John 3:13, NRSV.

I can't find it

19. wopik

wopik New Member

Remember, there is more than one death mentioned in the Bible. There is a first death, and there is a second death (Rev. 20:6).

Which death did Paul mean?

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I just doesn't get any easier folks!

We read the text - we believe it.

Enoch: apparently "pleased God" so much that God took him up to heaven. Something
    we do not find among NT saints until the second coming.

Instead of the formula “so all the days of ABC were nnn years AND HE DIED” we find “So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.

Impossible to miss. “God took him” (“He was Taken UP” Heb 11:5) “So that” he would not see death.

We find that Moses is on the same footing as Elijah BEFORE the Cross --

The NT does fully identify that reward that is given to those that please God and
    are taken "UP" by God while still alive (1Thess 4:13-18, 1Cor 15:50-58)

In Christ,

Bob