1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Eve Lie To The Serpent?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by standingfirminChrist, Apr 11, 2008.

1. standingfirminChrist

Where is this verse that you seem to know is there?

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

We have been over this before. You do not believe it is talking about real wine.
    So why do I think I could convince you now?

If the Bible said that Jesus drank wine with 13.4% alcohol vol you would probably still come up with a way to squeeze out of it.

3. standingfirminChrist

In other words, you can't produce one single verse to say Jesus drank wine.

4. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Isn't the greek for "fruit of the vine" a figurative expression for wine?

5. standingfirminChrist

NO, it isn't. The fruit of the vine is the grape. Its juice can be made into wine

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't recall a verse that says Jesus drank wine. I think it's inferred because He was accused of being a drunkard.

7. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Don't know if this makes any difference, but here is a quote from Barnes:

"Fruit of the vine - “Wine, the fruit or produce” of the vine made of the grapes of the vine.
    Until that day - Probably the time when they should be received to heaven. It does not mean here on earth, further than that they would partake with him in the happiness of spreading the gospel and the triumphs of his kingdom.
    When I drink it new with you - Not that he would partake with them of literal wine there, but in the thing represented by it. Wine was an important part of the feast of the Passover, and of all feasts. The kingdom of heaven is often represented under the image of a feast. It means that he will partake of joy with them in heaven; that they will share together the honors and happiness of the heavenly world."

8. standingfirminChrist

Thank you, Amy.

I have read through the Bible several times and cannot recall any verses that said He drank wine other than in false accusations.

Seems some still want to accuse Him.

9. nunatak

nunatak New Member

If you are referring to me you are really a stinker. To me whether Christ imbibed is a nonissue.

10. standingfirminChrist

Isaiah 65:8 Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all.'

New wine is not alcoholic. It is the pure blood of the grape, not a process of decay.

11. standingfirminChrist

You were posting at the time I was typing my reply to Amy. I had not even seen this post yet.

But it stands. Many still want to accuse Christ of being a wine drinker and yet, as the King of kings He would not have partook of that which clouds the mind and perverts the judgment.

Solomon did not say 'It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to get drunk...' No, He said 'It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine." Kings were not even to drink wine. If they did, it was in rebellion.

#111 standingfirminChrist, Apr 16, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  12. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Communication may have been a problem between a man and his wife even then.

Since God only told Adam that he was not to eat of the tree and not the woman, Adam must have either communicated to Eve incorrectly or Eve did not listen to what Adam said. It happens.:smilewinkgrin:

Genesis 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
    Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Eve may have read more into God’s command to Adam then was intended. Seems to happen a lot today also.

Dave

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well that somewhat plausible brother and I need to think about that but for the moment, I would rather take the verse as it is on the surface.

"no lie is of the truth".

HankD

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Yes, I agree. He was the Teacher. When a teacher poses a question to pupils, it is not (usually) with the intention of gaining knowledge for himself/herself. I remember my chemistry teacher at school making a great thing about valencies. "You must remember your valencies," and "A valency is the number of hydrogen atoms with which an atom of an element will combine or replace," were almost catchphrases with her. But if she asked me, "What is the valency of oxygen?" it certainly was not because she didn't know it, and was reduced to asking me to supply that knowledge. :laugh:

If we say that when Jesus asked a question, it was to gain knowledge for Himself, we would have to conclude (ridiculously) either that He was unable to count to ten, or that He had short-term memory problems, for after healing ten lepers, He asked in Luke 17.17: "Were there not ten cleansed?"

#114 David Lamb, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  15. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

The Westminster Larger Catechism provides this understanding:

16. Isaiah40:28

Who said that?
    No one.

#116 Isaiah40:28, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  17. Isaiah40:28

And this is exactly the type of hypothetical sticky wickets that you guys like to bring up to justify lying.
    What sin would you be committing if you spoke truthfully to the intruder?
    Why do you need to answer an intruder at all?
    Speak the truth or stay silent.

You don't need to lie if you trust God can work His purposes in any situation.

18. Isaiah40:28

Anybody know what pastors of persecuted Christians counsel and teach their flock?
    Do they encourage them to lie to their persecutors?
    Do they tell them that righteous lying brings more glory to God than speaking the truth?

What do the persecutors think of Christians who have been found lying in order to keep themselves or someone else safe?

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So I should allow my family to perish? How ridiculous.

Why didn't Hagar just turn the spies in?

Why didn't Jonathan rat out David?

20. Isaiah40:28

It's strange that you think that your righteous lies are what is necessary to save your family.
    If God saves your family through your lying, He is gracious.
    If you speak the truth or stay silent, cannot God also save you?

*Sidenote:
    You mean Rahab, not Hagar.