1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did God create this man being blind only to glorify himself?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 22, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Joh 9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
    Joh 9:2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
    Joh 9:3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

I am a bit confused by this verse. Does this mean that God created this man with this sickness only to be able to glorify himself later on? :eek::eek::eek:
    Doesn't this sound really brutal? I mean how does this fit together with a loving God? I really hope that this is not what Jesus meant. :(

2. genesis12

genesis12 Member

No, God did not create the man blind so that He could heal him. That was a common misconception in those days, that either an individual or the parents sinned, and were therefore responsible for an ailment. The man was born blind and God demonstrated his loving kindness by healing him on the spot. Jesus demonstrated that the common misconception of that day was bogus. Read this correct interpretation of that passage:

1 And as he passed on, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he should be born blind? Jesus answered, neither has this man sinned nor his parents. And now, so that the works of God will be manifested in him, I will do that which God has sent me to do.

6 Having said these things, he spat on the ground and made mud of the spittle, and put the mud, as ointment, on his eyes. And he said to him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam. He went therefore and washed, and came seeing.

Now you need to lose those horror masks that you use in your posts since all of the information you are horrified about, in post after post, is in your own head, not based on a legitimate interpretation of scripture. Keep looking up, not down. :thumbs:

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It didn't have to be God created him that way but that God picked him because he was that way. What you think?

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Yes, I like this interpretation much better.
    But from the text it's not really so clear at all.
    Because I am not the only person which interpreted it in the way I mentioned it. It really sounds a bit like God created this blind person only for the purpose of healing him later on and glorifying himself and this sounds totally egoistic. Making a person suffer only to be able to glorify yourself through it. :confused:
    This wouldn't fit to how I see God.

I have also heard of a christian who is in the ministry who asks God to send him a disease so that God can heal him later on and glorify himself through him. And I heard that this person has been sick a few times now and God healed him every time. Would you do this? Would you ask God to make you sick so that he can heal you later on? :confused:

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No XD; I sure would not for the Scripture says "thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. I believe in healing very strongly and believe the Lord has brought me from my death bed. I also believe that He has used me to heal others but I would be afraid to tempt Him

6. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Forget what you heard, xdisciplex. Go with what is, not what might have been and probably wasn't.

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Right Bob.
    I also asked myself wether this would not be tempting God.