1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did God have more of a hand in establishing the U.S. than in establishing Finland?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by mioque, Sep 7, 2004.

1. mioque

mioque New Member

This seems a more fruitfull line of discussion than simply asking if God had a hand in creating the US.

Finland is just an example (and so is the U.S.), it could be replaced by other countries.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

depends on whether you believe God to be sovereign or not

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Depends whether you believe in a theocracy as a NT concept or not. As a good Baptist, I don't

Yours in Christ

Matt

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

no

5. mioque

mioque New Member

"depends on whether you believe God to be sovereign or not"
    ''
    Explain.

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I wouldn't presume to know God's plan nor His ways. I don't know.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The OT excepted, I don't believe that God has any more of a hand at establishing any one country any more than he does any other country. Can He? Sure. Does He? No. What He instead does is give us the ability to govern ourselves, and setup out own municipal systems. For better or worse, we're stuck with what we make. But the ability to do so is, indeed, a gift from God.

The only borders God created are those that consist of mountains, beaches, rivers, etc. I don't think He takes too much interest in the borders we artificially create ourselves.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I still go back to Daniel 4

"The Most High ruleth in the kingdom of men and giveth it to whomesoever He will."

That goes for the US, Finland, Ireland, Iraq, wherever!

9. Bro.Bill

Bro.Bill New Member

No. But what if I had said yes?

10. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

I agree with C4K. Daniel 4 and even Romans 13 affirms God's sovereignty over all nations and it would be correct to say that the US, Finland, Great Britain, Egypt, Brazil etc....owe their existence to God.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Psalms 147:1 Praise the LORD! How good it is to sing praises to our God! How delightful and how right! 2 The LORD is rebuilding Jerusalem and bringing the exiles back to Israel. 3 He heals the brokenhearted, binding up their wounds. 4 He counts the stars and calls them all by name. 5 How great is our Lord! His power is absolute! His understanding is beyond comprehension! 6 The LORD supports the humble, but he brings the wicked down into the dust. 7 Sing out your thanks to the LORD; sing praises to our God, accompanied by harps. 8 He covers the heavens with clouds, provides rain for the earth, and makes the green grass grow in mountain pastures. 9 He feeds the wild animals, and the young ravens cry to him for food. 10 The strength of a horse does not impress him; how puny in his sight is the strength of a man. 11 Rather, the LORD's delight is in those who honor him, those who put their hope in his unfailing love.

12 Praise the LORD, O Jerusalem! Praise your God, O Zion! 13 For he has fortified the bars of your gates and blessed your children within you. 14 He sends peace across your nation and satisfies you with plenty of the finest wheat. 15 He sends his orders to the world – how swiftly his word flies! 16 He sends the snow like white wool; he scatters frost upon the ground like ashes. 17 He hurls the hail like stones. Who can stand against his freezing cold? 18 Then, at his command, it all melts. He sends his winds, and the ice thaws. 19 He has revealed his words to Jacob, his principles and laws to Israel. 20 He has not done this with any other nation; they do not know his laws. Praise the LORD!

12. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

This is an intresting question that I have to say I thought about all Afternoon.

I think that God had a Big hand in devloping both countries. He has reasons for certian dynasties as the scriptures have taught us over the years, all of God's creatures have had a purpose. A reason for being. Even Russia had a place in God's plan. To say that they didn't would be a Gross misjudgement, and it would be bascially saying that the Lord is not in control when we all know he is.

13. Eltrow

Eltrow New Member

I agree with this statement for all things were made by Him and for Him.

The question I pose is this:
    I light of these verses who is in control of all these nations today?

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Satan offered those kingdoms but that does not mean he could give them to anyone. God is always the one in control!

I think Satan works through men, especially the unsaved, but only in ways that God allows. So in one sense, the world system is under the influence of Satan because the world system is fallen and against God. But on the other hand, God is always in control and only allows Satan to do what God will let him do.

15. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

16. mioque

mioque New Member

Terrry
    "Yes! "
    ''
    Yes to the question I asked in the first post you mean?
    And if so could you eloborate just a little bit....

17. Terry_Herrington

I believe that God has a unique involvement is establishing the U.S. I don't mean that Americans are any better or more important to God than anybody else. I just believe that our country was established by people seeking freedom to worship God and on Christian principles. Because of this, I think that God honored this in a very unique way.

18. mioque

mioque New Member

Terry
    The more extremist Calvinists in my country say exactly the same thing about the Netherlands and they have ties with extremist Calvinists in Scotland that say exactly the same thing about Scotland.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And I think a lot of English friends would say the same...and many Irish claim the God escpecially honoured their establishment of a Catholic Ireland.

This "My country is more hnoured than your country" mentality has gone on "forever."

Biblically, God puts each government in power equally.

"The mosy High ruleth in the kingdom of men and giveth is to whomsoever He will" (Daniel 4v32)

"The powers that be are ordained of God..." Romans 13v1.

I've seen historical records, I've seen human opinions, arguements, patriotism, and emotions. Yet no one has attempted to refute the fact Biblically that God puts nations, all nations, in power.

20. Terry_Herrington

Amen! It's hard to argue with the Word of God.

I don't really think that the U.S. is "more honored" than any other country, but I do think that the U.S. was established in order to propagate the Gospel of Jesus Christ around the world.