1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did God make other saceint life in the Cosmos? (other than human or angles)

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Aaron brought up an interesting point about Carl Sagan and the Voyagers. Now with both spacecraft near the Heliosphere and are about to enter interstellar space and the recent find of other planets around other stars. I wonder if God created other intelligent life in the Cosmos. What are your thougts? Incompatable with the bible? Is the bible irrelivant to the question?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I do not think there is intelligent life on other planets, at least any made in the image of God. I think that there would be some hint of this in the bible if there was.

Also, if this were true, we would have evidence by now and we don't (I reject UFO stories/videos, Roswell stories, etc. as hoaxes and overworked imaginations as well as some demonic activity).

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes I have trouble believing there is intelligent life on Earth...:wavey:

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Why would there be a hint of this in the bible? The bible is conserned with Man and his relationship with God. (I'm not saying there is other intelligent life) Why would it discuss other beings with whom we will have (most likely) no contact until the consumation of all things?

I don't believe in junk like roswell either.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If the Bible doesn't speak of it, and it doesn't affect our lives at all, why worry about it? I personally do not believe there is life on other planets especially life like we know life. That's certainly not something I worry about or think about. My goal here in life is to glorify God. Extraterrestrial life doesn't help me with that.

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. I think you're intelligent. :laugh:

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not worried about it. Just wondering what people thought about the subject. However, there are people (I'm not included in them) who say the bible's account of the "son's of God" recorded in Genesis are aliens. Now Jewish Apocalyptic literature calls them Watchers or fallen angels whom some here agree with them. Why not aliens?

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

[​IMG]
    Florida has many aliens amongst us. Some with green cards and many more that don't. [​IMG]

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That would be the entire country not just Florida. Some have green cards some have boarder crossing cards some have visa's many more do not. However, I did see a special on all the retirees moving to Mexico because the Cost of Living is low there. St. Martin I think. Unsure.
    But how about this article?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7891132.stm

#9 Thinkingstuff, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
  10. billwald

billwald New Member

Sons of God, daughters of men.

Please explain Gen 6:1-4 in terms of DNA. What kind of critter were the "sons of God?"

New International Version (NIV)
    Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

Genesis 6 (New International Version)

1 When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [a] man forever, for he is mortal ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."
    4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Well, Genesis doesn't talk about DNA. However, how similar must creatures be in order to breed? DNA must be within a certain percentage of compatability. Unless of course the "sons of God" could assume Human DNA and transmit it. However, it says they are Nephilim (decendents) or Giants so there is some DNA differences there. The Jewish Apocalyptic literature makes them out to be monsterous and canabalistic.

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

So, we have found a few rocks among the stars. What do you expect to get, a chance to join the Galactic Federation? I don't care if they find 8 legged cows out there. This is the only place where the Son of God had to come and die for so we can have eternal life. There is no other such place, in all of God's creation, that can lay hold to that claim.

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

DNA must be within 100% compatibility or else you would have some scientist somewhere mating the fruit fly with a human. :rolleyes:

The "sons of God" are the line of Seth. The daughters of men are from the line of Cain.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think if God's image bearers (us) can come up with different alien species on other planets, it really would be a cakewalk for God to. I'm not saying He has, or He did, though. We are so quick to dismiss these sort of things just because they are not mentioned in the Bible, but God's creation of the heavens and the earth encompasses a pretty broad area. At any rate, God will give us dominion over them one day if they do exist when we rule and reign with Christ.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There are at least 4 views on who the "sons of God" are in Gen 6. I do not think they are either fallen angels or aliens.

I wrote an article years ago on the occult correspondences between so-called alien abductions and occult out-of-body experiences. It is also interesting to note that many of those who claim to have seen aliens or to have been abducted had studied occult and/or New Age beliefs. The guy who wrote "Communion" is a good example.

Here is the article I wrote (for Watchman Fellowship, a discernment ministry):
    http://www.watchman.org/na/ufomontg.htm

The article includes some info on some witches I knew and an encounter with a UFO.
    ___The leader of this group (named John) told me personally that the spaceships could not be seen, but that his group was in telepathic contact with the aliens. The last time I spoke with him, John reported that the aliens had become unfriendly and were now trying to possess the bodies of those in his group. John was genuinely afraid, so afraid that he and several people in his group were leaving the area. This incident and my experience supported by the Bible validating possession, leads me to believe that the abductees are encountering demons.___

Also, many who have such experiences end up with a New Age worldview. I believe that any UFO or alien encounters, if real (and not a hoax or imagination or natural explanation) are demonic.

16. billwald

billwald New Member

Marcia - interesting essay, interesting website.

For anyone interested in this stuff, CtoC often discusses it. see www.coasttocoastam.com

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hey, thanks for reading it!

I was asked by someone who works with that radio show about being on it, but it hasn't worked out so far.

18. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

The fact is since the bible is silent on the subject we just don't know either way. The Bible is our history, us as man the planet we live on and our galaxies. However how could we possible know if at some point in time God chose to create other galaxies and planets with other people. We just can't possible know these things, they are for God to know.

If I had to speculate the one thing that would lead me to say no, is that we are told about Satan and how he was cast out. Since this is where he came to I think one could conclude this was it, no other choice. Of course it God had made another earth in another time it might not have even existed by the time our earth was created.

We will just have to wait until we can ask Jesus :godisgood:

19. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God revealed to the people of earth what we needed to know and in a way we could comprehend.

God did not tell His people, "There are these creatures I have created that are too small for you to see, and they can make you sick." He just told them to be clean and not eat pork. He knew they would never grasp the concept of microbes, and told them what they needed to know.

In the same He may have chosen to create other humans with whom He has dealt with in they way they needed. While we can and should be curious, and want to explore and learn, I don't think we need to be worried about the possibility. It doesn't really make any difference if He did or didn't create them. His Word given to us is what we need.

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ah, but it may matter.

For the sake of argument lets say there is other sacient life other than human in the Universe. Lets call them Vulcan (for the sake of argument and to involve Star Trek Fans) Now lets say we develope a techinology with these creatures to enable interbreeding. Now Sin is inherited conseption problem with humans. Humans thus have the need to be saved. What about Mr. Spock? He's half human and half Vulcan.... :smilewinkgrin: