1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus Christ Tithe?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, May 1, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

JESUS said 'lest we offend them'. No one here had to.

Show me in the New Testament where Jesus taught on tithing a 10th. Show me tithing in the N.T.

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Matthew 5:17-19: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Leviticus 27:30 "And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD."

3. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

Not to hi-jack this thread, but which of the OT sacrifices would 'sinless' Jesus had to make? The sin offering? the trespass offering? the continual burnt offering?

4. richard n koustas

Not to hi-jack this thread, but which of the OT sacrifices would 'sinless' Jesus had to make? The sin offering? the trespass offering? the continual burnt offering?

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Exodus 23:18 -
    Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread; neither shall the fat of my sacrifice remain until the morning.

Exodus 23:19 -
    The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring into the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

6. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Prior to the cross even Christ was subject to the law. Since He never sinned we have to assume He tithed and rightly so. Prior to His ministry He was a carpenter and was therefore paid.

Posted by David Micharl Harris: When I became a Christian I was always giving cash for this that and the other, then the Lord told me to tithe, so I did., I found I was not giving as much but I was still free to add via the "freewill offering" so to speak.

David, Just how did the Lord ask you to tithe seeing it is contrary to His word? He didn't tell you through the scriptures seeing as there are none for the church pertaining to tithing. The Holy spirit wouldn't burden you to do something outside the bible.

God wants you to give as much as you want from a cheerful heart. But He never tells us to tithe.

7. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

It was a long time ago, about 8 months or so after I became a Christian. It just seemed to be in all the preaching, bible studies etc etc at the time. It ordered my life and I felt better for it. For some people I think it can be a bind but for me it slotted in very nicely. I had no problems tithing. Btw, now I do not tithe.

Also I had a well paid job at the time and had always been good with cash so it was easy I suppose for me. Others who are strapped for cash so to speak find it hard to give a tenth when they seem to have little. And its hard to have faith sometimes in reality.

I determined in my heart that I would give a tenth to the church I was a member of, that is biblical, from the very words of Paul the Apostle.
    1 Cor 16:2

It was what I chose, others might choose to give more or to give less. I agree that we are not under obligation to give a tenth.

People are always looking for a fight [​IMG]

David

[ May 04, 2005, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: David Michael Harris ]

8. richard n koustas

Soulman:
    I have never really thought about the question in the openning post. I may need a little education at this point. I thought that the OT tithe was always food ('seed of the land, [or] of the fruit of the tree' or 'of the herd').

Were those that were not farmers, or herdsmen required to pay the tithe? :confused:

9. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Richard,

Deuteronomy 14:22-26 (Using NIV)

Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your heards and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tith because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is too far away, then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver to buy whatever you like; cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.

10. richard n koustas

TexasSky:

Not sure what your answer is. based on the passage that you provide, the tithe looks like something to be ingested (grain, wine, oil, animal). The passage looks like it is addressed to some one that grows grain, grapes, olives, or livestock (ie, farmers and or herdsmen).

So, "Were those that were not farmers, or herdsmen required to pay the tithe? [Confused]"

I'm not "looking for a fight", just looking for the answer...

11. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Richard,

I'm sorry. I wanted to present the scripture as straight forward as I could without trying to interpret it for you. I do that a lot because the bible promises that those who hunger and thirst after righteouness will be filled. I think if you look to your bible and pray you will get your answers.

Personally, after years of study and reading, I believe it was God's intent that we give 1/10th of whatever our best is, to God's glory. I don't necessarily think that means a crop, or our paycheck.

However - I do believe in trying to tithe to support a church. Modern ministry is often a 24 hour/7 day a week job, and while I don't want the profession to reach a point where non-Christians take on the profession because they think it is a fun-way to make a living, I do believe we, as Christians, owe it to these dedicated men (and women in the case of children's ministry or missions) to ease their financial burdens so they can focus on getting God's word to others.

Talk to God about this. Pray, study His word. Don't ask others what God wants from you. Ask God.

12. richard n koustas

The original question was “Did Jesus Christ Tithe?”

I have not found anything in this thread that supports that He did....

Diane mentioned that He paid the ‘temple tax’. This tax was not the tithe. This tax (or tribute) was instituted during the construction of the tabernacle. Each male over 20 years old was required to pay a half shekel, no matter how rich or poor he was (no 10 % here). This tax was implemented a couple times during the OT. This is why Joab got angry with David in 2 Sam 24. In numbering the men, Joab had to collect half shekel from each...Joab, in essence, became a tax collector.

Did you notice that the coin in the fish’s mouth was a shekel (according to the NASB, anyway)? This was used to pay tribute for Jesus and Peter, half shekel each(!)

“...and take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for you and Me”. – Matt. 17:27

13. loving2daysyouth

loving2daysyouth New Member

Tithing is not Biblical, why would Christ teach it?

14. richard n koustas

loving2daysyouth
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    I'm not sure what you mean by this statement...

15. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by David Michael Harris: People are always looking for a fight.

David, Not looking for a fight. Just accuracy. When people say they were led by God to do something contrary to Hos word it cannot be true.

BTW the verse you quoted as stating paul said 1/10th should be given:1 Corinthians 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Never is a tithe or 10% mentioned. It was referring to a gift of the heart.

Posted by richard n koustas: I have not found anything in this thread that supports that He did....

Once again I will say Jesus tithed. The only proof text there is, is that He was a jew under the law and obligated to tithe as was everyone else.

Posted by Texassky: Personally, after years of study and reading, I believe it was God's intent that we give 1/10th of whatever our best is, to God's glory. I don't necessarily think that means a crop, or our paycheck.

You werent studying the new testament were you? Where in the NT do you find God wants us to give 10%?

We are to give in the NT. We are not compelled to tithe as it died with the fulfillment of the law.

Tithing as practiced in churches today was never done in the bible. There is not a single verse anywhere that allows a man or organization to take 10% of a mans wages. Tithing was never for money.

Posted by loving2daysyouth:quote: Tithing is not Biblical

Oh, but it is. It is just not NT. Nor is it for money.

16. David Michael Harris

I said that I had determined to give a tenth. My personal choice and nowhere did I say that 1 Cor 16:2 mentioned giving a tenth.

Maybe this is another example of the horse manure I was fed by the Baptist church I got involved with when I first became a Christian. I think the best thing that Church ever did for me was to baptise me and thats about it.

The Hebrew for tithe means 'to give or take a tenth'.

To give a tenth of property or produce for the support of a priesthood or other religious institution or purpose; also, the tenth given for such a purpose.

Tithing was an ancient and widespread practice; reference to it is found in other religions and cultures than those of Israel or the Semitic peoples alone.

It is also related to the offering of first fruits. Giving back to God before we set our hands on it.

Our Harvest day celebration is similar. When we give back to God for all that He has blessed in our labours.

Tithing in later Judaism was in line with the tendency to regard the entire law as binding, two tithes were required in later times. In accord with the Priestly Code, the tithe for the Levites was collected, and was the chief source of their income.

The Mishna stipulated that everything used for food, that was cultivated and grew from the earth, was subject to the tithe. How strictly this could be observed is seen in Jesus' condemnation of the Pharisees for their lack of a sense of proportion with regard to what was important in religious observance (Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42).

In addition to the tithe for the Levites, a second tithe, which was consumed by the offerer in accord with the provisions of Deuteronomy, was required. The cattle tithe was reckoned in this second tithe. The charity tithe, in effect a third tithe, was also levied annually for the relief of the poor.

Sorry for any inaccuracy, as I said, I do not tithe anymore but just expressed my own personal experience and how tithing actually help me to order my giving and at the same time saved me cash.

Its as if I was becoming wreckless with my giving, if that is possible and I felt that God put me in order. He does not need anything from us.

Please note that I agree that we are not required to give a tenth, that we are to give joyfully of the amount that we have determined in our hearts.

Btw, I am all for breaking free from Law and living a free life in the Spirit, which is what we have been called to.

Kind regards,

David

17. Soulman

Soulman New Member

David, Thanks for explaining. Take care!!

18. David Michael Harris

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Temple Tax was not a tithe.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith: