1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did Jesus drink alcohol?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Wittenberger, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

It is strange to me that some Christian denominations believe that Jesus did not drink alcohol. They believe that whenever the word "wine" is used in the New Testament, it really means "grape juice".

For instance, they believe that when Jesus turned water into wine at the marriage of Cana, it was grape juice.

These denominations also believe that Jesus served grape juice at the Lord's Supper.

Do these same denominations believe that when wine is mentioned in the Old Testament that it was grape juice also?

So when Noah drank "wine" and exposed his naked body in his tent to his son Hamm, was he drunk on grape juice? And when Lot drank "wine" and was tricked to sleep with his two daughters, was he drunk on grape juice?

And with Jesus being as famous as he was due to his miracles, why would the pharisees bother to accuse him of being a drunkard and a glutton (Matt. 11:19), if everyone in all of Judea, Samaria, and Galilee knew that he was a tee-totaling grape juice drinker?

It doesn't make any sense!

Just because one verse says something about "don't look on wine when it is red", how do these denominations extrapolate that to mean that Jesus was a grape juice drinker when there is so much more evidence that he was drinking wine?

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I believe it is clear that Jesus drank wine.

With regard to alcohol, Americans are either total abstainers or binge drinkers. Europeans, on the other hand, drink wine and beer with their meals, thus practicing responsible drinking.

I know I'm making generalizations, but I saw a documentary on this once, so it must be true. :)

Anyway, some denominations serve grape juice in communion rather than wine because they are concerned about problem drinkers.

But I don't think there is any doubt that Jesus did indeed drink wine.

3. Moriah

Moriah New Member

There was a big debate on this not long ago.

Jesus drank real alcoholic wine.

There are people here who blasphemy against Jesus with the idea that they are standing up for him. They speak against a Jesus that would drink real alcoholic wine, and make water into real alcoholic wine.

4. mandym

mandym New Member

Whether or not Jesus drank alcohol your argument is weak at best. The pharisees were willing to hold an illegal trail and bring in false witnesses while making false accusations so they could murder Jesus. If you are basing your argument on the integrity of the Pharisees then you have a real problem.

Christian drunkards are always wanting to justify their drinking by pointing to Jesus. The alcohol content in the wine at the time was not what is in alcohol today. Maybe we should answer the question "What, if any, OT laws would Christ have broken had he made and served any level of strong drink to those who have already had quite a bit?"

5. Moriah

Moriah New Member

JESUS SAID, "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners."' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

6. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You see, here is an example of someone speaking against Jesus all the while thinking they are standing up for him.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the Bible... jesus created wine from water, and the jewish culture did indeed celebrate with "fruit of the vine"...

God not against ANY drinking of alcohol, but IS against the wine being in control over us, instead of drunk with wine/beer, be drunk on the Holy Spirit!

8. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Can you give cite any evidence that proves that wine during biblical times hade a lower alcohol content.

Bottom line, no matter what the alcohol content, it was alcohol!

9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I have two problems with this. First I believe "Christian" and "drunkard" are mutually exclusive terms. A Christian might get drunk now and then but if he makes a habit of it, then he cannot be called a Christian.

Second, where do you get the idea that the alcohol content of wine in Bible times was so low? If that were the case you wouldn't see so much ink in the Bible devoted to drunkenness.

10. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Wine, made by God Himself, must have been outstanding!

What I find interesting is that alcohol, and even tobacco, was not a real issue until roughly 200 years ago. John Wesley was bold against alcohol in the mid-1700's but it wasn't until the early 1800's or so when the movement really took off. It was first a sign of a liberal theologian to be against alcohol. Now its the reverse where as people consider you liberal if you are for it.

After the last big brew-haha :tongue3: on this issue I decided to look into the history of the church on this issue and the above paragraph is a summary of what I learned. Have some fun and Google it. :wavey:

11. Moriah

Moriah New Member

We are not supposed to be “drunk” on the Holy Spirit; we are supposed to be controlled by the Holy Spirit, not controlled by alcohol.

There are some charismatics who have been anointed with a false spirit, and they actually act drunk, they may make strange noises and movements, even barking like a dog, and uncontrollable laughter.

12. Moriah

Moriah New Member

That is not true. God is loving and patient. A Christian can have a drinking problem that they want to give up, it is only questionable if the Christian does not think it is wrong to get drunk and does not try to stop.

13. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

The Bible commands us to "be sober, be vigilent, because you adversary the Devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour." Frankly, I don't see how consuming alcoholic beverages would allow us to fulfill this command. It is when the mind is weak and unguarded that Satan is able to attack it and cause saved and unsaved alike to fall into troubling circumstances. Of course, there is the verse where John (I believe) was told "to take a little wine" for his stomach. Medicinal purposes can be understandable. It's the same as any other drug such as morphine. However, I have met very few people drinking wine or beer for that purpose.

14. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Jesus drank wine for the same reason most people do: they enjoy it! A nice glass of red wine, Merlot of Pinot Noir, with a New York steak is almost heaven!

15. Moriah

Moriah New Member

With your reasoning, Paul was telling them to take wine as a medicine but did not care, or consider that it was making them more capable to fall into sin.
    Not everyone drinks and cannot stop before getting drunk.

16. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

What is really odd to me is that some of the very same Christians who make such a big deal about being baptized in EXACTLY the same manner as Jesus, turn around and use grape juice and crackers for the Lord's Supper.

What's up with that?

17. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where do you find in the scriptures that the fruit of the vine must be alcoholic fruit when used in the rememberance of the Lord's death?

18. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Also, if you insist that this must be done EXACT, then does your church gather around a table, sit down, pass a single loaf of bread around for each person to rip a piece off, and then pass a single cup of wine around for each person to take a sip? Just curious.

19. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

It is not clearly stated in Scripture. However, the fruit of the vine is a term used for wine, alcoholic wine. That is seen when we look at the Greek. The Greeks have a different word for juice.

Additionally, consider the culture itself. Wine was used in celebrations and in meals. Wine was used, several cups in fact, for the Seder meal. That is the Passover supper. There is a prescribed time when the cups are drank during the meal. This is the meal, a covenant meal, that Jesus was participating in when He instituted the New Covenant in His blood. He was using wine, real wine, to initiate it.

If we truly understand a covenant meal we would never use grape juice again.

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Exactly. No one takes the Lord's Supper the way Jesus and the apostles did -- which was within the context of a meal.

It has been separated from that context and made a ritual which only a cleric may preside at.