1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus Drink Alcoholic Beverages?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, May 10, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We don't need to do lots of things. They didn't have freezers back then, we have ice cream now. Is that sin? They didn't have ovens back then. Is baking sin? There is a difference between a "need" and what sin is considered.

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Actually, there were ovens of a sort back then. In any case, there is no Biblical evidence that ingesting alcohol, when done responsibly and in great moderation, is a sin.

Hatred, gossip, anger, wishing people dead, creating or perpetuating injustice, withholding mercy,these are sins, and cannot be "enjoyed" even in moderation. But these are alive and well, even on this board, aen;t they?

3. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

One of the nice things about being a Lutheran is we don't have to worry about such things. Of course, Jesus drank fermented wine.

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

LIBERAL!

[​IMG] ;)

I can say that, I'm PC(USA), and we don't, either.

5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I think that is the first time anybody has ever accused me of being a liberal. [​IMG]

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I can say that too -- PC(A) and we don't either. We even have wine at our small group Bible Studies.

7. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

This is news. On my end of the Presbyterian spectrum, we think of you guys as Baptist-lite.

;)

I learn something new, interesting, and helpful every day.

8. standingfirminChrist

If Jesus had made an alcoholic wine, He would have been contributing to other men's drunkenness, seeing they would have been drunk already because they 'had well drunk.'

We have been over this issue so meny times it is pathetic. People trying to prove that the spotless Lamb of God was nothing but a sinner by proving He was a drunk. By proving that He contributed b to man's debauchery.

I am sorry, my Jesus was not like that. Maybe your Jesus was, but mine walked this earth a sinless man. He did not drink alcoholic wine, He was not a glutton. He committed no sin in the eyes of His heavenly Father.

9. Dustin

Dustin New Member

He drank wine and He didn't sin. Is that too hard to believe?

10. standingfirminChrist

Yes, it is hard to believe since nowhere in the Bible can one verse be found that says that Jesus drank wine.

11. Dustin

Dustin New Member

original post was the beginning of a silly argument, and I was moved to delete it.

God Bless.
    Dustin

12. standingfirminChrist

Go ahead and add to the book. You know the results.

13. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Did I add anything? Nope.

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Nothing in the Bible indicates that Jesus drank wine? OK. Interesting theology, that.

15. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I'm pretty dissappointed you'd say something like that. I mean, it doesn't say in the Bible that Jesus ever got sick, or took a bath, or used the bathroom, but that stuff happens to humans.

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I have to say that it was most liberating to me to realize that Jesus had to be potty trained. There's something in that that helps me relate to and understand just how far God has gone to reconcile us to Him.

17. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Apparently those in Jesus' day believed He drank wine with alcohol---and Jesus did not correct this as a matter of fact He states He drank wine that John would not drink and they called him a winebibber (literally translated excessive drinker or drunkard). To say that Jesus did not drink alcoholic wine is to make this whole verse of no effect. And to say that the Bible teaches to drink wine is a sin, is adding to Scripture. Never in the Bible does it teach that drinking wine is a sin, if it did then Jesus would have sinned---not possible.

Bro Tony

18. gekko

gekko New Member

is it possible to drink alcoholic wine and become intoxicated?

if there's alcohol (which is a toxin) in wine - then one is intoxicated when it is drank. right?

19. standingfirminChrist

no gekko, don't tell them they get intoxicated by even one sip.

Yes, I know it is a toxin, and the Bible forbids it, yet they hold their alcohol dear to them. Don't burst their bubble.

20. Living_stone

Living_stone New Member

Yes, it was alcoholic wine. There is nothing historically or textually to suggest otherwise. He made wine at Cana in John 2, and it was called good because of it's alcohol content which would keep people from noticing an inferior wine being served.

He drank the passover cup, which was wine.

Alcohol isn't evil. Neither is money. But God through his word rightly warns us about abusing or loving either. It only brings ruin.

However wine itself is lovely. Paul told Timothy to drink some for the sake of his stomach.

I think Jefferson said it best: "[Naturally occuring alcoholic beverages] are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".

Jesus, not affected by the concupisence of original sin, would have known difinitively his tolerance. Bear in mind that his first miracle was to make wine for people who had already been drinking for a good while! Alcohol can be used to celebrate in a good way. That it can be abused does not contradict or overturn this fact.

Jesus very well may have felt it. This is only scandalous for people who view alcohol as inhernetly not a part of God's divine plan - which it is a part of!

Jesus said of the wine at his last supper "This cup is my blood of the new covenant". The only time he mentioned the new covenant was within the context of a cup of passover wine.

And, of course, if Jesus and the apostles had been prohibitionists from the getgo, we'd have evidence of this in the early church or those writing about the early church.

Bear in mind that the people watching the pentecost happenings thought that the apostles were drunk; if they never touched alcohol, that probably wouldn't have been the first thing on their mind.

Bear also in mind that the Son of Man was called " a glutton and a drunkard" because while John the Baptist fasted, Christ did not.

Oxygen is toxic too, but you breath it daily. Breath too much and you'll get loopy and pass out.

Alcohol is a "toxin" only in that someone said "let's define it thus".

Intoxicate means "To stupefy or excite by the action of a chemical substance such as alcohol." It doesn't mean to poison, though that can be a definition.