1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus explain how to get saved in the gospels?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 4, 2007.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You do have some good observations and questions, here. So here are my and Scripture's answers.

As believe/faith is the verb/noun of pistieuo/pistis, yes Jesus said this specifically four times, in answer to your opening question.

Also, read the Gospel of John. John is the only book in Scripture written for the specific and expressed purpose of telling one how 'they might have eternal life', hence 'be saved'. (John 20:30-31) I suggest that is where to start. An above poster gave a good outline of the purpose of each of the 'Synoptics' and who each was written to. I agree.

Ed

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Read John and I John. That is why the two books were written, and they expressly say so. (J. 20:30-31; I Jn. 5:9-13) If one does not agree with this, then one is denying Scripture, as well as its own testimony about itself. With all respect, amity, it still appears to me that you are searching for an 'undeniable' 'Damascus road' type experience, as I've also seen on other posts, in order to be fully assured. That is not promised anywhere in Scripture, but other assurances are. FTR, your interpretation of Jn. 3:8a is certainly novel and singular, IMO. Don't intend to sound mean in any of this, but that is just "how it is".

Ed

#22 EdSutton, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007
  3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Both John and Jesus, not to mention anyone else, including Paul, 'required' the people to 'repent' in the NT. The problem comes when this "metanoeO" is actually effectively rendered "turn from sin", by many so-called 'preachers', which is not the meaning of the word, at all. It merely means "a change of mind" and is directed toward God and Christ. It is the 'flip-side' of believe/faith, in other words. Get that, and the questions are much more easily understood; don't get it, and the confusion will always remain, as it will when one fails to distinguish between coming TO Christ for salvation, and following AFTER Christ in service. As I've posted essentially the same thing more than once before in answer to you, it seems you still are not quite there, yet, however, but getting better. :smilewinkgrin:

Ed

#23 EdSutton, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007
  4. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Amity,

bmerr here. I have heard this explanation of this verse several times, and I must point out the error in it. Please allow it.

First off, the Spirit of God is not even a glorified "It", much less an ordinary "it". Jesus referred to the Spirit as "he" in John 14:26, etc. The Spirit is one of the three Persons of the Godhead.

Second, the wind illustration that Jesus gave described "every one", not the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not out there "blowing around" changing people's hearts making it so they can believe. That is Calvinism if anything ever was.

The Spirit works through the word of God, which is the sword of the Spirit (Eph 6:17).

If the Spirit were "blowing around" causing people to believe the gospel, why would He not cause all men to believe, since He wants all men to be saved? God is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34).

In Christ,

bmerr

5. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

6. amity

amity New Member

Not searching for a thing, Ed. Just disagree with you. Don't think everyone who denies what you are saying is denying scripture.

Plus, I do want to point out that in several of the examples you gave, ALL of which I had already cited, Christ in saying "your faith has saved you" is clearly talking about something other than eternal salvation.

#26 amity, Mar 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  7. amity

amity New Member

Jon 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

If i ever said "It" I misspoke myself, but I don't think I ever said that.

The Spirit does a great deal more than work through the word of God.

As to why God does not save all people, I don't know. Do you?

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In John 16 the spirit is sent to "Convict the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment" -- He does that for ALL - "I will DRaw ALL unto Me" john 12:32.

God is drawing all through the Holy Spirit - but it is done as we see in Rev 3 "I stand at the door and knock - if anyone opens the door I WILL COME IN". He does not kick down the door.

In Calvinism the story is told that he kicks down the door for some but not others. (Arbitrary selection and forceful interjection). Instead of that - God shows it to be open enabling invitation that goes out to all - and whosoever will - responding.

In Christ,

Bob

9. amity

amity New Member

I am not totally sure that I don't agree with you on most of this. My point is that "whosover will" is predestined.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You may, in fact, be "Not searching for a thing", but it unfortunately does not come across entirely in that way. On another thread, you well put the Biblical POV, IMO, re "making Jesus Lord of your life", in order to be saved. I agree fully with that. There is no additional requirement to faith, in order to be saved. If there were, no one indeed, could ever know if they were saved, until they faced the judgment, at which point it would be eternally too late, were they not actually saved.

I do not particularly care whether or not one agrees or disagrees with me, in my views and conclusions, for that is not a relevant issue, however to what I was saying. What I was saying is that there are certain Scriptural tenets that I see, that are not particularly open to my or your interpretation. And I was referring to two of these. So, I'll reiterate the two passages in question, although I did not quote them in the post. John says he wrote what he wrote in his gospel for a specific and expressed purpose. No other book in Scripture makes such a specific claim as to this particular purpose, to my knowledge, although other books sometimes give a particular reason, as to 'why' they were written, such as Jude 3.

John says the purpose of this gospel, in which he admittedly chose what he wrote, was this:
    He says something somewhat akin to this, but for a different purpose, in what he wrote in I John.
    (I emphasized the "hina" (`ινα) in the above to draw attention to the word, itself, which carries the force of "for the purpose of" or "in order that", expressing purpose.)
    You and I (or any other) may legitimately disagree with the import and meaning of "know" in I Jn. 5:13. That is permissible, IMO. But I do not see any other interpretation possible as to the 'why' of the reasons John wrote the above two books, for those are his (and the Holy Spirit's) words, not mine.

In addition, the four verses I cited as to "saved" by faith (or believe and be saved), were in answer to a question from xdisciplex when he asked if Jesus ever spoke of being "saved by faith", or was that only spoken by Paul? I gave these four verses as an answer to that, not as referring to what was the 'greater' subject, or whether "eternal salvation" was what was in view.

So you (or anyone else) are free to "knock yourself out" in disagreeing with my understanding. To me, that is a "non-issue".
    To deny or ignore specific words from Scripture, is an issue, IMO.

God bless, but I do 'hope' you and others who do not have the same "know so" salvation, that some of us do, arrive there, and base it on the testimony of Scripture, itself.

Ed

#30 EdSutton, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    bmerr:

". . . . the wind illustration that Jesus gave described "every one", not the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not out there "blowing around" changing people's hearts making it so they can believe. That is Calvinism if anything ever was."

GE:

That is Calvinism -- the Calvinism I believe in. You can't stomach it because you can't swallow it; if you could, you would have accepted it the way I do. But again, if the Wind doesn't blow your way or into you, how would you?

12. amity

amity New Member

Knocking on the door - of a church! This is not "the door of your heart" as some claim. I actually had someone once tell me that Jesus was knocking at the door of my heart!

Also, Ed, I don't think I ever said anything about "making Jesus the Lord of one's life." That is not an expression I use either.

#32 amity, Mar 10, 2007
  13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You are absolutely correct in both points, here. (And I assure you, I have heard the exression of "the door of your heart far to many times, and do admit actually using a "knocking" illustration some 40 years ago, knowing no better. But I do now and have known the real meaning for over 37 years, and have not used it since.) As to the "making Jesus Lord" bit, you were not the one that made that statement, but you actually, correctly, challenged the one who did, in anoher thread. And I was agreeing with your 'challenge' in that.
    In fact, and I have previously posted this as well, we cannot "make Jesus Lord of our lives". He is already King of kings, and Lord of lords! God made Him both Lord, and Christ, and it is approaching the height of arrogance, IMO, to suggest any of us can do God one better, here. Yet I hear it all the time. I fully agree with Mike Cocoris whom I once heard say this in the following words:
    Sorry if the post was unclear.

Ed

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let's read the text and see if it references an invitation for an individual relationship or a church group relationship.

20 "Behold, [b]I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears[/b] My voice and opens[/b] the door, I will come in to him[/b] and will dine with him, and he with Me.

21 " He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
    [/quote]

22 " He
    who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

notice what the text does not say "If anyone in that church will open the church door I will come into that church and the entire congregation will be in fellowship with Me"

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Fortunately Calvinists like John MacArthur seem to “get the point” about UNION with Christ NOT being defined as “the sinner alone on the inside WITHOUT Christ while Christ is on the OUTSIDE knocking and waiting for the sinner to open the door”

Here's what John Macarthur (Calvinist) says

From MacArthur's study Bible comments on Rev 3, page 1997.

The conditions are clear - God is not fire-hosing us with payment of our debt. Rather the blood of Christ - and suffering for our sins is carefully treasured - held for us to claim "IF we CONFESS our sins HE IS faithful and just to FORGIVE us our sins AND to CLEANSE us from ALL unrighteousness".

It could not BE any clearer.

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matthew Henry
    http://www.godrules.net/library/henry/henryrev3.htm

14-22 Laodicea was the last and worst of the seven churches of Asia. Here our Lord Jesus styles himself, "The Amen;" one steady and unchangeable in all his purposes and promises. If religion is worth anything, it is worth every thing. Christ expects men should be in earnest. How many professors of gospel doctrine are neither hot nor cold; except as they are indifferent in needful matters, and hot and fiery in disputes about things of lesser moment! A severe punishment is threatened…They must receive from Christ the white raiment he purchased and provided for them; his own imputed righteousness for justification, and the garments of holiness and sanctification. Let them give themselves up to his word and Spirit, and their eyes shall be opened to see their way and their end. Let us examine ourselves by the rule of his word, and pray earnestly for the teaching of his Holy Spirit, to take away our pride, prejudices, and worldly lusts. Sinners ought to take the rebukes of God's word and rod, as tokens of his love to their souls. Christ stood without; knocking, by the dealings of his providence, the warnings and teaching of his word, and the influences of his Spirit. Christ still graciously, by his word and Spirit, comes to the door of the hearts of sinners.

Those who open to him shall enjoy his presence. If what he finds would make but a poor feast, what he brings will supply a rich one. He will give fresh supplies of graces and comforts. In the conclusion is a promise to the overcoming believer. Christ himself had temptations and conflicts; he overcame them all, and was more than a conqueror. Those made like to Christ in his trials, shall be made like to him in glory. All is closed with the general demand of attention. And these counsels, while suited to the churches to which they were addressed, are deeply interesting to all men.

#36 BobRyan, Mar 10, 2007
  17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But if you read that section in context, it is addressed to the "seven churches" not the seven individuals.

18. amity

amity New Member

Bob Ryan, why are you quoting Matthew Henry? I have his commentaries and like them, but I can disagree with him as easily as with you.

Conside the context of that passage of scripture. It is not plausible that Christ is knocking on the door of an individual's heart.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was simply pointing out the individual nature of the "he" and "Him" details in the text where we see that it is in fact the individual that is responding and it is only individual relationships that are being established - not corporate ones.

20 "Behold, [b]I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears[/b] My voice and opens[/b] the door, I will come in to him[/b] and will dine with him, and he with Me.

21 "He who overcomes, I will grantto him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

[/quote]

22 " He
    who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

I quoted John MacArthur and Matthew Henry as examples of those who argue the same point about "knocking on the door of the heart" -- you are certainly free to reject their teaching.

In Christ,

Bob

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BobRyanIn John 16 the spirit is sent to "Convict the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment" -- He does that for ALL - "I will DRaw ALL unto Me" john 12:32.

God is drawing all through the Holy Spirit - but it is done as we see in Rev 3 "I stand at the door and knock - if anyone opens the door I WILL COME IN". He does not kick down the door.

In Calvinism the story is told that he kicks down the door for some but not others. (Arbitrary selection and forceful interjection). Instead of that - God shows it to be open enabling invitation that goes out to all - and whosoever will - responding.

GE:

But you're talking nonsense! Calvinism purely realises WHO is knocking and what the power of His knocking amounts to: the omnipotency of God; the awakening, creating, energising, SAVING act of God through His Holy Spirit. "If anyone opens", it's because of this omnipotent gracious God's doing. You may kick that door untill every bone in your foot is broken, you won't be able to open it yourself; it is the call of God that leads out the dead Lazarus still wrapped in clothes of the grave.