1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did Jesus Go to Hell after He Died?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by awaken, Jun 5, 2013.

1. awaken

awaken Active Member

I did not realize that! THis is copied into my documents how do I cite it?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You list the name of the document and the author at a minimum.

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

Ok...do you know where I could get some of his writings? Our teacher said he use to have a website..but he took it down.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've said something like "We had a class at church and the teacher wrote handouts and this was the content of one of them." or something like that.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #45 Revmitchell, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013
  6. awaken

awaken Active Member

7. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was in Hades.

"[A]s Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" (Matt. 12:40, KJV).

"For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
    or let your holy one see corruption" (Psalm 16:10, ESV).​

Peter says that this passage (Ps. 16:10) is speaking of Christ in Acts 2.

"he [David] foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption" (Acts 2:31, ESV, bold emphasis mine).​

In order to not abandon Christ's soul in Hades, Christ's soul had to have been there.

#47 Jope, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  8. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said that he would be with that thief on the cross in Paradise:

And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise” (Luke 23:43, ESV).​

Paul says that he himself was "caught up into paradise" (2Cor. 12:3, ESV).

Some might say that paradise today is in the third heaven, because of the preceding verse, where Paul says that he was "caught up to the third heaven" (ESV).

Jesus preached to the spirits in prison, to those who were dead while He was in Hades (1Pet. 3:19; 4:6).

He led a "host of captives" (Eph. 4:8, ESV) with Him into the third heaven.

Matthew 27 ESV
    52 The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, 53 and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.​

Those of Israel, who had to inherit that promise of the heavenly inheritance (1Chron. 29:15; Lev. 25:23; Heb. 9:15), were raised at this event, fulfilling Hosea 6:2:

ESV
    After two days he will revive us;
    on the third day he will raise us up,
    that we may live before him.​

They are now "[living] before God" (Hos. 6:2, ESV).

They are the firstfruits offered up to God by Christ, the high priest (1Cor. 15:20; Lev. 23:10-11; Heb. 2:17):

1 Corinthians 15 ESV
    20 But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.

Leviticus 23 ESV
    10 “Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, When you come into the land that I give you and reap its harvest, you shall bring the sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest to the priest, 11 and he shall wave the sheaf before the Lord, so that you may be accepted. On the day after the Sabbath the priest shall wave it.

Hebrews 2 ESV, bold emphasis mine
    17 Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.​

According to Leviticus 23, the priest was to "wave the sheaf before the Lord...on the day after the Sabbath" (v. 11, ESV, bold emphasis mine).

This is what the high priest, Christ, did with many of the elect of Sheol, as we find in Matthew 28 and 27:52-53, for "after the Sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week", "an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone and sat on it", and said "[Christ] has risen, as he said" (Matthew 28:1-2, 6, ESV, bold emphasis mine).

#48 Jope, Jun 6, 2013
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hades can also mean the grave - buried.

Where was Jesus' body? In the grave.

Jesus' body did not decay nor was His body left in the grave.

Why must His soul had to have been there? Does not the fact that His body was not left in the grave to this day make better sense?

Yes, Paradise is heaven - not Hades.

10. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hades and Sheol are the same place (cf. Acts 2:27; Psalm 16:10):

Acts 2 ESV, bold emphasis mine
    25 For David says concerning him,

“‘I saw the Lord always before me,
    for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken;
    26 therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced;
    my flesh also will dwell in hope.
    27 For you will not abandon my soul to Hades,
    or let your Holy One see corruption.
    28 You have made known to me the paths of life;
    you will make me full of gladness with your presence.’

Psalm 16 ESV, bold emphasis mine
    For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
    or let your holy one see corruption.​

Seeing as Jacob knew that he would meet his son Joseph in Sheol:

"I shall go down to Sheol to my son, mourning" (Gen. 37:35, ESV).​

And seeing as Joseph wouldn't have had a grave if he, in Jacob's mind, was "without doubt torn to pieces" (Gen. 37:33, ESV), it is correct that Sheol is the same place as Hades, and that this place is separate from the grave.

11. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I told you that I can't be abandoned to live in Canada, it is assumed that I first had to live in Canada, correct?

"David speaketh concerning [Christ]", "thou wilt not leave my soul in [Hades]" (Acts 2:25, 27, KJV).

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are disregarding the historical meaning of the word.

Jesus' body was in the grave, was it not?

13. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Jacob thought he would meet his son in a grave that, in his mind, never could exist?

14. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann,

When's the last time you walked by a graveyard and could hear dead bodies speak?

Isaiah 14 ESV
    9 Sheol beneath is stirred up
    to meet you when you come;
    it rouses the shades to greet you,
    all who were leaders of the earth;
    it raises from their thrones
    all who were kings of the nations.
    10 All of them will answer
    and say to you:
    ‘You too have become as weak as we!
    You have become like us!’​

15. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus' soul (not body), was in Hades/Sheol.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When was the last time you walked by a cedar tree and hear it speak?

Verse 8 "The cypresses rejoice at you,
    the cedars of Lebanon, saying,
    ‘Since you were laid low,
    no woodcutter comes up against us.’

17. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Ann,

I see where you're coming from. This can be explained though.

The king of Babylon is likened to a tree. This is not an uncommon allegory in scripture. Ezekiel does this. If the whole chapter of 17 is read, this will be seen (I'm not going to post the whole chapter). I will quote some of the chapter and other scripture though:

Ezekiel 17 ESV
    22 Thus says the Lord God: “I myself will take a sprig from the lofty top of the cedar and will set it out. I will break off from the topmost of its young twigs a tender one, and I myself will plant it on a high and lofty mountain. 23 On the mountain height of Israel will I plant it, that it may bear branches and produce fruit and become a noble cedar. And under it will dwell every kind of bird; in the shade of its branches birds of every sort will nest. 24 And all the trees of the field shall know that I am the Lord; I bring low the high tree, and make high the low tree, dry up the green tree, and make the dry tree flourish. I am the Lord; I have spoken, and I will do it.”

Ezekiel 31 KJV, bold emphasis mine
    3 Behold, the Assyrian was a cedar in Lebanon with fair branches, and with a shadowing shroud, and of an high stature; and his top was among the thick boughs.

Luke 23 KJV
    31 For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?​

If we interpret these trees of verse 8 to be rulers, we are not out of context of the chapter, for we find in verse 9-10 that it is the kings that are doing the speaking:

Isaiah 14 ESV, bold emphasis mine
    8 The cypresses rejoice at you,
    the cedars of Lebanon, saying,
    ‘Since you were laid low,
    no woodcutter comes up against us.’
    9 Sheol beneath is stirred up
    to meet you when you come;
    it rouses the shades to greet you,
    all who were leaders of the earth;
    it raises from their thrones
    all who were kings of the nations.

10 All of them will answer
    and say to you:
    ‘You too have become as weak as we!
    You have become like us!’​

You still haven't addressed the Jacob-Joseph problem your interpretation poses though. This reason is probably the biggest reason why I don't take your view. I haven't ever (in my life) received a cogent answer for this problem. People either don't understand the problem, or they do, and they just refuse to submit to the fact that Sheol and the grave are separate places. As long as I can't find a cogent answer, I'm remaining with my view that Sheol and the grave are separate places: Sheol being where the Soul goes, the grave being where the body goes.

Jacob did use a different word for the place of Rachel's grave (Genesis 35:20), then the place where he would meet his son (Gen. 37:35).

Genesis 35 ESV, bold emphasis mine
    20 and Jacob set up a pillar over her tomb ["qbuwrah"]. It is the pillar of Rachel's tomb ["qbuwrah"], which is there to this day.

Genesis 37 ESV, bold emphasis mine
    35 All his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted and said, “No, I shall go down to Sheol ["sh'owl"] to my son, mourning.” Thus his father wept for him.​

Why, if he believed that somehow, he would meet his son in a grave that couldn't exist, would he use a different word than the place that his wife's body went to, who he believed was not torn in pieces?

Scripture does use the word "qbuwrah" to denote the grave, the place where the body goes:

Genesis 47:30 KJV, bold emphasis mine
    But I will lie with my fathers, and thou shalt carry me out of Egypt, and bury me in their buryingplace ["qbuwrah"]. And he said, I will do as thou hast said.

2 Kings 9:28 KJV, bold emphasis mine
    And his servants carried him in a chariot to Jerusalem, and buried him in his sepulchre ["qbuwrah"] with his fathers in the city of David.​

#57 Jope, Jun 6, 2013
  18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, if Sheol is only hell and not the grave, then Jacob knew his son was going to hell and that he was too?

19. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey again Ann :)

Our english word "hell" should be likened to the partition in Sheol that the wicked went to. There was a chasm fixed between the partition of Sheol for the elect, and the partition of Sheol for the wicked, as seen in Luke 16:

Luke 16:25-26 ESV
    now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’​

It should be noted that they were in Hades (Sheol):

"in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side" (Luke 16:23, ESV, bold emphasis mine).​

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hades has multiple meanings and one of them is grave. See 1 Corinthians 15:55.