1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus go to hell?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Some say Acts 2:27 and 31 prove that as well as some other verses that I can't remember right now. I know word of faith believes this but the guy I know who believes this is a Presbyerian. He also believes that the people who died in the flood went to prison and Jesus went and preached to them. What do you guys think?

Also as you guys might remember I belive in a more conditional security than most on here but my buddy believes OSAS and he asked me how could you lose your salvation if Jesus lived inside of you, (Holy Spirit) how could he leave you or how could you leave him? How would you answer this? Thanks.

Acts 2:27 becaue thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

2:31 he seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

2. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember that the word translated as "hell" in the KJV is not always referring to the place of fire and brimstone of which we often think. In the Old Testament, the Hebrew word is Sheol, and in the New Testament the Greek word is Hades (a-des "not seen"). Both words are ambiguous references to "the abode of the dead." The context determines to what the word is making reference. The word can mean the abode of the dead bodies (i.e. grave) or can refer to the abode of the dead souls (whether in torment--hell or in bliss--Paradise).

Acts 2:27 indicates what was meant by leaving the soul in "hell" was that the soul of Christ would not stay dead but would be resurrected.

The Greek word translated as "grave" here is hades -- the same Greek word translated as "hell" in Acts 2:27.

I believe this is to what you are referring. Maybe this is similar to Luke 4:18:

#2 AresMan, Sep 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Here are the notes from my Life Application study Bible. I find it tries to present the various view points.

#3 LeBuick, Sep 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  4. Rex77

Rex77 Member

1.) Did Christ go to hell? Yes. The Bible clearly says so (Acts 2:25, 27, 31).

2.) Biblically speaking, what is hell?
    A. It is a place of torment clearly distinguished from the abode of the Old Testament
    saints. (Luke 16:22-23,28)

B Throughout the King James Bible, hell is consistently a place of eternal, fiery,
    judgment for the damned. The Bible does not teach that it had two compartments.

C.The Hebrew word, sheol, refers to the place of the dead and is not perfectly
    synonymous with tiell. It is variously and correctly translated as pit, hell, or grave.
    Job
    14:13 translated "sheol" as "grave". However, when the King James Bible refers
    to hell, it is always the fiery place of torment.

D.The Greek word, hades, is consistently translated hell with one exception. The
    Greeks may have used hades to refer to the abode of the dead but the New
    Testament used it to refer to hell.

E.The English use of "hell" in the King James Bible is clear and consistent. It is the
    place of eternal judgment for the lost.

3.) Did Christ suffer our hell? Yes

A. The suffering of His soul satisfied the wrath of God. (Isaiah 53:10-11)

B. This is the meaning of propitiation. (1 John 2:2; 4:10)

4.) Did Christ suffer in hell? No
    A.All references to His payment for sin, point to the cross. (1 Peter
    2:24;3:18) (2Corinthians 5:21)

B. This is the meaning of "It is finished" (John 19:30)

5.) Why then did Christ go to hell?
    A. He bore our sins. (Hebrews9:26-28)
    • Where did He take them?

B. He descended into hell. (Acts 2:27)
    • What better place to leave our sins?

C. He preached to disobedient spirits. (1 Peter 3:18-20)
    • Note: Does not sound like He was suffering.

D. He took the keys of death and hell. (Revelation 1:18; Hebrews 2:14-15)

He conquered death by passing through it victorious: the
    same with hell.

E. He moved quickly to paradise. (Luke 23:43)

F. He ascended with the Old Testament saints (Ephesians 4:8-10)
    • Perhaps at this time, hell enlarged herself. (Isaiah 5:14)

G. He triumphed over the powers of Satan. (Colossians 2:12-15)

H. He sprinkled His blood on the heavenly mercy seat. (Hebrews 9:12,24; John 20:17; Revelation 11:19)

Unknown Author

#4 Rex77, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2006
  5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

His Soul never died and hell is a place of confinement and Jesus's hell was when He was confined to the Cross.

Jonah was in the belly of the fish and out of the belly of hell cried I.

Some were confined in their graves and it was a type of hell.

Jesus had no reason to go to Hell of torment they were already lost.

Again, the same scripture is talking about His body not seeing corruption which He was only 3 days in the tomb and arose. His

Soul in Hell IMO, is when He was confined to the cross for our sins for that is where He paid the price.

6. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Sorry For the Long Read...But Doctrine Needs Expalining!

7. Bobby

Bobby New Member

...continued

8. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Pretty good study buddy. Don't worry about BOB, he is a "Old Regular Baptist." [personal attack deleted]

#8 Shiloh, Feb 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2007
  9. His Blood Spoke My Name

I disagree with Bobby's posts.

One thing, Jesus did not take the keys of hell. Nowhere in the Word of God does it say He did. He says in Revelation 1:
    He does not say 'I took them' or 'I have obtained them.' Because they were never out of His possession.

I disagree with Bob on Jesus' hell being on the cross.

Jesus spent time in the heart of the earth, the Bible is clear on this. That was the place Jesus went to. The Word of God nowhere says He went to hell.

In Luke 16, we read the story of Lazarus and the rich man. The rich man was in hell, the place of torment. Lazarus was not, he was seen to be afar off by the rich man.

I believe that Jesus went to speak to Lazarus, Abraham, and all that died that were in the prison called the grave. We know after His death, many that had been dead were seen in the cities. I believe these were those in the grave whose souls had not continued to the place of torment.

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Careful, Brother Bob; Calvin believed the same thing.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where DID Jesus "suffer hell/penalty for sin" if not on the cross?

Are you saying that He had to go to "hell" and pay more AFTER the payment on the cross?

I've heard some fanciful nonsense, but that is an attack on the Word.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Great! We split from the Calvinist because they became to hyper, that sin itself was predestinated.

#12 Brother Bob, Feb 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2007
  13. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Is That all you disagree with?

14. His Blood Spoke My Name

Just because one preaches without notes does not mean they are in err. I sat under a pastor for many years who did not take notes to his pulpit. And many were brought to conviction because of the spoken word from the pulpit.

God is able to give the ability to speak without notes.

I cannot find in the Word of God that Peter, Paul, John or even Jesus preached from notes they had jotted down.

Well, Jesus did write in the sand, but no one knows what He wrote.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Shiloh; is just a man filled with hateful thoughts and follows me around to try to belittle me because he can't use scriptures to do so. As a matter of fact Paul said, I never learned it of man and neither was I taught it, but it came by the revelations of Jesus Christ.
    Jesus said, think not what you shall say, for I will give it in the self same hour.

also, Jesus said, open your mouth wide and I will fill it.

Shiloh would be surprised how many on here preach as I do without notes. May God give him peace where he does not attack his brethren.

Eph 6:17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

2Cr 11:4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or [if] ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with [him].

We preach the Gospel, which is the "power of God" and cannot be put on paper.

#15 Brother Bob, Feb 3, 2007
  16. His Blood Spoke My Name

Bobby, I also disagree with the point of Jesus going to hell if the hell is meant as the place of torment. The only torment Jesus suffered was in His mind in Gethsemane and then later... in His body on the cross.

The hell Jesus went to could not be where the rich man was of Luke 16. He went to the heart of the earth to release the captives (Isaiah 61:1,2).

#16 His Blood Spoke My Name, Feb 3, 2007
  17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

18. His Blood Spoke My Name

If the Gospel cannot be put on paper, we would not have the Bible, for it is the Gospel.

But I know what you are trying to say, Bro. We don't necessarily need notes, and I wholeheartedly agree.

How many pastors quench the Spirit because they stick to a three point sermon they jotted down or stick to traditional services? One has got to wonder.

I do use notes from time to time, but have also laid the notes aside and preached effective sermons without them.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Bible is the written word and not the Gospel. IMO

Gospel is the "power of God" and how can that be written. I believe its the result but not the Gospel for there are mistakes in the Bible in the translation and there is no mistake in the Gospel.

But, I also know what you are saying and have heard it many times. I may have said it and been corrected by some older brother.

How were you able to post a "gif" avatar. I tried to make my own gif of baptizing but would not let me post it.

#19 Brother Bob, Feb 3, 2007
  20. His Blood Spoke My Name

The gif may have been too big. the size may need to be reduced. I use Jasc Animation Shop to resize my animations.