1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus Have a Sinful Nature While on Earth?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by drfuss, Jan 6, 2010.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    --The nature of man is constituted in his body, soul and spirit.

Genesis 1:26-27 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
    --Man was made in the image and likeness of God. That was his nature. Then man sinned. He rebelled against God.

Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
    --There is a command here, and there is a penalty for disobeying the command. Adam disobeyed, and when he disobeyed the command he died; his "nature" was changed forever.

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
    --Adam had the chance to live forever, but was now banned from the Garden lest he eat and live forever. Why? Because his "nature" had changed. His body, soul, and spirit were now corrupted and sinful. The soul and spirit control the mind. The three work together. And when the spirit separates from the body it is death, physically. Life could have gone on forever. But both spiritually and physically man had changed such as he could not live forever physically, and such as he did not have fellowship anymore spiritually, but was separated from God, and that fellowship had to be restored.

Adam was a sinner:
    Genesis 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
    --Now that sin nature was passed on to his son, Seth.
    He is no longer made in the image and likeness of God; but in the image and likeness of Adam. He has received an Adamic nature, a sinful nature--one that will be inherited by every man and woman to come. The soul, spirit, and body of Adam had been tainted by sin. They were cursed by Adam's sin. The whole world was put under a curse. We may not like it but Seth and the rest of the world inherit that same curse.

Genesis 3:17-19 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
    --What was the result of Adam's sin as far as Adam was concerned:
    He would toil with great difficulty (the Garden was easy to tend to).
    He would face much sorrow; he would face death--return to the dust.
    The result of sin is death (Romans 6:23).

Genesis 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
    --To the woman: She would have great sorrow, and sorrow also in bringing forth children. Her desire would be to her husband; he would rule over her, as he would be the head of the home.

Their nature had changed. It was a sin nature now. The world would give them a harsh environment to live in. They would face sorrow and hardship. Most of all they would have to overcome sin. In the very next chapter out of their first two children, one of them becomes a murderer. This is not the evidence of one who is made in the image and likeness of God, but rather one who has an Adamic nature, a human nature, an evil and wicked sinful nature from his birth onward. I am sure that Adam and Eve were good parents, but something went wrong.

Romans 8:22-23 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
    23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
    --The creation groans and travails in pain. It decays. It has been marred with the scars of sin.
    --And even we with all of our aches and pain wait for the redemption of our body--the resurrection. That is when we will get rid of this Adamic nature forever.

But for now there is only one way to partially restore the nature of Christ, and that is to trust Him as Savior. Then:
    2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
    --Man becomes a new creature in Christ.
    The image of Christ becomes partially restored. He still has the Adamic nature, but the Holy Spirit comes and takes up residence within.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
    --Because the Holy Spirit abides within we need to do His will.
    Day by day our goal is to be "conformed to His image," to be made more like him.

Some day:
    1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
    --But not now.

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

DHK, in all that long post, not once did you point to a solitary place that tells us directly what the word ‘nature’ means. I am not looking for your philosophically driven interpretation of the Scriptures, I am looking for the word 'nature' defined for us in a way that a wayfaring man, though a fool may understand, and that by Scripture alone.

If you cannot find one, why not be honest and tell us straight forward that you simply apply your presupposition of original sin to every time the word ‘nature’ is used, forcing upon the word nature a definition you decide is advantageous for the support of your presupposition. (in essence, circular reasoning) Now that would be a straightforward truthful manner in which to express your true approach to the word ‘nature.’

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Can you read:
    That was my first paragraph, my introduction, and from there I expounded on what it was.

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Wonder no more why I dismiss a lot of Scriptural passages and comments. It is precisely because they so often do not answer the questions asked directly, and only serve to meet the ends of the one posting them and in no way answer the question at hand.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    James 4:17 "to him who knows to do right and does it not - to him it is sin".

Therefore you can argue that the infant is not "able to sin" because he cannot "know" such abstract concepts as law and rebellion.

However there is the Eph 2 concept "by nature children of wrath". Does the infant show signs of anger? rage? selfishness? It may not know what it is doing - but it is easy for the parent to see the emotions all there.

If Adam and Eve had not sinned - I do not believe their infants would be the angry tots that we see today. By nature I believe they would be at peace and happy -- though they would still not know anything about that behavior as being good or bad.

in Christ,

Bob

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The question was asked and answered, and has been many times over.
    It has been explained thoroughly to you many times, but you don't believe.
    You don't believe in the depravity of man.
    You don't believe in original sin.
    You don't believe that man has an inherent sin nature.

And I believe that if Jesus Himself stood physically in front of you telling you that these doctrines were true and from Him, that you would deny it and tell Him that He was deceiving you. No matter what is done, you will not believe. No matter how much evidence is presented you will not believe. There comes a point when any further debate is useless.