1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus have to learn...?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Feb 10, 2005.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I know Jesus was born in human form and suffered temptations like we do now.

I also know that Jesus did not sin.

In a Bible study book, I am reading, it said, "Even Jesus had to learn obedience".

Doesn't that imply that he was disobedient and thereby sinned?

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Luke 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

I wonder if this is what they're refering to?

3. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

EXCELLENT reply Pete!

[​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Now that I got THAT out of the way;

Comments.

God never knew what it means to "Obey" in the human sense He requires of us, hence the "need" for Jesus to "learn" obedience by the things He suffered.

That's a tough one for this poor man's puny brain to wrap around. An Omniscient God who KNOWS all things, needing to "learn" obedience.

And Jim's brain goes...phizzzit!

In HIS service;
    Jim

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It's hard to imagine his Mama smacking his little hand and saying, "No No". But I'm sure he got into things sometimes...

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Philippians 2:7-8 refers to the fact that God the Son voluntarily laid aside some of His attributes as God when He became the Son of Man.

I suppose that His having to learn obedience was one of those things that He voluntarily chose to do.

One of the possible reasons He did this was so that, as our Great High Priest, He could be "touched with the feelings of our infirmities" (Hebrews 4:15).

The Gospels also record the fact that Jesus in His incarnation as man hungered and thirsted. As God, it would appear that such things would be contrary to His omnipotenence; yet as the Son of Man, they would not be in conflict with His human nature.

100% God and 100% Man.

That's what Jesus is!

Can I figure it out? Of course not!

Is it still true? Of course it is!

This is just something God's Word indicates that we must accept by faith.

God said it---and THAT settles it!

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Luke 2:48 So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, "Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously." 49 And He said to them, "Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?" 50 But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them. 51 Then He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but His mother kept all these things in her heart.

John Gill said:

9. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

Isa7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
    15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good. 16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

Heb2:10 ΒΆ For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
    18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Heb4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

God,even being omnicient,didn't know how it felt to be human;temptation,hunger,pain,etc...the evil refered to in Isaiah,of course can't be sin. A lot more here than meets the eye. Very thought provoking. [​IMG]

10. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

God did not and does not need to experience anything to KNOW intimately and to the fullest extent exactly what that experience is like. Jesus became a man not so that HE could experience it but that WE would have an example and that WE could KNOW that He knows. He already knew, but poor pitiful men that we are, WE would never believe that He knew what it was like. Everything God does is for us and nothing He does will improve Himself. (My 2 cents)

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus is recorded discussing things with the Rabbi's. I think that He had to grow and develop as any one of us does, yet I think that He was always concious of His divine nature.

12. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

By 'learned obedience', the writer of Hebrews simply means that he had to experience life as a human in obedience to the father to qualify as our faithful high priest.

It doesn't imply that he ever sinned or did anything wrong.

13. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

Artimaeus,
    Any scripture to back that "opinion". With God all things are possible. Is it possible for God to sin?? Of course not. [​IMG]

14. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Which part? Do you mean the part about God being omniscient?

Psa 139:1 O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. 2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. 3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. 5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

Psa 147:5 Great is our Lord and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite.

Infinite understanding doesn't leave much to not understand.

15. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

That's the one!!! :D

Now would you please give an exegesis of Isa 7:15 to support your opinion?? Sorry I wasn't more specific. MY BAD!!!! [​IMG]

HINT: He will NEVER know how it FEELS to sin.

16. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

...would you please give an exegesis of Isa 7:15 to support your opinion?? </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks for the enlightenment (I can use all I can get) [​IMG]. Let me see if I can make my point a little clearer. Before the beginning the triune Godhead possessed all knowledge. When the second person of the Trinity was born of a virgin He (somehow) sealed Himself off from nearly all of that knowledge and learned how to talk, walk, add, read, decide, evaluate, think, reason, etc. Not because He did not know how to do those things before the incarnation, not because He did not know what it was like to talk, think, or make judgements. He did that so that there could be a human sacrifice of sufficient quality to bring redemption to the rest of us humans. You and I need to experience things in order to know what the experience is like. I don't have any kids so I will never know what it is like to have kids. I will never know what it is like to have 20/20 vision. Jesus learned a lot during His earthly ministry and none of it was for the purpose of increasing the understanding which He possessed before the beginning. If that were true then He needs to come back because there were a lot of experiences He missed out on. He would not be able to understand what it is like to be a woman, a father, a disable person, a coal miner, a senior citizen, and a thousand other human qualities that He never experienced.

As far as Isa 7:15 is concerned, I am not quite sure why this would be a contradiction to what I am saying. Unless someone thinks that the second person of the trinity didn't know to choose good and not evil before the incarnation and needed to come to earth to learn it. Jesus did learn to choose good and not evil during His 33 (or so) years on Earth but that was just part of the things that He learned from birth to death not from eternity past to eternity future.