1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did our founding fathers believe in evolution or creation?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by john6:63, Nov 13, 2003.

1. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights…The Declaration of Independence

Wow, you mean our founding fathers believed Genesis was historically accurate? The foundation of Christianity rests upon Genesis as the foundation of this great land rests upon The Declaration of Independence, which is in total agreement with Genesis 1.

Therefore, creation is taught in public schools, just don't let the ACLU in on our little secret. :eek:

2. Brett

Brett New Member

If our founding fathers believed that the sun revolves around the Earth, then would you also advocate teaching that in school?

3. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Hey, I'm a creationist in the sense that I believe God is the creator of all and I completly support the opening phrases in the declaration of independence. I also accept the truth that science has discovered concerning evolution. So tell me again why you think this is a point?

4. john6:63

I’m assuming you’re referring to Joshua 10 or Psalm 19:6, to try and prove your theory, but events in the bible often are written in ‘phenomenal language.’ Meaning that man uses language to express phenomena as he sees it.

To this day we teach out kids that the ‘sun rises in the east and sets in the west,’ and astronomers and navigators use the earth as a fixed point for purposes of simple observation, expressing distances and directions in relation to it. The weatherman will often state when the sun is going to ‘rise’ and ‘set’, but no one accuses him of any scientific error. Wonder why?

5. john6:63

Sorry Paul, but if you believe the opening phrases of The Declaration of Independence, then you’re a walking contradiction, since you believe in evolution. The opening phrase says nothing about men evolving it says men are created.

6. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

Sorry, it's not clear to me that the "Founding Fathers" accepted the Genesis account. A lot of evolutionist believe God "created" man... but did so over a period of time. Is there some assumption that creation must be instanteous?

7. Paul of Eugene

Sorry Paul, but if you believe the opening phrases of The Declaration of Independence, then you’re a walking contradiction, since you believe in evolution. The opening phrase says nothing about men evolving it says men are created. </font>[/QUOTE]Your denial of the facts makes as much sense as if to say that I cannot simultaneously believe I was created by God and born of my earthly parents. I hold to that belief as well. Your limited view means, I suppose, you do not believe you had earthly parents, because surely you believe you are God's creation?

8. john6:63

Your denial starts with Genesis 1. The difference between you and I is that my ancestors are descendents of a literal Adam and Eve, which were created by their Creator and were fruitful and multiplied, just as the genealogies of the bible state.

You on the other hand, believe that your ancestors suddenly sprang into existence and later evolved into a monkey, which later evolved into present day humans, which God then interjected and breathed a soul into two of them. :rolleyes:

9. Paul of Eugene

Funny, I don't see Genesis 1 in the declaration of independence . . . ?