1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Paul Baptize Himself?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Jul 10, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

As Paul recollected his conversion and baptizm, he tells how he was told, "And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized, and have your sins washed away, calling on his name" (Acts 22:16, NET).

"Be baptized" is an aorist middle imperative, which can be taken as "permissible middle," where the subject allows an action to be done in behalf of self or allow to take place" or as a "direct middle," acting on himself, in this case, baptizing himself.

But we have the practice of proselyte baptism, which was self-administered. Is this a possible backdrop?

But then we have Acts 9:18, which have "be baptized" as an aorist passive indicative. Elsewhere the passive has the sense of the middle (1 Pet.5:6). Is this the case here?

#1 TCGreek, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  2. rbell

rbell Active Member

maybe there was only a woman there at the time. :eek:

No, seriously...good question. Interested to see responses...

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He COULD have been baptized by Ananias.(Acts 22:16)

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

He was baptized by Ananias! I really don't know what you are asking, seems to be Paul was telling what happened to him when he was with Ananias.

Acts 9:

18: And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith,(I think he received the Spiritual baptism here) and arose, and was baptized. (received the water baptism here)
    19: And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus.
    20: And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.

Acts 22:
    13: Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him.
    14: And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
    15: For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
    16: And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

#4 Brother Bob, Jul 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I do not doubt that Ananias played a role in Paul's baptism. I am only exploring the possibility of self-baptism from a grammatical angle. However, at the end of it all, we might just agree in toto.