1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Paul Preach Against His Natural Will?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by KenH, Dec 27, 2002.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you make of this verse?

1 Corinthians 9:16-17(NASB)
    16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel.
    17 For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me.

How does this match up with the free will/God's sovereignty discussion?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since Paul tells Timothy that he has a reward - and has fought the good fight - apparently Paul sees himself in the "Reward" scenario.

But I also see him admitting that God lays the burden of ministry on some - who did not ask for it. They are under obligation and must choose to submit to God's instruction. (apparently God forgot to 'change their will' so they would simply be following the dictate of their own will).

In Christ,

Bob

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob,

You sure read the English language differently than I do. Maybe we need an interpreter to facilitate our conversation. [​IMG]

Ken