1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Reuben know?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gen 37:15-32 is the story of Joseph being sold into slavery by his brothers.

Vs 21 states "But Reuben heard it, and he delivered him out of their hands and said, 'Let us not kill him' "

The next verses tell about selling Joseph to the Ishmaelites.

Then vs 29 tells us Reuben returned...

Did Reuben know exactly what happened to his younger brother? Did he buy the "an animal ate him" story?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It appears that Reuben was unaware of what happened to Joseph.

29And Reuben returned unto the pit; and, behold, Joseph was not in the pit; and he rent his clothes.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

I think I'm going to go with pastor Amy on this one :laugh:

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ha! :laugh:

5. RustySword

RustySword Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I had always assumed that he was let in on the real story later.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats my thinking because the others put blood on the coat after Reuben returned - thus he would have known something was up.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

From what I see in the passages is that Reuben stopped them from killing him and instead threw him in a pit. The coming back later (most likely to get him out of there) saw that he was no longer in there. Now here are some things that make me think he assumed Joseph was dead. The word here for 'not' can be seen in this passage as different meanings.. one is gone (left or disappeard) as seen in this translation:
    Or as it is rendered in another translation:
    Notice in the later part of the verse he states where can I go. WHich in the first translation can mean that if the boy escaped and went home and told dad - I'm done for and have no where to go.
    OR
    In the second - when dad finds out we threw him in the pit and that it was 'my idea' I'm done for an have no place to hide or go.

In both cases he seems to assume responsibility or maybe even that Josoph given to him to be responsible for and so no matter what the outcome he is the one in the biggest mess.

Now here is where I think it makes the case for him assuming Joseph was dead and that the other brothers never told him what they did.

The story never suggests he ever found out the truth. However what it does give us is that 'they' (all the brothers) killed a kid/small lamb :) and dipped the coat into the blood to make it look like he was killed. This lends to the reasoning that Rueben thought he was dead and this gives them evidence to prove their story and the brothers agree in order to hide their deed from him as well (because he didn't want real harm to come to Joseph) agreed with the dead theory and helped concoct a plan to decieve their father.

We find in chapter 42 where Rueben offers not one but both of his own children as an oath to his father if yound Benji does not return. Why both? One for Joseph and one for Benjerman as seen in vs 42 which shows him recalling the death of his brother.

At least that is my nickles worth.

#7 Allan, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is my official answer after much study.

I don't know.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scarlett, I take it you are NOT a politician :smilewinkgrin: