1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Spurgeon Believe In Limited Atonement?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Spurgeon was a supporter of Moody
    http://www.spurgeon.us/timeline.htm
    If you follow down the left hand column (1,2,3,4,5...) you will see at # 21 both Moody and Ira preached at Spurgeons church.
    And at # 31 Moody preached again there.

and here are Spurgeons thoughts on Moody and his own over zelious friends:
    http://www.spurgeon.org/s_and_t/moody75.htm
    As you read the above you will note that Spurgeon did in fact help in both word and deed as much as possible because of his own ministry/ministering needs as well.

However, I love this part in the Sword and the Trowel (located in link below) - speaking of Moody:
    :laugh:
    Though, we know of course his is not referencing Moody as being an ardent Calvinist but that there is a decided Calvinistic view in there.
    http://www.spurgeon.org/s_and_t/moody.htm
    and this at its end:
    With all passoin which Spurgeon wrote about Moody and his revival meetings even in defending him against the tirade of other Calvinists, one can not escape the fact that either Spurgeon actaully did attend some of those meetings or that Spurgeon at best over exagerated the gossip the he only heard.

#21 Allan, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allan , I still have not found any evidence from your "proofs" that Spurgeon attended any of Moody's "revivals" . And Spurgeon never used the terminology of "revivals" in a positive sense . The words "revival spirit" are as close as he came . I still am in John Kennedy's camp regarding this matter . Please refer to Spurgeon's remarks about "revivals" which I quoted earlier in this thread for a more full-orbed perspective from the latter .

#22 Rippon, Aug 6, 2007
  3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Well if you read the links you will see he does call them such. There is more at the site Spurgeon.org but what I have listed already, shows point of fact he called them revival meetings and used it in the positive sense.

Though I will admit he did not hold ALL so call Revival meetings were true Revivals.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Quotes from Spurgeon calling Moody's meetings a Revival from just the links listed (in a positive manner and none have it in the negitive refering to Moody's meetings)
    So far there isn't one word in the negitive about these "revivals" from Spurgeon but that these 'revivals' are not only genuine but powerful in the Lord.

#24 Allan, Aug 6, 2007
  5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes , Allan , Spurgeon did use the word revival in a positive sense which was rare for him . The line about ..."the revival under our American friends ... " proves your point .

But the next two sections you quoted were probably all written by W.H.Daniels , not Spurgeon .

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Edited>>>
    You are write about the one below but the words of Spurgeon are direct quotes

Messrs. Moody and Sankey in Great Britian
    by C. H. Spurgeon
    From the February 1876 Sword and Trowel

Note on the above article:
    But on the other Spurgeon did write them specifically and are just quotes

Spurgeon on the Moody-Sankey Campaigns, 1875
    by C. H. Spurgeon
    From the March-July 1875 Sword and Trowel

Note on the above articles:

#26 Allan, Aug 6, 2007